New Jersey
Options

Poll

So I have tried to not get up and arms about things.  I get it, you're a mod, and you have a job to do. This is out of hand though!

What is the pay off? It's a non paid position. Are you afraid of being fired? Do you just strongly believe in the moderator role?

(And I think THIS post might beat Cheryl's for the fastest pull down).
Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Re: Poll

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I will be all up on this when I can vote on the poll at home! and LOL to fasted post down.  that should be our new goal...
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I seriously tried to be calm about all of this.  At the end of the day, there is a "job" to do.  It's just seriously become extreme. There's nothing left that can be said.

I just don't get why somebody would want to be incharge of that job.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It is not a job to be taken THAT seriously

I think the answers speak for themselves.
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Who the heck put equal???

The response that we will get is that we want to be nice to everyone and have a puppies and rainbows feast.  God forbid someone asks a stupid question and starts to feel the heat then they get all be nice to me it was an honest question.  No really it was dumb...now get over the fact that we told you that. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I get the whole "Don't verbally abuse someone because they will leave concept"- I really do! In the past, there were times where things actually went to far.

Here's the thing, when everyone is nice it keeps the newbies here for a post or two, but bores everyone else.

When people are able to be more honest and open, the board is more entertaining/interesting and I think you actually have A LOT MORE PEOPLE here readings.  At the end of the day, you want more people because more people = more advertising dollars.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

My post is stil the winner for fastest down :)

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:f75179f9-18c1-438a-8d4a-eaf41245d587">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]My post is stil the winner for fastest down :)
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

You always have to be the best!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:bbcd817e-b00c-4768-8ff5-3c1a04eebe9c">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll : You always have to be the best!
    Posted by kewltif[/QUOTE]

haha obviously that's not the best!  My "fun" post was booted, damned bastards...
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:d2756226-9bad-4059-96fe-d6e6bfe0ecc4">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I get the whole "Don't verbally abuse someone because they will leave concept"- I really do! In the past, there were times where things actually went to far. Here's the thing, when everyone is nice it keeps the newbies here for a post or two, but bores everyone else. When people are able to be more honest and open, the board is more entertaining/interesting and I think you actually have A LOT MORE PEOPLE here readings.  At the end of the day, you want more people because more people = more advertising dollars.

I totally get what you are saying, but come on.  This is not something that needs to be taken that seriously! 

And you are 100% correct in the fact that at times it would go a little to far. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Yet, the texbook bullying post was kept up when Cheryl's was taken down.

Ridiculous.  Loser.

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    I don't know if I explained myself well.  What I meant to say is you're saving 1 or 2 people but at the same time losing 50 others.  The more people who visit this website the more they can charge advertisers.  It's counter productive to be this strict.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've only ever deleted vendor posts. In general, I think our board does/did a good job at self-regulating. I would only step in if things got extreme--like someone being legitimately threatened or something. Just my opinion.

P.S. Do "old' knoties remember when everyone got up in arms that Kristel was never around and wanted mods?? I think I was the only one who said it was a blessing in disguise!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Melissa, we know it is not you.  If there is anything you can do to help or alleviate the situation, definitely let us know!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:01eb2d5a-2c21-41df-9957-69f5fc69c2a7">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've only ever deleted vendor posts. In general, I think our board does/did a good job at self-regulating. I would only step in if things got extreme--like someone being legitimately threatened or something. Just my opinion. P.S. Do "old' knoties remember when everyone got up in arms that Kristel was never around and wanted mods?? I think I was the only one who said it was a blessing in disguise!
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

I came here when there were no mods, so I dont really know, but you are correct we do a good job at self-regulating, its all in fun, its a board thats all, Tiff is totally right.

Nothing has crossed the line, and why is it okay for me to be called a "text book bully" and other random posters to attack (obviously I am NOT offended by this so maybe thats why) but when we do it in fun, from things that were fun back in the day we get deleted.  It's seriously just a bunch of bull, next time maybe it should say "virtual bitchsmack" so then people don't try to say "you are threatening to hit me!" waaaafrickenwaaa.
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:01eb2d5a-2c21-41df-9957-69f5fc69c2a7">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]P.S. Do "old' knoties remember when everyone got up in arms that Kristel was never around and wanted mods?? I think I was the only one who said it was a blessing in disguise!
    Posted by melissa82[/QUOTE]

Melissa - Yes, I do remember that.  It was a blessing she was never around and that is why a lot of the posts that were posted stayed. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:94639869-c69f-4526-a340-d7ca9fd477b8">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't know if I explained myself well.  What I meant to say is you're saving 1 or 2 people but at the same time losing 50 others.  The more people who visit this website the more they can charge advertisers.  It's counter productive to be this strict.

agree
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    On the board I moderate, we leave the post up but delete or edit the content that breaks the rules, spam, vulgar language, etc, and state why the thread was moderated.  Then we send a PM to the poster.  I wonder why that convention isn't used here.  I mean we have two moderators for one board here.  On my forum, we have about 7 of us that moderate 15 or so boards that total about 30K page views a day.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
    http://tinyurl.com/3jjv7vy
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The self regulating point is good, but this board isn't really set up for that.  You still need a moderator that can shut things down if they get really out of hand.  In the time I have been here, I can probably count those times on one hand, but nonetheless, it's needed.

I hate to keep bringing up how we do things, but it really is a streamlined processed so maybe someone is listening that can make the change.

When a post gets reported (self regulating), all the mods get emailed, if no action is taken or the number of reports exceeds a certain number, it's like calling 911 and the admin gets paged.  There are certain things that need moderation, I can't believe theknot hasn't been sued yet with all the crap that goes unmoderated.  The forum is responsible for all the content.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:1394eb56-f32a-4040-af1d-1fe0ac7e61d4">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]On the board I moderate, we leave the post up but delete or edit the content that breaks the rules, spam, vulgar language, etc, and state why the thread was moderated.  Then we send a PM to the poster.  I wonder why that convention isn't used here.  I mean we have two moderators for one board here. 
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]

I would bet that is the same rules here but a moderator is too worried about losing her unpaid, pretend  job so she censors everything.
    It's pathetic actually.
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:ab8e5749-fabf-4790-8a35-39667a91a7e6">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Poll : Nothing has crossed the line, and why is it okay for me to be called a "text book bully" and other random posters to attack (obviously I am NOT offended by this so maybe thats why) but when we do it in fun, from things that were fun back in the day we get deleted.
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

I can't really answer you because I never saw that other post, so I don't know why it was deleted.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    edited December 2011
    WE ALL KNOW IT'S YOU MELISSA!
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:1394eb56-f32a-4040-af1d-1fe0ac7e61d4">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]On the board I moderate, we leave the post up but delete or edit the content that breaks the rules, spam, vulgar language, etc, and state why the thread was moderated.  Then we send a PM to the poster.  I wonder why that convention isn't used here.
    Posted by USER876[/QUOTE]

We don't have the ability to edit replies...just delete. If I delete a vendor post, I do PM the person to let them know why or who they can contact. I don't know if vendors actually know to check the PMs though since TK doesn't tell you that you have a message.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yeah the architecture of this board is really bad (not your fault).  I can't believe the control panel doesn't give you the ability to edit though (just delete).  Can you at least restore a post?  We don't even delete the threads, just move them to our secret moderator area where they can be saved (if needed) or discussed.  I hope the person that redesigned this site got fired.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do remember the days without moderation, both on this board and in my kitchen ;)  da dum dum-

Anyhow, I think that there should be a PM sent to the board poster as Melissa stated - I haven't seen any real bullying on this board since that photographer was harrasing Allison on the board and by email.  We are all adults (well - within the legal age limit) and need to put on Our Big Girl Panties and deal with the opposition that sometimes pops up on this board.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was not (and have never been) private messaged, nor do I think it was bad!

Melissa it was the infamous bytch smack post I think Erika started it back in the day.

Real threats, and vendors should be deleted.  Have some fun with the others.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That photographer posts on NJ.com wedding forums all the time.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:d3eb0495-a059-4e1a-bc6a-d462548b6ad2">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]That photographer posts on NJ.com wedding forums all the time.
    Posted by JeannineG122[/QUOTE]

Ha!  How does it go over over there?  Any brawls/death threats?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Duh, obviously me! Who voted for Melissa? And I've told the person each time why it was deleted. Cheryl didn't you want to be a Mod at one point so you know all of this anyway. And you were accidentally banned we FB'ed about it for the 3 days you were gone as well as Melissa721 and I talking with Annie about how to get you, and myself if you remember, back!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:8d679d7f-73f9-4a2b-9cba-7a787456c81ePost:aa409a2b-961d-4748-8d35-0bbb140d260a">Re: Poll</a>:
    [QUOTE]Duh, obviously me! Who voted for Melissa? And I've told the person each time why it was deleted. Cheryl didn't you want to be a Mod at one point so you know all of this anyway. And you were accidentally banned we FB'ed about it for the 3 days you were gone as well as Melissa721 and I talking with Annie about how to get you, and myself if you remember, back!
    Posted by jaimelody[/QUOTE]

The whole "banning" thing is a joke, I know it was an accident.  To be honest, the moment I was sent a form to fill out to be a mod on a message board I decided not to do it, (didn't even read it thought it was rules which nah)

YOu told me why it was deleted? When? Oh wait just checked private messages, it actually says you told me at 7:02 Today...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    No one votes for mod's they are picked by Annie.  I applied after a discussion I had on email with Annie explaining my experience and also the need for more formal procedures with the admin's after a few meltdowns here........ but I was not selected, probably because I am a guy.
    1st Groom

View our FOR SALE items
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards