New Jersey
Options

Thoughts on The Landmark in Loews Jersey City?

Hi everyone...

I'm newly engaged (about a month now) and don't plan on having my wedding until 2012 (September).

My fiance and I thought it would be cool to have the Ceremony and Reception at the Landmark - Loews, Jersey City movie theater.  It seems like a really reasonable price and its totally our style.  Has anyone ever done anything here?  Feedback would be greatly appreciated.  I've reached out to them twice already via email with no response, and I've also called them with no luck.

Thoughts and feedback are GREATLY appreciated!!!

Re: Thoughts on The Landmark in Loews Jersey City?

• Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've done Shakespeare for some school kids there several years ago. At the time, it was beautiful, but rather run down, and it needed a lot of work.

Have they renovated it recently? If they have, it should be gorgeous, if not, I'd be concerned about shabbiness.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Someone had their reception there a while back....maybe one of the old knotties will remember who...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ::sigh:: ... this was my dream venue.

A former knottie did have a wedding there, and I agree that the space is *beautiful*. It's totally do-able, but there are a lot of considerations.

For one, you have to rent *everything*. When I went to look, at least, they owned nothing you could use, so you'd have to rent every chair, table, fork, knife, tablecloth, glass, etc ... The costs (especially with the chairs) add up quickly.

The space also has no kitchen, so you have to use a caterer that can work in that situation. That's not really a problem, as a lot of places do that. But then you also have to hire all the servers and barstaff... we also felt that we would've needed to hire a valet, since it's smack in the middle of dirty Journal Square. And you need to even hire a fire marshall and get insurance for the event (though a lot of caterers cover the insurance part...)

In the end, these extra costs (and extra headaches) turned out to be prohibitive for us -- we would've had to have hosted a *much* more stripped down affair than what we were able to accomplish in a place that did it all...

Still, I do fantasize about how lovely the day would've been there.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_thoughts-landmark-loews-jersey-city?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:66a7bd54-20ba-428c-bc30-897784cf0a2fPost:25734355-9f71-4d44-bd98-7cd2f2471647">Re: Thoughts on The Landmark in Loews Jersey City?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Someone had their reception there a while back....maybe one of the old knotties will remember who...
    Posted by Laurms15[/QUOTE]

It was two guys. I forget the one guy's user name but he stopped chatting here after he showed us the (very nice) wedding pics.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think the username was MedinaSmall. I feel badly because I literally deleted his bio from my bookmarks earlier this week (the post-wedding purge...)
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thats right! He had a lovely wedding. If you get a good caterer they will be able to provide all rentals (chairs tables china linens and so on) they will also be able to take care of all staffing needs. I had my reception at Ridgewood Woman's Club which is an open empty space and my caterer (Sterling Affair) was amazing they hired all the staff for us and they are used to working in NY/NJ spaces where they do not have a kitchen. I HIGHLY recommend them!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

thanks everyone for the feedback! i just wish someone from there would actually get back to me! so annoying. they are my Plan A, but i've been printing out info on Plan B options.

thanks again, i really really appreciate all the info!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    My photographer recently did a wedding there. Check out her blog she posted some pics.

http://photonicolem.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    luv417: thanks for sharing the link for the photos!!! omg, its absolutely gorgeous!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards