New Jersey

NWR: FI's Bday in NYC

Tomorrow is my fiance's 30th birthday.  He is not a fan of birthdays, and is especially dreading this one because he does not want to turn 30!! 
Anyway, I took the day off from work and convinced him to as well.  I'm planning on doing a "day of fun" in the city.  I was thinking maybe Chelsea Piers or Dave & Busters, Lucky Strikes, and I purchased tickets to Fuerza Bruta at night.  (He likes all that cirque du soleil type stuff)  I was thinking The Trapeze School could be fun too.
Does anyone have any other ideas?  I want to have somewhat of a game plan tonight, even though we'll play it by ear tomorrow. 
Also, I want to make reservations at a good restaurant, but somewhere fairly casual because that's how we'll be dressed.  (I'm probably going to wear a cute top with a  cardigan over, jeans, and tall flat boots) Any suggestions?     

Thanks!
Photobucket

Re: NWR: FI's Bday in NYC

• smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How about Becco? It's Lidia's restaurant from PBS and we've been there many times. The food is great and it's reasonably priced and all the wine bottles are $25. I highly recommed it!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How are you coming into the city?  (Based on that, I'll think of neighborhoods for restaurants.)
  • kellybee83kellybee83 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thanks Sherri and congratulations!!! 

Uppereastgirl-
    The path, we live in Jersey City.  The show is by Union Square, so that area would be convenient.  It definitely doesn't have to be around there though (good food is more important than location), I could just make an earlier reservation and we'll take a cab to the theatre. 

Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you like Italian, I'd recommend these two:

Piccolo Angolo -- at Hudson and Jane; family-run red sauce Italian.  Definitely call today for a reservation.  They usually don't take walk-ins.  Delicious, reasonably priced, and run by a lovely family.  Not too far from the 14th St. PATH.  www.piccoloangolo.com

Malatesta -- at Washington and Christopher (a block from the Christopher St. PATH station).  Kind of hip but casual and sort of divey.  Cash only.  You can call ahead for a reservation or just wait it out.  I can't imagine the wait will be long on a Wednesday.  No website, but you can see the menu at menupages.com

Other thoughts:

Co. (pronounced "Company") at 24th and 9th -- really yummy Neapolitan-style pizza.  www.co-pane.com

RUB (at 23rd and 7th) -- good cheap bbq.  http://www.rubbbq.net/

Farther from PATH stations but still near Union Square but central/west side: 

Westville -- American with emphasis on market veggies.  Two locations on the west side (Chelsea and West Village) www.westvillenyc.com

Otto -- Mario Batali's pizzeria (although their pastas are very good).  http://www.ottopizzeria.com/
    Lupa -- Mario Batali's casual trattoria.  http://www.luparestaurant.com/
    Blue Ribbon -- you can't go wrong with any of their locations.  www.blueribbonrestaurants.com

And if you love Neapolitan pizza, Motorino can't be beat and isn't far from Fuerza Bruta.  www.motorinopizza.com/

Farther away from everything here but I love it:  www.frankrestaurant.com (Italian)

And I also really love Blue Smoke: www.bluesmoke.com (bbq)

I think that's a pretty full list of my casual downtown favorites :)
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and I tried out Trapeze School many, many years ago and it was really fun (although scary for someone who is afraid of heights).

If you like food, Eataly is fun to check out.

I know it is cold, but have you seen the High Line yet? 

The Forbes Galleries is supposed to be a quick but kind of neat museum (Forbes collected weird things like Monopoly boards).  And it is free.

Self-guided Village walking tour: http://www.nytimes.com/ref/travel/TOUR-GV.html
    (note that it is outdated so a lot of the stores mentioned have been replaced with much more high-end stores)
    edited December 2011
    Thanks SO much for such an extensive list!  I'm actually going to save your post in a file so I have ideas for the future as well.

I have been wanting to check out Eataly (the concept intrigues me), but will probably save it for another day.  I have heard that you have to wait in several lines while there.  Any advice on navigating it?  I feel like I would be overwhelmed and not know where to go. 

I haven't seen the High Line yet.  I heard about it a while ago, but had forgotten about it.  It seems pretty cool.
    Photobucket
  • smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Fig & Olive is by the high line as well as Spice Market which are both very good- you def need reservations I'd think
    Anniversary Photobucket
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Eataly twice now -- once on the first Friday night it was open, and once on a random Friday afternoon for lunch with my mom.  We ate at the pizza/pasta restaurant (they aren't actually two separate restaurants) both times.  The opening Friday night was absolutely chaos -- we waited an hour for our table and the wine/charcuterie section (where one would normally wait it out) was so packed that it was hard to get wine, and hard to find anywhere to drink it.  But all of that was to be expected opening weekend.  I had the spaghetti with pomodoro sauce and was expecting it to be as wonderful as the version at Lupa, but I thought it fell flat (but my two dining companions really enjoyed their pastas). 

The second time we went, we waited about a half an hour for a table, which wasn't too bad.  We grocery shopped while we waited, which was a great way to keep us busy.  We both got margherita pizzas and again I was underwhelmed -- Co., Keste, and Motorino are all much better if you ask me.  It was missing something, and was slightly undercooked.  I love pizza and eat a LOT of it though so I'm maybe more critical than most.  It was definitely better than 98% of the pizza you'll find out there, but I was expecting it to be as good as the very top places.

That said, the grocery section is awesome and I can't wait to actually go there to buy ingredients to cook (when I was there with my mom she did, and raved about what she used at a dinner party the next day, but I didn't buy anything).  The grocery section is sometimes a little hard to navigate because it is busy, but the lines aren't long.  I think most people are gawking.

Mario Batali has been there both times I was there, helping out and talking to patrons (not unusual at his restaurants).  Joe and Lidia were there the first time too, eating at the pizza/pasta restaurant.  So that's kind of fun.

So I guess my overall assessment is that I think it is going to be great when it calms down a bit, is already kind of there for gawking/grocery shopping purposes, but I'm not super impressed with the pizza/pasta restaurant.  It wasn't bad by any means, but I've had better.  I've heard better things about the meat restaurant. 
    edited December 2011
    Wow, you're good Uppereast!  Thanks for the review!  Eataly sounds like a whole experience... I'll let you know when I do check it out. 
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards