New Jersey
Options

XP: Place Cards

We have several married couples invited to our wedding who have married sons (also invited) with the same first name. What is the proper etiquette for addressing place cards? Would it be Mr. and Mrs. John Smith or John and Sally Smith. If the former, how do I distinguish between John Smith and his son John Smith? They don't use the Jr. and Sr. designations themselves.

Re: XP: Place Cards

• Options
    edited December 2011

I think proper etiquette is Mr. and Mrs. John Smith....but I could be wrong.
    Does the father or son have a middle name you can use to distinguish them?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'd distinguish by using their middle name or at least the first initial of their middle name- Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Smith, Mr. and Mrs. John Y. Smith (hopefully they at least have different middle names).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If there are, say,  three Mr. & Mrs. John Smiths, you could also write "Mr. & Mrs. John & Jane Smith," Mr. & Mrs. John & Ann Smith..." even though you're not necessarily doing that for other couples.

If any wives have the same name, I'm out of suggestions ;)
    A Yankee Fan & A Red Sox Fan...
    imageimage
    "5.01.09"

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I'm doing "Mr. and Mrs. John and Jane Smith" and "Mr. and Mrs. John and Nancy Smith."

Otherwise, I would find out middle initials. If those are the same, too, then I don't think it's a giant deal to use Jr. and Sr. Or maybe reach out to them ahead of time and say, "Uncle John, you're at Table 5. Cousin John, you're at Table 9."
  • Options
    Pink7781Pink7781 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies!
  • Options
    DandT1206DandT1206 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    yeah i would try the middle name route... or use the wive's first name as well.  Definitely include the "Mr. & Mrs." part
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    good question!  I have to do my place cards this week and I have the same situation :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards