New Jersey
Options

Veil Question

So...I found my dress yesterday!!
But...the veil is $400!! I am clueless as to how much veils are, but is $400 just crazy?

It does match the dress with the lace patterns throughout it.

THX!!

Re: Veil Question

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That's just sick.
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Honestly the ones with lace are aways more expensive esp if it matches your dress. Mine was a bit expensive and I have to say it didn't rip it was beautiful and the material was perfect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I think I am going to pass on it when i give them my deposit for the dress tomorrow. It seemed high, but then again, i have no clue when it comes to veils, bc of all of the detail involved.

• Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    Check out Added Attractions in Garwood. They carry a lot of the same veil designers and are much more affordable. They also let you borrow the veils to take to your fitting if you're unsure. Their rack of veils is a little overwhelming at first but they have a lot of gorgeous ones and may have the one you tried on.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    That's just crazy!!  I paid just about $100 for mine and it had 3 layers and didn't rip.    You can definitely find something really nice for far less that that.
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    If you don't mind sharing- where did you find your gown?
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Mine was $40. I wasn't willing to pay $100+ for a piece of tulle.

But it's about YOUR budget and YOUR priorities, not ours.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh, I wouldn't say that a $400 veil is for someone on a tight budget.   My budget wasn't that tight and I would never even consider spending that much on a veil.
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    PP is right- you have to be happy in the end. Don't rush into the decision and get caught up. Take a look at veils in other stores and compare, and if you still love the $400 and you can afford it then your decision is clear.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    weren't you trying to save money by making your own bouquet but you are considering spending that much on a veil?  You can at least save your flowers, a veil is cheap as hell to make yourself and looks prettier than a bouquet out of silks.
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with MB -- it is about your priorities and your budget.  Do you $400 love it?  Have you found something for less than $400 that you loved almost as much (adjusting for price)?

I personally don't think that's unreasonable, but it depends on the style/the quality/the length/etc.  I got my veil (the simplest elbow-length veil ever) for free (which was about what I was willing to spend for a veil -- they're definitely not my thing), but the retail price was $350.  Some veils cost that much, or more (or way, way more).  Or less, or way, way less.  Like anything in wedding planning, other people may balk at how much or how little you spend on something, but it depends on what is important to you, what you love, and what budget you're working with.  I'd just look around to make sure that you can't find something you love as much for less, and think about whether $400 is worth it to you, and make your decision. 

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_veil-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:997f716e-4094-4e24-b437-9f320709562fPost:08f2504c-a6c1-45d3-a8df-9d40323c8d3b">Re: Veil Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]weren't you trying to save money by making your own bouquet but you are considering spending that much on a veil?  You can at least save your flowers, a veil is cheap as hell to make yourself and looks prettier than a bouquet out of silks.
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

agree 100%
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I went to Bijou Bridal in Paramus. I literally found the dress in 10 minutes, and since it was the first place I went to, i had no idea how much veils usually went for.

I shopped around for quotes on things like flowers, centerpieces, etc, but really didn't give much thought to the cost of the veil until yesterday, so i really did not know what to expect in terms of pricing.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am sure Bijou has veils that are less than $400, did you even ask.   It is just very funny how in one post you are talking about how you are on a tight budget and want to use silk flowers and make your own arrangements, then a few minutes later you are posting about a $400 veil!    If I was on a tight budget, I wouldn't even be considering a $400 veil!!  Like Cheryl said, you can make a veil that you can wear for your ceremony and take it off, but everyone is going to see your flowers for the whole ceremony/reception...maybe take some of that veil money and put it towards flowers!
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Didn't go for matching veil, it was well over a thousand even though it matched my dress.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_veil-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:997f716e-4094-4e24-b437-9f320709562fPost:505cbbed-ecbe-44cf-b3c2-161b62ad8d16">Re: Veil Question</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went to Bijou Bridal in Paramus. I literally found the dress in 10 minutes, and since it was the first place I went to, i had no idea how much veils usually went for. I shopped around for quotes on things like flowers, centerpieces, etc, but really didn't give much thought to the cost of the veil until yesterday, so i really did not know what to expect in terms of pricing.
    Posted by triciasloc[/QUOTE]

Honesty here, I never throughout all the veils I saw even CONSIDERED a 400 dollar veil, if your budget enough to want silk flowers, your budget enough to not get a matching veil to your lace gown, I would have never even thought of commenting on a 400 dollar veil unless I had unlimited money in that area.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ladies ladies, you know I love you all.  But she simply ASKED if 400 was a lot.  If 400 WAS a normal amount for a veil, then obviously she would have to fork it over, budget or not.  That's why she was asking, to get a better understanding of what amount is normal, as to find an amount that is on the lower end.  I know this person personally, and she's not a snot, I promise! :)
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't see Cheryl's posts until now, and I have to say that I agree that your money may be better spent on bouquets.  It is definitely up to you -- if you decided to spend 95% of your budget on a really, really, really ridiculously fancy veil because you super loved it and didn't care about anything else, that would be your choice and you're certainly allowed to do that and more power to you.  But -- to be honest, as a wedding guest I'd probably notice your veil but not know if you paid $25 or $2500 on it because I don't think anyone looks at brides' veils that closely, but I'd probably also notice that your bouquets were not real.  And as others posted in the bouquet thread, you can get real, pretty flowers at a pretty reasonable price if you shop around.  

This is probably none of our business, and it all depends on your priorities and such... but if there's room in your budget I personally would think flowers are the way to go.  They die, but they look pretty to your guests at your wedding/in your pictures
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    You can get an inexpensive veil on eBay, Craigslist or Etsy.com. Or Google for DIY tutorials and make your own.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    with that said trish, I do agree that real flowers look much better.  I could help you with an inexpensive bouqet (that could cost just as little as a fake one).  I'll ask my florist for you.
    imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $400 is a lot in my opinion.  I paid $60 or so for mine on etsy.  It was beautiful and didn't rip.  I used etsy seller BellaBridalVeils.  Her veils are very nice and are very reasonable.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have to share something which is embarrassing......I got my dress last April so well in advance and it was one of the first things I did when planning...I did not do research and when I fell in love with my dress I also fell in love with the veil the dress store put on me, my mom decided to get me both without us asking how much the veil was....Well, the dress is $1000 and the freaking veil is $600!!!!!! I want to kick myself now but I think it's too late...Another words don't do it, there are so many pretty veils under $200
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    $400 is on the higher end, but honestly if its something you love and it matches perfect (and u can afford it), why not? Some people have priorities in different areas. mine was my dress and photographer, i tightened up the budgets for the florist and cars so that I could have a little extra room to splurge. it your wedding and it YOU love it.. get it : )

but def looka round if you have the time and patience Laughing
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you!!! I went this morning, and did not get the veil. I am definitely going to look around, and thank you for the web referrals- i will check them out!
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    edited December 2011
    Congrats on getting the gown at least :)
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would get it made. Lots of girls here have recommended Added Attractions.

I had my veil made with the same lace as my dress (I also had my dress made, but it's fairly easy to find the same or very, very similar lace for most dresses) and hand beaded with the same beads as my dress--it was absolutely gorgeous and much less expensive than retail. Even the absolute best veil materials are not that expensive--there is a huge mark up.
  • Options
    JulepheniaJulephenia member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    So, do you have pics of the dress???
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I am going to upload some pics now to my profile :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards