New Jersey

The Jewelry Exchange

Has anyone gone there for either their engagement or wedding bands?  Fiance and I are looking to stop in there to browse for our wedding bands and would much prefer a recommended jeweler.  There are so many individual jewelers/shops and I have no ida how to pick one. 

Any recommendations? 

Thanks!

Re: The Jewelry Exchange

• edited December 2011
    Hi there,

Our jeweler has a booth at the JE in Paramus.  He also has a store in NYC.  It's the 1st Jewelery Exchange on 4W right after Riverside Sq.  He is absolutely amazing- fi's family has been using him forever. He made my engagement ring and he is in the process of making my wedding band, as well.  His name is Alex, his business is Jewelry By Alex, (201) 498-0755.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been there in general... I just don't like the overall feel of the place, and I've heard stories about getting ripped off.
  • edited December 2011
    We went to the one in Woodbridge...once...and that was about all either of us could take! It was an insane experience. This was going back about 6 years ago. My fiance was buying me a new right hand ring and we figured they'd have a huge selection of everything. We literally felt like cattle going through a maze of glass cases where salespeople were hwking us as we made out way through. Whenever we'd stop to look, the salesperson would show us some things, meanwhile other sales people were trying to listen from their booths or see what we were looking at, so when we passed their booth later on, they'd start pulling out things they thought I'd like and start telling me how terrible the other jewelers there are and how great their things are- UGH!!! It got to the point where we stopped looking in the cases and headed for the door.

However- I do know people who bought wedding bands from there and were happy with the price and the quality of their rings. I think if you're able to cut through all of the nonsense you'll be ok. It was just a struggle for us. But hey- maybe we look like suckers and they firgured it was open season? lol 
    imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jewelry-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5d83a316-b287-4b4a-8a81-e41f1d2b32baPost:5f2e92eb-248a-4b59-975a-57e06c41c099">Re: The Jewelry Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]We went to the one in Woodbridge...once...and that was about all either of us could take! It was an insane experience. This was going back about 6 years ago. My fiance was buying me a new right hand ring and we figured they'd have a huge selection of everything. We literally felt like cattle going through a maze of glass cases where salespeople were hwking us as we made out way through. <strong>Whenever we'd stop to look, the salesperson would show us some things, meanwhile other sales people were trying to listen from their booths or see what we were looking at, so when we passed their booth later on, they'd start pulling out things they thought I'd like and start telling me how terrible the other jewelers there are and how great their things are- UGH!!!</strong> It got to the point where we stopped looking in the cases and headed for the door. However- I do know people who bought wedding bands from there and were happy with the price and the quality of their rings. I think if you're able to cut through all of the nonsense you'll be ok. It was just a struggle for us. But hey- maybe we look like suckers and they firgured it was open season? lol 
    Posted by TripleJTobe[/QUOTE]

We've seen that happen!  Some of those salespeople are beasts.  For us, it's convenient that our jeweler has a location in the next town over... but yes, it could be quite the experience if you don't have one particular person that you're working with. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • xxstardustxxstardust member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got my cousin a collapsible magen david for her bat mitzvah at the Jewelry Exchange in Woodbridge. My parents got a GREAT deal on it (it was all diamonds, good quality, and only $500) and were very happy with the experience.  I don't remember the exact name of the jeweler my parents went to (I can ask when my mom is home tonight, if youd like) but I know that the key with the Jewelry Exchange is to go in a)with a plan, looking for something specific and b)to go in a specific jeweler in mind, so you're not hovering at different stalls ... it seems to incite competition, lol!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the replies.  My fiance bought my engagement ring from a booth at The Jewelry Center.  His mom knows one of the ladies that works at the booth.  Anyway, we went a looked at wedding bands (and while he is ordering one to match my engagement ring), he also quoted us for his wedding band.  I kinda want to shop around a little to make sure it is a fair deal.  It seemed a little pricey to me. 

Can anyone recomment a jeweler in Northern Bergen County? 
  • edited December 2011
    My family uses a jeweler in the exchange but the original one, in the strip mall next to the jewelry center. We have used them for years, very nice people. 

http://www.ilieseternallyflawless.com/index.html
  • edited December 2011

Sorry, I'm talking about Paramus.

• edited December 2011
    If you are willing to drive, FI got my ring from Billori Jewelers in Denville. His family knows them, and he took family diamonds there to get appraised and then created my engagement ring using one of those diamonds. It is unique, sentimental, and totally elegant....I couldn't be happier. We will be going there for our bands.
  • edited December 2011

I am talking about Paramus too.... To be honest, I wasn't specific as to which because I didn't know there were more then 1. 

• edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jewelry-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5d83a316-b287-4b4a-8a81-e41f1d2b32baPost:ea42dda1-a986-4fed-955b-9314973822a9">Re: The Jewelry Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am talking about Paramus too.... To be honest, I wasn't specific as to which because I didn't know there were more then 1. 
    Posted by Shan1214[/QUOTE]

Me too, until I went back and read that there was one in Woodbridge. LOL
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jewelry-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5d83a316-b287-4b4a-8a81-e41f1d2b32baPost:ea42dda1-a986-4fed-955b-9314973822a9">Re: The Jewelry Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am talking about Paramus too.... To be honest, I wasn't specific as to which because I didn't know there were more then 1. 

There are 2 in Paramus... One is just a few yards ahead of the other on 4 West.  :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I went to the one in Paramus and the one in Wayne Town Center, and couldn't find someone that had both the setting and stone I wanted.  I lucked out at the diamond exchange on rt 46 next to the Jose Tejas.   When you walk in the side entrance, it's the first booth on the left.  Father and son business, very good service.  I bought the E ring, and the bands there, and since then diamond earings for the wedding gift, and a diamond bracelet for the 1st anniversay.  Great service and prices, and really nice products.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • edited December 2011
    Go to one on Rt. 4 near the Macy's furniture gallery and go to the first booth on the left. It is called Cathy's and she has dark hair. She's very nice!
  • edited December 2011
    My fiance and I used Gallo Jewelers at the JE in Wayne on rt. 46 next to David's Bridals for my 2nd Ering. Rudy is the first booth when you enter the exchange. He's very fair and honest. He works well within your budget and if you pay cash he knocks the price down and no tax. He helped my fiance and I out a lot with my first Ering disaster and saved my fiance over $4,000.00. We are getting our wedding bands there in a few weeks. Cannot recommend him enough.
  • edited December 2011
    So this is a random story but it's pretty funny. I was at The Jewelry Exchange with my father in Woodbridge back when I was in college to help him pick out a diamond ring for my mom for their anniversary (she never had an engagement ring). We stopped at one booth and I was just pointing out what I thought she would like. My dad walked away to take a phone call and the guy grabbed my hand and said, "Honey...I'll bet he'll buy you any ring you want" and winked. I immediately ran out and motioned for my dad to follow. I was soooo creeped out hah
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jewelry-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5d83a316-b287-4b4a-8a81-e41f1d2b32baPost:1f519899-5116-495d-938c-dda4ecb42488">Re: The Jewelry Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]So this is a random story but it's pretty funny. I was at The Jewelry Exchange with my father in Woodbridge back when I was in college to help him pick out a diamond ring for my mom for their anniversary (she never had an engagement ring). We stopped at one booth and I was just pointing out what I thought she would like. My dad walked away to take a phone call and the guy grabbed my hand and said, "Honey...I'll bet he'll buy you any ring you want" and winked. I immediately ran out and motioned for my dad to follow. I was soooo creeped out hah
    Posted by RKPugs[/QUOTE]

ew, ew, ew! lololol it does make for a funny story though!! haha
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_jewelry-exchange?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:5d83a316-b287-4b4a-8a81-e41f1d2b32baPost:c84a2e36-62f0-44e8-bcb2-7371fc5b8f09">Re: The Jewelry Exchange</a>:
    [QUOTE]Can anyone recomment a jeweler in Northern Bergen County? 

We use John Sophia Jewelers in Lyndhurst for everything! My fiancés family grew up with the owner and all of their engagement/wedding jewelry has come from him. You might want to check them out. They do custom work too.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Jewelry Center on Rt 4 in Paramus. There's a booth called Prestige Diamonds and Burt is the owner. He's usually there with his assistant, Michele. I believe his family has a store in the diamond district in NYC too. My family's been going to him for years and we've never been able to beat his prices on diamond jewelry. I got my engagement ring there and I love it and couldn't find anything of comparable quality for anywhere close to the price. 3 of my friends got their rings there too. He has a bunch of ring settings in his window but he does custom work too. My fiance and I just brought him a picture of what I liked and he created it. He even made a wax mold first so we could see if we wanted to make changes before he made the final product! Good luck! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards