New Jersey
Options

I'm Converting - PC to Mac

It has finally happened, I'm converting from a PC girl to a Mac girl for the home.  I need to buy a new comp before the old one dies.  Once I saw the two side by side and used them it was no comparison - mac won.  Just deciding now between MacBook and MacBook Pro. 

For those that did this - how long did it take you to figure out the differences between PC and Mac?  Any advice?

Re: I'm Converting - PC to Mac

• Options
    edited December 2011

I have a macbook at home. There's not much to figure out with the Mac. Pretty intuitive, it's more about breaking hobbits you have with the PC. Like you can't double click on the top bar to maximize the page, you can't ctrl+c to copy (you use the little apple instead of ctrl) Just little things like that you have to get used to, but not a big deal at all.

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It was easier than I thought it would be.  Macs for Dummies was a big help.  Do you live near an Apple store that offers classes?  If so, there may be classes offered about switching to Mac from PC or about features of Snow Leopard.  The Apple stores near me have those classes.

Here's an article about MacBook v. MacBook Pro by the way: http://gizmodo.com/5063492/macbook-and-macbook-pro-dual-review

I love my Mac -- have fun and congrats!
  • Options
    cknud112cknud112 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Seabass.  I made the switch a few months ago.  I have a MacBook Pro and really like it so far.  It's pretty easy to use, it's just like Seabass said, the little shortcuts you're used to with a PC are different.  It doesn't help that I have a PC at work either... I keep doing "Mac" things at work and "PC" things at home.  Ha ha.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I use a Mac at work and PC at home. The main difference for me is training my fingers to remember what keystroke shortcuts go with which. I'm forever screwing up Word docs on my PC by using Mac shortcuts.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!  Good idea on the classes and thanks uppereast for the article.  Every person who has a Mac says how much they love it and how easy it is to use.

I have a feeling I'll be the same way ck with the shortcuts. 
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I made the switch and I love it. I have a macbook pro and its been great! It was easy to switch from PC to mac.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I decided to go for a mac 2 years ago when my compaq laptop died.  It was probably one of the best decisions I ever made - I'm not a computer person at all, but I had no trouble switching.  It took me no more than a few weeks to feel completely comfortable with it.  Plus, macs look so cute, they are much less prone to getting viruses, and they have lots of neat features (like the time machine and spaces things).  Overall, I love it and I'm so glad I decided to finally give up windows.
  • Options
    viviannacviviannac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mac is awesome (use it at work).  I would say if cost is not a major factor and you can get the Macbook Pro, go with that one.  Otherwise, the Macbook is fine. 

Iam dying to convert (at home) but probably won't be able to do so until after our wedding in November. 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been saving up gift cards so I can get one -- my family and Mike's family know I want a MacBookPro so every birthday and holiday, they get me gift cards to the apple store.

If you can, go with the Pro, though they are slightly more expensive.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Best decision I ever made about a computer! Mine is actually a desktop version bc I love the wide view on it and I really don't need it to be portable. The differences will take you if anything a few weeks to get used to and then it'll be second nature. You should take some of the Mac classes at the apple store to get the feel for it and bring you up to speed. Honestly, not much is different for everyday use.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think I might bite the bullet and get the Pro with the 4gb.  Might as well go better now than be pissed in 2 years I didn't.  This way if I need more memory and hard drive at least I can do it with that one.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I made the switch a couple months ago and I absolutely love my macbook pro! It's very easy to use, and the classes are great!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards