New Jersey
Options

Trip Insurance

We just booked our honeymoon and have to decide about getting the optional insurance. I'm leaning towards taking it, it's an extra $300 and covers the standard baggage loss and cancellations. Since this is the most expensive vacation I've ever booked I don't want to loose any money. Just wondering what other people have done.
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: Trip Insurance

• Options
    dalm0mdalm0m member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

I have only ever bought trip insurance once but the more important peice is the medical coverage while you are out of the country.

Before you just buy what your TA or the site suggested, go to insuremytrip.com & compare.  $300 sounds awfully expensive to me. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    It depends on where the vacation is (in or out of country), how much it is, and if it is refundable up to a certain point or not.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are going to Hawaii and it's about $5k for both of us not including airfare. It's partially refundable if we give 60 days notice, but we can reschedule which honestly if something happened preventing us from going we would probably just reschedule the same trip for later.

dalm0m - that site is pretty neat I put in all of our info and a bunch of less expensive options came up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I didn't buy insurance for our honeymoon since it's almost entirely paid for with airline and hotel points and we're staying in the country. But, I have bought trip insurance in the past and I'm a big believer in it, especially when traveling out of country for the medical insurance.  When I took a tour of Italy a couple years ago, sadly someone in our tour group had a heart attack during the trip. Fortunately the couple had insurance so they didn't have to worry about the medical expenses on top of everything else.

And, yeah, $300 sounds a little high - I would shop around.
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    NEVER buy it from the airline or the provider (ie Expedia, Travelocity).  Shop for it at Insuremytrip.com.

Here's why, (pasted from ClarkHoward.com)

Trip insurance policies should always be purchased when you are taking a cruise, a tour or traveling on a trip that requires pre-payment of thousands of dollars.

Such policies are designed to protect consumers by giving them refunds in the event of illness to the traveler or an immediate family member. They also provide a refund in the case of company, tour operator or airline default.

Consumers should always purchase a policy independent of the cruise, tour or vacation planner. Never purchase the trip protection plan from the trip organizer. Those types of policies are designed to protect only the company and not the consumer!

www.insuremytrip.com/" target="new">InsureMyTrip.com allows you to comparison shop for policies online.
  • Options
    Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought the insurance through our travel agent (it was about $250). We're going to Italy and it was 5K for the 2 of us without our flights. We figured that since we're paying this much money that the insurance was worth it to us since we can get a full refund at any time if we have to cancel for any reason.

ETA: The main thing to consider is if the $300 is worth having the option to have your money refunded. It was to us.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was seriously thinking about it because out HM is in January, but after speaking to the travel agent, if we have bad weather and the flights are cancelled then the airline does refund if they cant find us a new flight. And the resort she says will usually switch to a new week without penalty.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We are not. I know I'm jinxing myself, but I have never cancelled a trip in my life.  As well, like previous posters said ....I'm almost certain we can add it up to a week before, so g-d forbid something was happening, we could add it then
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We did, it 99 bucks each person, I do not regret it, would I do it on all trips, not sure, but this one I wanted to have it just in case.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We never purchased insurance before, but we did for our honeymoon since we are going to Bora Bora and it was worth the price for peace of mind to us.  I think we paid $250 or $300, through Am EX travel agent.  This does not cover flights however. (If you buy a flex ticket, you will be covered, but they are usually at least double the cost of a regualr ticket).  Also, check the details to see what type of event qualifies you for the insurance to kick in.

I agree with the poster above that many hotels will reschedule you if neccessary.  Sometimes there might be a "rebooking" charge.  Perhaps check with the hotel to see what they say first.
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know a little something about trip insurance from friends and relatives.  I will ALWAYS get insurance and here are my reasons.

You don't know what might happen whether a family member gets ill or you break you leg.

Weather is unpredictable.  Whether it's leaving to go on vacation or returning, if your flights are canceled and you need a hotel for another night, insurance covers it.

Lastly, it's not THAT much more money to invest in case you need to use it.  We had to use it once and insurance took care of ALL of the unexpected costs which were over $1000.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We bought it for our honeymoon, in relation to what we would lose if we couldn't go, it was worth it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No way.  Lots of credit cards cover at least part of bag loss, and any time a trip I've taken has been cancelled because of natural disasters (I have bad luck with hurricanes), the hotels and airlines have made me whole or close to it anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did for our honeymoon since it was the cost of a brand new car...

I used insuremytrip.com and also opted for their "cancel for any reason" clause due to DHs work situation. This way up to 2-3 days before you can cancel for a full refund. We needed that peace of mind booking so far in advance for so much $$$
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards