New Jersey
Options

Reception question?

Is the cocktail hour reception "in" now? or only for second weddings?

Re: Reception question?

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I know at least one girl here had a cocktail-style reception and liked it.

I would've considered it, but for the most part it seemed like cocktail receptions were more expensive than sit-down dinners.
  • Options
    hunniebunch1ohunniebunch1o member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

ohhh really?? thank you very much. im going to check into it. i wasnt sure if it was tacky or out of style or not.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldnt care for it, but that is me, too South Beach for my taste
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I personally prefer more structure than that, but that's a personal preference.  I don't think it is dated or tacky -- it is probably the more modern alternative to a buffet  (but as others said, buffet or cocktail reception does not necessarily = cheaper).  On the other hand, I don't think it is necessarily "in" -- I think it is just something that some people do and others don't.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I've only heard of one person doing it.  I inquired about it when I was planning my wedding, but it wasn't any cheaper.  I was only interested if I was going to save a lot of money.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I am having a cocktail style reception. We didnt want to do the traditional sit down. I think this will work best for having more of a big party type atmosphere, which is what we are going for.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The only downside I can see to the cocktail hour reception is the structure mentioned above. It may be hard to get everyone sitting down for the first/father/mother dances, etc.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I honestly would have preferred to have had one.  I was just at one this past summer & it was not unstructured at all, not much of a difference of a traditional sit down in my opinion.  I had a great time.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I bet I'd forget to sit down and have heavier food at any point in the evening... I'm bad about that at work events.  And then, yeah... toasts, cake, dances.

One other thing -- not sure if it would matter to you, but a few of the comments here have been "I looked into it but it wasn't cheaper."  Which is what one of my friends who just started planning a wedding said to me the other day.. that she looked into it at one place and it wasn't much cheaper.  And is something Erica (the knottie who had a cocktail reception) mentioned many times when people asked about cocktail receptions.  Which means that people (including your guests) may perceive it as a cost-cutting measure rather than a stylistic choice.  I'm not sure if I'd want to do it in that case because guests may prefer a full meal, and may think that you cheaped out in not getting them one.

• Options
    hunniebunch1ohunniebunch1o member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    thanks everybody!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards