New Jersey
Options

Worst BM dress you've had to wear?

Without being mean (or even posting pictures if they'd be recognizable and you wouldn't want anyone seeing - it is a public message board) - but what was the most awful bridesmaid dress that you have had to wear?

Did you have any options in the choosing? Did you give input but it was ignored? Any story behind why the ugly dress was chosen? Did *you* know it looked terrible but the bride thought it was beautiful?

Do tell!
image Tuffy
RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010

Re: Worst BM dress you've had to wear?

• Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My worst was more a sign of the times.  It was the early 80's and I had to wear a royal blue satin dress with a silver lace overlay, puffy sleeves and rhinestones.  I was in junior high, but I knew better even then.  There was also some kind of dangly beaded hair comb.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine was a "euro pink" (which is essentially bubblegum pink) Bill Levkoff number.  It could have been a LOT worse, but it was definitely not my style (nor the style of the other bridesmaids, judging by the discussion about it).  The worst part was the ruching at the stomach, which made all of us look much bigger than we are.  The wedding had been originally planned for July but was postponed to December, which meant that we were all super pasty in our bubblegum pink dresses.  Between that and the drag queen makeup I got for the day, one of the bridesmaids' husbands kept calling me "Mafia Princess Barbie." 

As I said, it could have been a lot worse -- I just think that the bride has VERY different taste from me.  We didn't have any say in the dresses and to be honest, I don't think that we deserved a say.  It was the bride's wedding, we were going to be in her pictures, and none of us had tough body types that weren't accommodated by the dress -- it was just kind of fug.  But that's the dress that the bride loved, so I'm glad we wore it.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mafia Princess Barbie!! LOL
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Also another pink BM dress - even though I stuck my girls in a pink that was just as brutally bright. The dresses were bought a store in the city without measurements or any of the bridesmaids being able to try it on. The material was see-though so another layer had to be added. I tried it on and the hook and eye broke. It was strapless and had no support. So I brought it to the seamstress and as she was taking the dress apart the fabric was just falling apart - there was nothing they could do for me to make it not strapless but to put straps on it for support. At the end of the day, the dress could have been A LOT worse, but it was a hassle making sure I had a dress to actually WEAR at the wedding!

The kicker was that the dress was picked out by the MOH who was in love with the dress when the bride got them, and she wound up going out and getting another dress completely for herself. Guess she really loved the dress huh?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I can't find a picture of me in the dress so I blocked out the face of another bridesmaid.

This picture doesn't capture the shineyness of the dress. The dress itself annoyed me but I found out the morning of we had to wear these wacky shawls. The weddng was in JULY!!!!!  The bride had a strapless dress on and I was so pissed and sweating to death. Then the strap that was holding that dumb shawl on my dress broke so I had to keep it wrapped around me the way she wanted too.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I can't post a picture or describe it but, ugh, so bad. No, we did not have any say. I thought for sure the bride would realize how terrible it was when she saw it in person, but she LOVED it. (And I still wonder how it's possible ...)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jaime's post reminds me -- when I say we weren't asked for our opinions, we weren't even asked for our sizes.  The bride ordered a few 4s and a few 10s, and figured those could be tailored to the right sizes for everyone.  Didn't work out so well when one of the girls who was supposed to get a 4 got pregnant and had to trade for a 10 (the girl who traded with her was more like a 6-8, but had to basically not eat for a few weeks to fit into the 4 she ended up with).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's the weirdest shawl I've ever seen.  It kinda looks like a vampire cape.

I've only been a BM once, and the dress was not that bad. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a MOH or BM 3 times since July 2000. I think I was pretty lucky!

In '00, all the girls went to lunch, tried on one or two dresses, all agreed on a simple navy blue chiffon...

it was on clearance and available in all of our sizes. 

I now know & appreciate this is not the norm, of course! 

A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Denise91980Denise91980 member
    First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    My sister's first wedding....to the first Larry (yes..she married 2 Larry's...lol). I was only 12, but we had to wear bubblegum pink dresses that were short in the front and long in the back with puffy sleeves and a big bow and sash at the waist...my sister agrees now that those dresses were hideous...we looked like birthday cakes. Thank goodness the BM dresses for her 2nd wedding were nice...lol
    BFP #1 1/1/11 EDD 9/10/11 dx:no hb DNC on 2/2/11 BFP #2 12/28/11 natural m/c on 2/6/12 BFP#3 2/16/13 dx:ectopic on 2/27 (given methotrexate)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Picture Snow White's dress... but in Maroon.... velvet top, puffy bottom in satin.. ugh...  and the last one, the cut was nice, but it was this terrible irridescent material that looks shiney and makes everyone look fat in pics...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $500 Vera Wang PEPTO PINK dress.  Ugh.  The dress itself happened to be a great dress, but it was a bubble gum/pepto shade of pink which was a bit see through.  To top it off, it was $500!!
  • Options
    rachaelb16rachaelb16 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Think Renn Fair.  I was my sister's MOH and had to wear a purple velvet dress with a rope-like black tie at the waist and bell sleeves trimmed in black lace.  For someone who is into this type of style I guess it is nice, but so not me.  She knew how I felt about the dress and we still laugh about it, she always tells me to wear it for Halloween.  Luckily we are both very laid back and understanding of our different tastes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm noticing a trend of pink = horror story

Just sayin.

LOL
    (I really hope that doesn't offend the pink themed wedding girls, i have a sarcastic  sense of humor people dont get sometimes - it was just a joke. Smile)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    <div style="font-family:inherit;font-size:100%;background-color:initial;border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;line-height:1;color:#4c402a;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;text-align:left;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">In Response to <a style="border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;font-weight:normal;font-style:inherit;font-size:11px;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;text-decoration:underline;color:#4c402a;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;" href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_worst-bm-dress-youve-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:7b5e7b82-c136-4354-bfd9-da116d3e18e6Post:ef55fc69-8878-4623-a1d9-eec66106a7ab">Re: Worst BM dress you've had to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm noticing a trend of pink = horror story Just sayin. LOL (I really hope that doesn't offend the pink themed wedding girls, i have a sarcastic  sense of humor people dont get sometimes - it was just a joke. )
    Posted by dalmatinka77[/QUOTE]

<div style="border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-size:11px;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">I think bubblegum pink can be *very* hard to pull off.  Shara, one of my friends complained a lot about a bubblegum pink Vera Wang dress too :)  It was tea-length too, which do anyone any favors (except for the girl who refused to wear tea-length, and got it hemmed to knee-length).</div><div style="border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-size:11px;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div><div style="border-style:initial;border-color:initial;outline-width:0px;outline-style:initial;outline-color:initial;font-weight:inherit;font-style:inherit;font-size:11px;font-family:inherit;vertical-align:baseline;border-width:0px;padding:0px;margin:0px;">
    </div></div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yup my answer also would have been a pink number I had...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    haha According to this thread, (Vera Wang) pink = bad news.

Some of these are pretty humorous, I must say.
    I have only been in one wedding so far and I loved the dress (we each got to pick our own - 5 girls, 5 pastel colors, 5 styles), so I can't play.
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Mine was a boring DB tea length dress.  It wasnt actually that bad but the tea length was horrible so we all cut the dress to the knees.  Much better. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards