New Jersey
Options

Fittings & underthings

Are we back? These error messages are utterly ridiculous.

Anyway, I called the salon and my dress is in. So when should I schedule the first fitting? The Knot checklist says 6 weeks out, so this puts me around the end of February for my April 10 wedding.

Also, how did you determine what kind of bra and supportive undergarments to wear? Do I need to bring them to the first fitting? Or can I go to the first fitting, see how the dress fits, ask for recommendations and THEN go get the bra and other stuff? (I tried the sample dress on with a strapless bra and the boob-to-thigh Spanx, but since I have a two-piece dress I am thinking that I'd rather not do full-body Spanx for ease of using the bathroom. I'm also debating whether to get a regular strapless bra, a longline bra or just ask for cups.)

I also have shoes, the veil and some jewelry options, so I will bring those with me.

Thanks! (If you can read this in between glitches ... insert giant eyeroll here.)

Re: Fittings & underthings

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine wanted me to come with all undergarments for the first fitting. Otherwise they can't begin alterations.  Maybe schedule a time to go in and just try it on prior to the first fitting. That's what I did.

I got a longline bra and wore high power spanx. 
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

when my dress came in, i went in a few days later just to try it on to see if i needed a bra or not, even though the sample was too small, i still felt like i'd be ok without one, so i wanted to see if i needed to get one or not before going in for the first fitting....and it turns out i didn't need one, which was fantastic! i didn't want to have to bother with it, and the way the dress was, i didn't even need spanx or anything else....it was so incredibly comfortable....
    but, you definately need all that you are going to wear with the dress when you go for your first fitting

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Chelsea ... how comfortable was the long-line bra?

I wore the Higher Power Spanx to my shopping trips. I think it's really comfortable (all things considered), but I have a two-piece dress ... I was thinking that to go to the bathroom, I could just take the skirt off and leave the corset top on. But the HP Spanx would probably be tricky to get off and on under the corset top, KWIM?

Thanks Danielle, too :)

IDK if I even need Spanx because I have an a-line dress, so maybe I'll just get some kind of shorts-type undergarment for under the skirt. Like one of those split-slips: http://underworks.amazonwebstore.com/Pettipants-Nylon-Culotte-Slip-Bloomers-Split/M/B0002U39FG.htm
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Re: timing... I'd talk to the place that is doing the alterations.  Because I wasn't trying to lose weight, they wanted me to do three fittings, starting 2 months out, spaced out every two weeks (and ending two weeks before the wedding -- that time was for any other tweaking).  They would have condensed the schedule if I was trying to lose weight.  I ended up losing enough weight due to a ridiculously busy work schedule that I needed to do a fourth fitting in that last two weeks.

But my best friend, who lives in London, got married in Italy, and bought her dress/got alterations in New York, did her three fittings over six days two months before the wedding.  So it can really vary based on circumstances.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I did my first fitting this weekend (april 17th wedding) I had a lot of stuff that needed to be done because I'm so short. I'm having it taken in on both sides and then hemmed. She is taking it in as necessary and taking up the hem but only a temporary stitch on the hem because once its taken in the leingth will change slightly. I'm going back at the end of March for a second fitting then I will have one more after that.

I am not wearing any sort of spanx but I brought a bra (long line would show through my dress) that was a regular strapless. Make sure you bring your shoes!!!!

**I'm not a bad knottie pix to follow soon but the knot was being SO insane today I didn't feel like bothering trying to upload photos.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

the longline bra was sewn into my dress. It was comfy to me...or at least I didn't notice otherwise. 

The spanx were AWESOME. My tummy was sucked right in and looked pretty much flat...woo hoo.  They have a hole in the crotch for peeing. I used it all night.  Sounds silly...but it works. Sit backwards on the toilet, like facing the wall.  I had no problem at all and it was so much easier than forwards and/or taking them off.

~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    also, I had to return the first longline bra and get a different one because you could see the boning from the first one through the dress. So definitely take into consideration your fabric and if it's thin or doesn't have alot of design on it.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a longline bra as well.  It was very comfortable/supportive for a strapless.  I got it at a place in Edison called Lingerie by Susan.  I can't remember the brand off hand, but they had a nice selection.

I'd bring it to your fitting so you have a better idea of how you will look/what needs to be altered.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards