New Jersey
Options

Why am I dreading invitations?

Maybe because I don't really care much about them?  I've looked at lots online and don't love anything.  Does anyone have recommendations for invitations in North Jersey?  
Photobucket

Re: Why am I dreading invitations?

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't care much about them either...and then I decided to DIY. hahaha.  Check out Wedding Paper Divas.  Also, Costco has them online for a reasonable price.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't love WPD and I looked at Costco.  I think I just don't like invitations!! :)  It's an "overdue" item on my list and I don't like that.  lol
    Photobucket
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally sympathize- I just can't bring myself to start looking at invitations. I've thought about going to Papyrus just to get an idea but I keep putting that off too.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    dmoney79dmoney79 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i got mine at www.theamericanweddings.com
    found some coupon codes at retailmenot and got way more invitations than i needed at a good price, and they shipped really quickly
    i loved my invitations...there should be a pick in my bio somewhere.....
    but they quality was really good...i was very happy
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am in the middle of choosing invitations right now and it's been a hassle because FI and I have very different tastes. We narrowed it down to two and we each want a different one. I'm trying to talk him into the one I like!

I like that FI is so involved and wants to give his opinion on things...but it would be so much easier if he didn't care!

I went to a place in Manalapan so I don't have recommendations in Northern NJ.
    Shana & Josh

28/100
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011

I totally agree. I wish I could just to an evite and call it a day. But ofcourse thats just tacky.  But in 5 years I bet thats the norm. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I did the same thing, Chelsea-- I didn't care about invitations at ALL. So I decided to DIY them, which of course means I probably spent more time on this than almost any other wedding project.

They're weird and quirky and crazy and totally look like we made them ourselves but I love them. Maybe I'll show you guys someday ;-)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just bought printable ones from Michaels, got them on sale and had a coupon so they ended up being about $15 per 50.  They included invites and response cards.  The ones I picked are plain and have a satiny border but they had tons to choose from.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to a little place in Garfield and the lady there is super nice and was very patient and I found the perfect invitation. The place doesn't have a great website but she has great prices and plenty to choose from she also has favors, jewelry and other things that are very reasonably priced www.eweddingboutique.us
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Invites was a detail that, from the very beginning, I told myself that I wouldn't get hung up on. I personally didn't see the point in agonizing over something that people would just toss in the trash.

So I just concentrated on finding something affordable for us and that looked decent, placed the order (another weddingpaperdivas.com customer here) and then moved on to something else. Now my only worry is getting the damn things addressed :P

It's totally O.K. to not care about certain aspects of wedding planning! Just make a decision and move forward :)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to Re: Why am I dreading invitations?:
    [QUOTE It's totally O.K. to not care about certain aspects of wedding planning! Just make a decision and move forward :)
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

That is a huge breath of fresh air for me!  There are some details that I couldn't care less about and I've been stressed because I keep thinking I 'should' be into them . . . it doesn't hurt that people keep asking me about certain details.  It's good to hear others feel that way about things sometimes too!
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    edited December 2011
    You know it's funny that initially I didn't care about invitiations like you and figured it was something just thrown away.  But once I went to this custom shop locally in SI and saw their designs, I fell in love with invitations. My fi isn't happy with the price I was quoted but hey you gotta pick and choose what makes you happy with your day. My place isn't in jersey but if you would like the rec it is
    http://www.plumblossompress.com/
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    ShanaJune2010 would you mind sharing the name of the place in Manalapan? I live in that area and need to get started on this invitation stuff...
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    When I started planning I said I didn't care about invitations either, and then I couldn't find any I liked and it was stressing me out.  I must have ordered around 10 different samples from online companies and was "eh" about all of them.  My mom put pressure on me to get nicer ones since they "represent" the event. I finally went to her friend in Pennsylvania who does invites and found that having the books where I could touch/feel them was a big help.  Since she gave me a nice discount they are costing around the same as if I'd gotten them online from a weddingpaperdivas type place.

Maybe you can try a place like Papyrus to get an idea of what you want. I ended up going with something that I thought I wouldn't like at all because of the way it looked in person.  Once you find a design you like, you can try to find it cheaper online too.
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    To me this is one area people seem to splurge on a lot t hat I refuse to splurge on.  I'd rather spend that money on something else ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_am-dreading-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:84b28022-3731-4fde-953b-1bdf88a712aePost:c8c3cdb9-5e70-4f23-ac28-3ed15829e4e1">Re: Why am I dreading invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]ShanaJune2010 would you mind sharing the name of the place in Manalapan? I live in that area and need to get started on this invitation stuff...
    Posted by smw42[/QUOTE]

It's Especially For You on Route 9 (near Moms/Gordon's Corner bus stop). I highly recommend her. I've known the woman who owns it since I was in girl scouts (her daughter and I used to be really good friends through camp/high school). She works by appointment.
    Shana & Josh

28/100
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_am-dreading-invitations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:84b28022-3731-4fde-953b-1bdf88a712aePost:ecfe41d1-9718-4c9e-a367-6562c17ca3ae">Re: Why am I dreading invitations?</a>:
    [QUOTE]To me this is one area people seem to splurge on a lot t hat I refuse to splurge on.  I'd rather spend that money on something else ;)
    Posted by ecg129[/QUOTE]

My thought with this was the invitation is going to be the first thing guests see that gives them an indication of what type of wedding it is, how formal, etc. So I wanted an elegant/formal invitation that reflects the type of wedding. We're doing black tie preferred and I think a casual invitation would send the wrong message.
    Shana & Josh

28/100
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I got my engagement party invites on http://www.mygatsby.com
    imageAnniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having over 10 replies to this post has been the highlight of my day. (rough day)
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards