New Jersey
Options

Christening Gifts

Any ideas for christening gifts?  My DH is the Godfather and I wanted to get something special. 

Re: Christening Gifts

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Recently we went to a Christening as a Godparent and we gave a bond, some Disney stock, and honestly - I don't remember the 3rd item - might have been a baby cross necklace?  I'm actually Protestant, so I do not have a Godparent nor do I know that traditions/expectations. 

My nephew will be baptized in the near future and I'm not sure what I will be getting him. I was thinking a silver baby engraved bracelet, but he actually already has one (go figure.) I'm going to read the advice below as well.

image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When fi became a godfather I think we gave the baby a cross necklace and a nice bond.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I ususally go with this frame and money/bond

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/product/index.ognc?ID=316849&PseudoCat=se-xx-xx-xx.esn_results

I was given this one for being a godparent

http://www.amazon.com/Gund-Gifts-Procelain-Godparents-Frame/dp/B001IYRT60

In Italian tradition, the godparents by the baby gold jewelry that gets blessed with the baby at the time of the christening.  Usually a cross and chain necklace and a chain link bracelet. 
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think a cross necklace or if its a nice locket that she can grow up with both are very special. I got both of them one for my communion and one for my christening and I don't always use them but I always think of the sentimentality when I do. I also love the idea of a savins bond or something to help w/ college payments!!
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Page Brad...
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How religious is the family?  If they're very religious, a cross or something like that is nice.  But if the family isn't really that religious, I'd probably go for something more secular like the locket suggested above or a bracelet or a picture frame.  With jewelry, you could go for baby sizes or even something timeless that could be worn later in life.  If it is a boy it is a bit tougher.  Stock or a bond is also always very nice.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_christening-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:56c3f784-77d4-421e-a8bf-9b8cdd15ce7aPost:747686c6-8d2d-4cfe-93bc-2d88e055be86">Re: Christening Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]Page Brad...
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

Hehehe.

I like the idea of a cross or other jewelry. I have my grandfather's christening ring now and it's very special to me. (I don't know if they bought it bigger or if he had man-baby fingers, but it fits me now.)

I know bonds used to be the thing to do, but since they take about a million years to mature these days, I'd go with I bonds if you want to go that route.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_christening-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:56c3f784-77d4-421e-a8bf-9b8cdd15ce7aPost:1e6c799d-07ac-4e74-a747-a6e2c6bc3cf3">Re: Christening Gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Christening Gifts : Hehehe. I like the idea of a cross or other jewelry. I have my grandfather's christening ring now and it's very special to me. (I don't know if they bought it bigger or if he had man-baby fingers, but it fits me now.) I know bonds used to be the thing to do, but since they take about a million years to mature these days, I'd go with I bonds if you want to go that route.
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

They must have bought the ring bigger! LOL. As a child I wore my christening ring on a chain around my neck (with a cross) and it was so tiny.

I like the idea of jewelry too.  I think since we're about to hit hyper inflation I'd stay way from bonds.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My FI recently became a godfather and he bought a cross necklace, as pp have said if they are religious or somewhat religious I think this is a standard gift.
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards