New Jersey
Options

Teacher layoffs

Has any of your districts announced layoffs yet?

Re: Teacher layoffs

• Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got our RIF letters last week. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    michelle221michelle221 member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    reduction in force
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    They are saying 75-85 teachers. We lost 64% of state aid
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    They went after the administration, fired 2 supervisors and all the janitors.  Hoping to save teachers, we will see.  Fiancee's school is getting rid of 15 untenured... A friend at Westfield in his 3rd year (tenure yr) was called in with many others and fired...
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are on tier 3 cuts now.... with loss of our surplus, 15% expected and now 55% loss of aid... I think total we have about 80 teachers being let go....I have not been officially told anything yet.. but I'm not tenured... so I'm assuming I am gone.  Anyone need a Math/Science ms teacher?! :)
  • Options
    Kathy8684Kathy8684 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So scary! We had a meeting a week ago to warn us it could be a possibility, but we don't know any definites yet.... and it's my tenure year.... ughhh
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not a teacher, but the school district in my hometown is cutting 20 jobs (I read the local paper to see what it said about the storm).  I was reading the ways that they're trying to make this work and some of it sounds ridiculous (for example, cutting foreign  language teachers for lower grade levels and replacing them with computers).  Really a shame.

Fingers crossed for all of you who are teachers...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes. This will be the second time in 2 years. NT (non tenured) teachers are out. And I'm a NT teacher!!!! I don't know what to do.
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I am seriously considering switching careers because I just don't know what to do anymore......

• Options
    gibribuzgibribuz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I have been sending out resumes for positions in other fields
    Anniversary
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_teacher-layoffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:725f54d1-82e6-4924-bb57-a06e8e6ef06cPost:67375f53-a55c-4100-af34-f334f6e568f3">Re: Teacher layoffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am seriously considering switching careers because I just don't know what to do anymore......
    Posted by DMLJ[/QUOTE]
    This is happening in all fields.  I know people who have been unemployed for a year and a half now and can't find a job in their field.

We don't have every detail yet, but so far one position has been cut from my department.  I am luckily not in danger (not only tenured, but oddly enough, one of the most senior people in my department that's had a ton of turn over lately).  They are also definitely cutting a lot of the activities budgets and getting rid of clubs.

At this point, I'm not sure how it's effecting the rest of the school.  The board of education meeting is on Tuesday.

Hearing the stories on here and what I read in the paper though, I think we're actually fairly lucky where I am.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh girls!  I totally hear you... it's been so stressful these past few months in my district too!  Thankfully, I was told by my building principal this past week that I will have a job next year (though the end of next year is when I'm up for tenure, so I'm still not out of the woods yet). 

If you're looking for a teaching-related job, why not try ETS?  I know that this time last year there were a bunch of jobs available for people who had experience teaching.  I know, I know... ETS is the bane of our existence, but maybe you could make a difference in the testing world and then once things calm down get back into teaching. 

By the way, this whole firing of the teachers thing is really making my blood boil.  All of these districts should be evaluating the salaries and number of administrators, administrative assistants, etc. instead of immediately looking to cut teaching jobs!  I can't even describe how furious I get just thinking about it!  Sorry, had to vent.
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow that's crazy.  My wife's sister is graduating this yr and has had over a dozen interviews already (all for positions that need to be filled).  Are these places looking for cheaper labor?
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_teacher-layoffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:725f54d1-82e6-4924-bb57-a06e8e6ef06cPost:24fddbc0-9997-4a21-a4b9-4955369308ae">Re: Teacher layoffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow that's crazy.  My wife's sister is graduating this yr and has had over a dozen interviews already (all for positions that need to be filled).  Are these places looking for cheaper labor?
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]

User- this is all pretty sudden.  We just found out real numbers for cuts.  They aren't firing for cheaper labor.  They are literally eliminating positions.  It's the only time you can actually fire tenured staff (although you have to let non tenured go first). 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am all for a little  "house cleaning" every now and then but it seems like it has gone way beyond that.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_teacher-layoffs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:725f54d1-82e6-4924-bb57-a06e8e6ef06cPost:5687ab6e-40c2-4bc5-ab9e-3257a81bcb4d">Re: Teacher layoffs</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am all for a little  "house cleaning" every now and then but it seems like it has gone way beyond that.
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]

It's not "house cleaning" though.  It's all the young teachers that are getting cut.  Our district also pleaded for anyone considering retirement to take the plunge and let them know immediately.
  • Options
    jtheissjtheiss member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely NOT "a little house cleaning." This is a slash and burn reaction to the budget cuts proposed by the governer. FI's mom just had her administrative position eliminated after 30+ years of service to her district and they are estimating 35-50 teachers will be cut in the near future all because of Gov. A-hole. Meanwhile, people making over $400,000 a year are getting over $1billion in tax cuts. Nice! I wonder how many teachers could be saved if those folked paid their taxes?
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards