New Jersey

Question re: traffic tickets

I asked a question on the Nest a while back about going to court about a traffic ticket, and asking if they'll just let me pay a higher fine in lieu of getting points on my license.The girls there said they've done it with no problem.

Do I have to go on the date that's written on the front of the ticket? I called a while back (because it said to call them and confirm that I'd be appearing in person) and the woman said that they'd send me something in the mail about a new court date and I did not have to appear on the ticket date.

I haven't heard from them, and the court date written on the ticket is tonight. I don't want to lose my opportunity to avoid the points. If I have to go there tonight to contest it, I have to leave, like, five minutes ago.

For those of you who argued it down to a higher fine, did you appear on the date written on the ticket? Or were you given another date?

(This is in Jersey City, if it matters. I called the number to ask and I've been on hold for half an hour.)

Re: Question re: traffic tickets

• NikkiPSUNikkiPSU member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would go anyway, the worst that could happen is they tell you to leave.  If you don't go you might end up in a little bit more trouble than you want to be.
    Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011
    I have done this in the past and they have sent me a new court date. This was years ago so I am not sure if something has changed.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I have done it and I went to the court date listed on my ticket.  It was in NY though so I dont know if that makes a difference.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • viviannacviviannac member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would urge you to go tonight because you do not want to miss the opportunity to avoid the points.  When you get there just approach the prosecutor to discuss the option of the higher fine.  Every municipal court works differently but that would be the person to talk to. 
    Anniversary
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks! I ran over there and they said that I'm registered in the system as needing a new court date, although they don't yet have a date for me.

In other words, I didn't need to be there tonight, I just have to hang tight and wait for a letter telling me when I DO need to come in.

I appreciate the advice!
  • leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Call and ask to speak with the municipal prosecutor. 
  • Dizzy1687Dizzy1687 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Jersey City & Newark take forever to re-issue court dates.  They basically make you pay the court fees and avoid the points.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards