New Jersey
Options

Luggage poll

Ok so My sister and brother inlaw to be are buying our luggage as a treat. They keep telling us not to get a "large" case because its to much to lug around, heavier, more expensive to fly with etc. i'm not sure all that is so true but I don't travel much.

I want one large, one medium and two small.

They keep telling me I should get 2 medium and two small.

What did you buy or rgister for?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Luggage poll

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We use two large ones when we travel for a week.  We both probably overpack, but I don't think I could ever pack for a week in a medium suitcase.  The small ones are almost usless, unless you travel for work for 1 or 2 days at a time, imo.  If we go away for a weekend, we pack all our stuff in one medium suitcase.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree we will use the large one for something long or if we are going together we will share a suitcase

Other than that I would suggest getting a carry on bag. that is alway good for the short trip.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sorry for posting that, how did I get on the jersy wedding board....

sorry ladies I am lost.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am an over packer so I would get myself the large one and FI the medium one. I think it depends on how good you are at controlling what you pack.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My mom works for the airlines and always tells friends and family NOT to buy the large ones.  When you have more space you tend to overpack and with the price of bringing bags onto planes (checked or carry-on) going up all the time and the charge for overweight bags as high as it is (and possibly going up... or the maximum weight going down) it's just not worth it.

Totally up to you... just giving you my perspective!  :-)
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We travel a lot, but never check so we definitely didn't want any big bags. (I am like a master packer--I can fit anything in a carry on. You might not be able to lift it though... haha.) If we end up bringing an extra bag somewhere, we'll just check another carry on. I don't see a use for a larger bag myself.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it really has to be a personal decision based on your travel preferences.  I have a large and a small suitcase, and I use both a lot.  Same deal for my husband  I almost always end up checking my luggage, and we tend to go on longer trips, so a large suitcase is a necessity for me.  I only really take my small one on weekend trips.  

I would also consider how much you travel domestically versus internationally -- if you travel internationally, you won't necessarily be dealing as strict luggage limits and fees.  
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The bigger the bag the more you pack which equals weight... you will pay more!  But then again if airlines start charging period for all bags, who cares?  Im a huge traveler, I bought the big suitcase, wish I didnt, because if I fill it, its overweight. Whatever you get make sure its a spinner- they rock!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think with the larger bags you can go over in weight very easily. What about a garmet bag? FI and I usually bring the medium and small or medium and garmet when we travel and we've been fine.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    i like th medium and large ones for myself.... but with the way flying is today i woulkd go with 2 medium ones
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My parents got each of us our own set of luggage for Christmas last year, his is gray and mine is lilac (Laughing).  Each set came with one large, one medium, one small (tote) and a travel cosmetic case.

I travel every summer for 2 weeks and then smaller trips scattered throughout the calendar -- I couldn't really make it without my large suitcase.  I only use the medium for weekend trips/car trips.  I am someone that underpacks, but I always like space to bring home souvenirs.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am surprised so many people prefer larger bags. I want my stuff with me so it can't get lost! We also love being able to get to the airport later, bypassing baggage claim on both ends, and avoiding reclaiming/rechecking on international flights. We also don't have to worry about checked bags if we're able to jump on standby, if there's a delay on a connecting flight, etc.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I could never live with just a carry-on.  In my carry-on I pack a change of clothes and the bathing suit if they lose my luggage.  I couldn't do Europe or a foreign country with just a carry-on because it would be hard to replace clothes in those countries, in America it would be fine, and I could buy products at well known places, abroad its a little harder, especially shoe size, etc. so that is why I carry the bigger bag. I like to have my stuff with me, love matching jewelry, etc...  I like the new bags they sell on HSN with drawers!  I would love that organization!  http://home-solutions.hsn.com/joy-mangano-clothes-it-all-luxury-carry-all-luggage-set_p-5656529_xp.aspx?web_id=5656529&ocm=sekw|best_sellers
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_luggage-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:56b3eb03-d778-480e-be37-bc4738682027Post:1d8755cb-3ee1-495a-8ec7-d8f17ccaf203">Re: Luggage poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am surprised so many people prefer larger bags. I want my stuff with me so it can't get lost! We also love being able to get to the airport later, bypassing baggage claim on both ends, and avoiding reclaiming/rechecking on international flights. We also don't have to worry about checked bags if we're able to jump on standby, if there's a delay on a connecting flight, etc.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

I really wish I could do that, but I could never fit my liquids for two weeks in a quart-sized bag (I have a lot of products I like to use even when I'm travelling, but also have some liquid prescriptions).  And it seems like I always need/want heels for some reason when I've travelling, and those take up a lot of room, etc.  I've travelled a lot for weddings which tend to include bridesmaid dress, rehearsal dinner dress, shoes, etc... and then all the non-fancy stuff for any travel we do before and after.  I've only manged to not check my bags on three legs of travel ever (and on one of them I was clearly over my liquids limit, but lucked out that nothing was confiscated when the security guy went through my bag for 10 minutes and said "You sure have a lot of liquids" like 10 times).

It is definitely nice to not have to do baggage claim, but I also like going through the airport without my bags.  We rarely have connecting flights (a plus of having three major airports nearby), so that isn't an issue usually.

I wish I could pack lighter but I just can't (and as I said above, liquids tend to be a limiting factor anyway).

But it really depends on the person.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_luggage-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:56b3eb03-d778-480e-be37-bc4738682027Post:24a5c115-9cd9-4eab-a490-cf7697ed8bdb">Re: Luggage poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I couldn't do Europe or a foreign country with just a carry-on because it would be hard to replace clothes in those countries, in America it would be fine, and I could buy products at well known places, abroad its a little harder, especially shoe size, etc. so that is why I carry the bigger bag.
    Posted by Reilly626[/QUOTE]

Wait, I don't understand. If it would be harder to replace clothes, why is it beneficial to have a larger bag and check it? Am I being dense and missing your point? =) 
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_luggage-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:56b3eb03-d778-480e-be37-bc4738682027Post:c5bb9b8d-2b93-4a6c-aa76-778eb7c5ddaf">Re: Luggage poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Luggage poll : I could never fit my liquids for two weeks in a quart-sized bag (I have a lot of products I like to use even when I'm travelling, but also have some liquid prescriptions).
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

Ahh that makes sense.

Yes, totally depends on the person and what you need to bring. I am just curious about other people's traveling habits. =)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I mean I have to have the big bag of stuff because I cant replace my stuff in Europe, its hard to do...  I carry one alfit/suit in my carry-on just in case it is lost to get me through the day until it gets there.  I admire the one carry-on, I just cant do it. Do you do that on 2 week trips?  Most of my summer trips are 2 weeks abroad.  But having the big bag is not good because if I fill it, it is overweight... I just registered for the 24 inch ones over the 29 inch one I have Cool!

PS- with the one carry-on how do you handle shoes? Do you just bring sneakers and 1 pair of shoes?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've never had to pay for being overweight with a large bag. My bag almost never ways more than the 50 lb limit. It did on our 2 week honeymoon, but they didn't charge us b/c it was so close.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_luggage-poll?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:56b3eb03-d778-480e-be37-bc4738682027Post:acbeaff8-06ef-442a-8261-2eda656eaa48">Re: Luggage poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never had to pay for being overweight with a large bag. My bag almost never ways more than the 50 lb limit. It did on our 2 week honeymoon, but they didn't charge us b/c it was so close.
    Posted by cvl105[/QUOTE]

Ditto this.  I'm a pro at packing a 48 lb bag to (without even trying!).  But really, clothes don't weigh much.  Most of the time my large suitcase is in the 30-something lb range.  And when I have gone slightly over (twice) I didn't get charged either.
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We registered for 2 large rolling duffels 1 medium rolling duffels 1 rolling garment bag and 2 carry ons.  I only use the rolling duffels because they can squish to be compact so when we go on cruises and such they fit in tight spaces.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards