New Jersey
Options

Possibly flameworthy

I just spent the past half hour ordering Mothers Day flowers on the phone.  I'm sure the rep was located in another country and COULD not speak or understand english.  This makes me so angry.  If this person was located in the states....learn to speak the language and you should not be a rep on the phone!  Argh...just waisted a half hour of my life! 
My parents came right off the boat from Russia and they HAD to learn the english!

Re: Possibly flameworthy

• Options
    edited December 2011

I'm with you on this!  Don't even get me started on the out-sourcing of customer service jobs... I've had so many bad experiences trying to understand people on the phone when all I had was a quick question that should have taken 5 minutes to answer, but instead wound up taking 2 hours and tons of frustration!

image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My issue is: when I lived in France, I spoke French. You are living in America people- legally or illegally- speak English! Not saying all the time, of course still speak your native tongue, but don't expect me to cater to you when you don't even make the effort to learn our language. And I hate ordering chinese. I refuse to call b/c I can never understand what they are saying. It's a serious fear of mine.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    tvlirenetvlirene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was audited once and could not understand the person assigned to me. A government job!  It was so frustrating...I'm talking hours of saying can you please repeat that!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

In college I started a waitress job, and the manager actually had the nerve to tell me I should learn some Spanish since his whole kitchen staff was Spanish, I was furious, I ended up quitting a few days later.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I can see this is going to be an unbelievably popular opinion, but I'll voice it anyway.  The fact is, the United States has no official or national language.  Until we have one, we cannot demand that people learn 'our' language, as we have none officially.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

Closed on our house 4-15-11!
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:6e2dc342-1f51-4268-911a-b92594e1cc75">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]The fact is, the United States has no official or national language.  Until we have one, we cannot demand that people learn 'our' language, as we have none officially.
    Posted by Lalanav[/QUOTE]

Thank you.
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    What Lala and Melissa said.

Now, I totally get the frustration with customer service. Particularly since I'm constantly calling NJT and getting Americans, born to English-speaking families, who can't bother to enunciate anything into the phone.

A prereq for customer service should be an ability to speak clearly in your language of fluency.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry if I am just stupid, but I thought english was our language.  I mean, when you take "foreign" language classes its, Spanish, Italian, German, even Latin, when someone comes here and doesn't speak the language and are of school age they have ESL (English as a Second Language), jobs in this country want English as a first language, then if they ask for Bilingual its that second language, if its the case that English is not the language for america then I am going to start walking around speaking pig latin and expect to get a job, get paid well, and have people have to learn pig latin.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Agree with Cheryl- while the US doesn't have an Official Language down in the books, we all know that it's English.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I won't go as far as to say, "You're in our country learn our language!" but I will say that if you're in a customer service job, then yes, you should speak English.  It is very frustrating when I cannot understand people and their job is to help me.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:f2968208-ba75-4b4d-8635-69d9bf975d3f">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In college I started a waitress job, and the manager actually had the nerve to tell me I should learn some Spanish since his whole kitchen staff was Spanish, I was furious, I ended up quitting a few days later.
    Posted by matiffbengy11[/QUOTE]

<div>Was it because he called them Spanish when they likely were not from Spain but rather from entirely different countries?  That ignorance would make me furious too.</div><div>
    </div><div>I'm with Lainav and Melissa.  While it is frustrating when companies choose to outsource jobs that require speaking to Americans to people who don't speak English clearly (and on telephone connections that make it hard to hear no matter who is talking), we don't have a national language.  And beyond that, I think people forget that we're a country of immigrants and most of us have many people in our lineage who came to the country knowing none of the English language.  Irene, I do  admire that your parents eventually learned the language, but I really think we all should cut others some slack -- okay, I think it is fair to get frustrated if people have lived here for 20 years and still can't speak English well, but some people just came here and are in the learning phase that I'm sure Irene's parents and a lot of our ancestors went through.  They need time to learn.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think if you're going to blame anyone for the fact that a customer service rep is hard to understand, it should be the company that decided that they should outsource even if it made their customers' lives more difficult.  Not the people who are just trying to make a living.</div><div>
    </div><div>And considering that so many people who grow up in America never learn a second language and -- let's be honest -- never really master their first language (how many times do you hear/see "supposably" or "she did really good" or "your going to love there new house" etc.), I don't know that we should judge non-native speakers for having not mastered English yet.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm sorry I do not agree at all, 80% of americans speak english, if you want to live here you learn it again that is why there is ESL, your first language can always be the language of the country you were born in, but you NEED to learn English.

Uppereast, I get angry when people spell things incorrectly on forums or in emails especially professional emails, but I must say 99.9% (and I do not say 100% because I am sure there is someone out there that I know some how that does not speak correctly) of the people I know DO NOT say "she did good" my 6 year old niece even knows better, and is correctly immediately after using incorrect grammar/english/pronunciation unless she cannot pronounce it.  Maybe you hear it more because you possibly do pro bono work but then again chances are they are not educated.

• Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:ce0bb44a-b03b-4e40-a4fb-ade5a9078e4e">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry I do not agree at all, 80% of americans speak english, if you want to live here you learn it again that is why there is ESL, your first language can always be the language of the country you were born in, but you NEED to learn English. Uppereast, I get angry when people spell things incorrectly on forums or in emails especially professional emails, but I must say 99.9% (and I do not say 100% because I am sure there is someone out there that I know some how that does not speak correctly) of the people I know DO NOT say "she did good" my 6 year old niece even knows better, and is correctly immediately after using incorrect grammar/english/pronunciation unless she cannot pronounce it.  Maybe you hear it more because you possibly do pro bono work but then again chances are they are not educated.
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

Bravo, Cheryl.

And agree about some people may not know the proper spelling.  Some of my friends regularly misspell words - Do I correct them? No, because I'm a friend who does not judge someone on their spelling or grammar. 

And hate all you want, if you want to live in this country - learn the language.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hahaha Cheryl -- don't even get me started on my prisoner upstate (but he is a 42 year old with something like a 7th grade education who has spent over half of his life in prison, so he gets a break).  His grammar and spelling is about as should be expected, with the addition of lovely embellishments like calling our country "Amerikkka."

"She did good" is a pretty blatant example, but I don't think it is uncommon at all to hear someone respond "I'm doing good" when asked how they're doing.  Or "she did amazing" (instead of "amazingly").  Most people seem to understand well vs. good in most contexts, but a lot don't do so well with other adverbs.  I don't think you have to overhear too many random people on the street talking, or watch too much reality tv, or honestly, read too many posts on the internet to realize that a lot of people don't have the greatest grasp of the more advanced aspects of the English language.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My point is that when I was in France, while I did not speak amazing French nor did I have a great accent, I tried. I attempted to speak French and did so pretty fluently by the time I left. Not asking everyone to speak perfect English in day to day life, but they can try. However, if they are in a customer service role, they should be able to speak fluently.

What really angers me is the illegals who do not try to learn our language, but are perfectly happy collecting on our insurance and social security etc. Even if they are here legally, I know people who did not work a day of their lives here and still received social security and had $20,000 a month in medical bills for 4 years on our money. How that is fair I will never know.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    My grandmother has been in this country for 53 years and never really learned English, but you don't see her working for Verizon customer service.

I honestly just think it is bad business to have people work in customer service positions that you cannot understand.  It takes a frustrating situation and just makes it worse.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:a016fbfe-5566-4bf1-9e8e-c928ab25b9b2">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]My grandmother has been in this country for 53 years and never really learned English, but you don't see her working for Verizon customer service. I honestly just think it is bad business to have people work in customer service positions that you cannot understand.  It takes a frustrating situation and just makes it worse.
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

My grandfather lived here for many years and never completely learned English, he worked on the docks with other Italians.
    My dad spoke 4 languages.
    Most of my students come from a home where English is not spoken. It can be frustrating but I give a lot of credit to the parents who are trying to learn.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:cffea31f-b03d-4a8e-8120-fe2ace6f38e4">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possibly flameworthy : My grandfather lived here for many years and never completely learned English, he worked on the docks with other Italians. My dad spoke 4 languages. Most of my students come from a home where English is not spoken. It can be frustrating but I give a lot of credit to the parents who are trying to learn.
    Posted by Karma01[/QUOTE]

My dad came from Sicily and my husband and his family came from Poland when he was in second grade.  I am surrounded by people who have learned (or not really learned) English as their second language.  I am open minded and I am NOT agreeing with the people who say, "Learn English or go home!"

BUT WITH THAT SAID

Why would you out source  a customer service position to someone in India who does not speak English fluently?  Typically when you contact customer service you are already irritated and frustrated.  I just don't see how this is helping the situation and it makes little sense to me.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:ad74c0d4-4bdc-4d7a-9bd5-e8fac78c40e8">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why would you out source  a customer service position to someone in India who does not speak English fluently?  Typically when you contact customer service you are already irritated and frustrated.  I just don't see how this is helping the situation and it makes little sense to me.
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

<div>I agree completely with this, but I blame the companies and not the people who hold the jobs.  </div><div>
    </div><div>But having dealt with the New Yorkers who answer customer service calls for Time Warner enough times, I don't know that outsourcing is always a bad thing.  I'll take the hard to understand but generally very polite and competent Indian customer service people I've dealt with over the rude and unhelpful TW reps who seem to always answer my calls.</div><div>
    </div><div>I think companies should think a little harder about what their irritated and frustrated customers would appreciate... It can't be *that* hard to find people who speak English comprehensibly, are polite, and are competent.  Right?</div>
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:641d6389-6b50-4b10-bed7-8e9219597ab7">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Possibly flameworthy : I agree completely with this, but I blame the companies and not the people who hold the jobs.   But having dealt with the New Yorkers who answer customer service calls for Time Warner enough times, I don't know that outsourcing is always a bad thing.  I'll take the hard to understand but generally very polite and competent Indian customer service people I've dealt with over the rude and unhelpful TW reps who seem to always answer my calls. I think companies should think a little harder about what their irritated and frustrated customers would appreciate... It can't be *that* hard to find people who speak English comprehensibly, are polite, and are competent.  Right?
    Posted by uppereastgirl[/QUOTE]

Very good point! I don't blame the people at all.  They need jobs and they were hired.  It is definitely the companies.  As for impolite English speakers, that is definitely a big problem too.  I just wonder who is managing these people sometimes!
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:6e2dc342-1f51-4268-911a-b92594e1cc75">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I can see this is going to be an unbelievably popular opinion, but I'll voice it anyway.  The fact is, the United States has no official or national language.  Until we have one, we cannot demand that people learn 'our' language, as we have none officially.
    Posted by Lalanav[/QUOTE]

I completely agree. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I agree with you, Tiff. 

It's so easy to say "Learn OUR language".  But let's face it- when they come here from their countries they settle together (most of my students are dominican/puerto rican).  All of my spanish speaking students can speak english, but this is because they have been in school, surrounded by english speakers and taking ESL if necessary.  It is wonderful for them to know two languages and many of them will advance far beyond their parents because they were given the opportunity to come to America.  The parents, on the other hand, do not all speak or understand English very well, but they don't have it as easy as their children.  They need to work to stay afloat- most likely in careers where they are surrounded by people who speak their langauge or they really don't need to speak much at all. 

I honestly wish that I could speak spanish so that I could better communicate with the parents.  Like others said, English is not the "official language" of America.  In some places, it is the language of majority but I certainly don't expect to go into the bodega down the street from where I work and expect everything to be in english- it's not the majority in that neighborhood and I can choose not to go to those stores if I don't want to.... (but i do go cause the empanadas are goooood!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_possibly-flameworthy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:610303e0-efe3-4982-8039-7840ef14980cPost:180c63fd-c5b2-47cd-a0ba-f1db98181235">Re: Possibly flameworthy</a>:
    [QUOTE]I agree with you, Tiff.  It's so easy to say "Learn OUR language".  But let's face it- when they come here from their countries they settle together (most of my students are dominican/puerto rican).  All of my spanish speaking students can speak english, but this is because they have been in school, surrounded by english speakers and taking ESL if necessary.  It is wonderful for them to know two languages and many of them will advance far beyond their parents because they were given the opportunity to come to America.  The parents, on the other hand, do not all speak or understand English very well, but they don't have it as easy as their children.  They need to work to stay afloat- most likely in careers where they are surrounded by people who speak their langauge or they really don't need to speak much at all.  I honestly wish that I could speak spanish so that I could better communicate with the parents.  Like others said, English is not the "official language" of America.  In some places, it is the language of majority but I certainly don't expect to go into the bodega down the street from where I work and expect everything to be in english- it's not the majority in that neighborhood and I can choose not to go to those stores if I don't want to.... (<strong>but i do go cause the empanadas are goooood!)
    </strong>Posted by DMLJ[/QUOTE]

LOL I agree they are delicious ( I also agree with your post)
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards