New Jersey
Options

How much should a good photog cost?

So I don't know what to do about photography. I really love one photographer's photos and he shot my friend's wedding 3 years ago so I know he'd do an excellent job. The problem is, since he was just starting out when he did her wedding his rates were much lower than they are now.

The bare minimum package he offers is 4k but I would probably want the next level package at 5k which gives 2 extra hours coverage and a second photographer.

Is this expensive for northern nj or pretty typical? My fi thinks its really expensive but the photos are really important to me so he's pretty much deferring to my decision on this. I don't know what to do.

Re: How much should a good photog cost?

• Options

I think it's only al ittle expensive for a high quality phtoographer, not not crazy high.

We found that, including a nice album for us and some small parent albums, it was hard to find anyone of good quality below $3k and a second ptotographer (which we're not doing) pushes it close to $4k.

• Options
    I agree that it's a bit above average, but not insanely more. Really, no one here can tell you what magical number = good photography because there is none. Have you looked into the pricing of other comparable photographers? Is he on par with them? If so, and you have the funds for it, do it. 

I also got my photographer early in his career, so I got him for much less $ than those are now. I'm so glad because there is no way we would've been able to afford someone of his quality! 
  • Options
    I've looked at a few others that look like they do similar quality and style and I'm finding most to be at least $3k. I guess we could save about $2k by going with someone else which I'm open to, it's just that we know this guy will do a great job because I've seen him in action. I'm skeptical to pick someone just by going off of the photos they show me. I feel like of course every photographer is only going to show their best work but how do you know most of your pics will be great? Im finding this is the hardest choice for the whole wedding and it's even more difficult because my fi doesn't really care about the photos. Thank you for the replies, it's very helpful.
  • Options
    As PP it's a little high but not crazy. I paid about $3800 for my photos.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for the input.  My only other hesitation is that if we wanted an album that is purchased separately.  That kinda bugs me.  If we're going to spend thousands of dollars, I'd really like an album thrown in.  I know we will get all the images and can have it made on our own for cheaper, I'm sure, but I still think they should include an album at that price. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-much-should-a-good-photog-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a298cb32-b81b-4383-9996-a3062a95f721Post:8c3cf897-dee4-4006-91b4-d346b59e8a11">Re: How much should a good photog cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you for the input.  My only other hesitation is that if we wanted an album that is purchased separately.  That kinda bugs me.  If we're going to spend thousands of dollars, I'd really like an album thrown in.  I know we will get all the images and can have it made on our own for cheaper, I'm sure, but I still think they should include an album at that price. 
    Posted by avolker1[/QUOTE]
    Well, again, do the other comparable photogs have an album included in the $3K price, or is that extra? Most have albums as an add-on or part of a more expensive package. We didn't do albums because it's not in the cards right now. We're going to do small photobooks for the parents and then save up to get a nice album in the future. 
  • Options
    I think it's slightly above average but not crazy for good photography. That is about how much we are paying as well. Most of our package was a la carte, which I liked so that we could pick exactly what we wanted to include. A 50 photo album was included, but we had the option to upgrade the type of album, and add to the number of images, which we ended up doing. We also added 1 hour of photo time to the cheapest package so that we didn't have to upgrade to the more expensive package which included 2 hours, one of which we didn't need. I let myself splurge a little to get the photographer I wanted. It was really important to me since you can't redo the pictures!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-much-should-a-good-photog-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a298cb32-b81b-4383-9996-a3062a95f721Post:a821f9a6-d922-4ca3-9525-efc9e36f630c">Re: How much should a good photog cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much should a good photog cost? : Well, again, do the other comparable photogs have an album included in the $3K price, or is that extra? Most have albums as an add-on or part of a more expensive package. We didn't do albums because it's not in the cards right now. We're going to do small photobooks for the parents and then save up to get a nice album in the future. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

No, all of the ones I'm finding that I like do not include the album in the price.  It is a separate add-on cost.  A couple throw in a portrait.  Maybe I just didn't realize how expensive the album itself could be on top of the photographer.  I guess we could always go back later to get a nice album if we wanted to.  I like the idea of photobooks for the parents.
  • Options
    We also hired one for about 5k. I was starting to get worried if I made a mistake and if they were just over charging us it is 3k just for them to show up I guess I feel some what better now.
  • Options
    Bottom line - it really depends on your definition of "good".
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-much-should-a-good-photog-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:a298cb32-b81b-4383-9996-a3062a95f721Post:499ea12f-c73f-4f2b-9e46-348703cb899c">Re:How much should a good photog cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We also hired one for about 5k. I was starting to get worried if I made a mistake and if they were just over charging us it is 3k just for them to show up I guess I feel some what better now.
    Posted by 1wrigley[/QUOTE]

<div>Wait, how are they "over charging" you? Is there somehwere that says that all photographers are created equal and they should all charge the same price?</div>
  • Options
    We got 1 album in our package.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    It really depends on your needs is what i realized.  we looked at the packages offered and negotiated for what we wanted (an album, all day shooting, and rights to all the pics) and we came out at 3k, and i'd like to think he's a great photog as he has great reviews on here too.  
    we also got the e-ession and a huge canvas print
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

If you like their work, go with them.  I know a couple of friends who are very disappointed with their photos.  I on the other hand spent just over 5K - we got 2 photographers & they were with us for our getting ready shots until after the cake was cut.  I think they left about 1/2 hour before the reception was over.  We get 3 books - one large one & 2 identical smaller parent books & it also included a cd of all the photos (so we can print out any picture we want anywhere we want to).  They shot over 1600 pictures and they are all great shots - it is going to be hard to get it down to only 100 pics (which is what goes into our book).  Artist European Photography is who we used & Gerda is amazing to work with.

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-much-should-a-good-photog-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a298cb32-b81b-4383-9996-a3062a95f721Post:57d16797-5915-46ee-b982-da762e32cb23">Re: How much should a good photog cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]If you like their work, go with them.  I know a couple of friends who are very disappointed with their photos.  I on the other hand spent just over 5K - we got 2 photographers & they were with us for our getting ready shots until after the cake was cut.  I think they left about 1/2 hour before the reception was over.  We get 3 books - one large one & 2 identical smaller parent books & it also included a cd of all the photos (so we can print out any picture we want anywhere we want to).  They shot over 1600 pictures and they are all great shots - it is going to be hard to get it down to only 100 pics (which is what goes into our book).  Artist European Photography is who we used & Gerda is amazing to work with.
    Posted by Qzees[/QUOTE]

Yes, I also have heard from other friends that they wish they wouldn't have skimped on photos or had put more thought into who they hired.  I'm ok with splurging a little on the photos because they're really important to me, and since my FI and I are fortunate to have our parents very generously pay for the venue, rehearsal dinner, flowers and my dress, I don't think it's a huge deal to pay $5k when our portion of the entire wedding budget is small in comparison to everything else. 

Like I said, the only thing holding me back is that it doesn't include any prints, books, albums or whatever.  I think I'm going to try to negotiate a little to see if he can at least throw in a couple nice prints or a small book. I just wish my FI cared as much about pics as I do. It makes me feel guilty that I don't mind spending that much money on something he is indifferent to.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_how-much-should-a-good-photog-cost?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:a298cb32-b81b-4383-9996-a3062a95f721Post:d5e78c9f-3976-46d8-8f61-888653d4923f">Re: How much should a good photog cost?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: How much should a good photog cost? : Yes, I also have heard from other friends that they wish they wouldn't have skimped on photos or had put more thought into who they hired.  I'm ok with splurging a little on the photos because they're really important to me, and since my FI and I are fortunate to have our parents very generously pay for the venue, rehearsal dinner, flowers and my dress, I don't think it's a huge deal to pay $5k when our portion of the entire wedding budget is small in comparison to everything else.  Like I said, the only thing holding me back is that it doesn't include any prints, books, albums or whatever.  I think I'm going to try to negotiate a little to see if he can at least throw in a couple nice prints or a small book. I just wish my FI cared as much about pics as I do. It makes me feel guilty that I don't mind spending that much money on something he is indifferent to.
    Posted by avolker1[/QUOTE]

he'll appreciate it once you have the photos in your hands.

Honestly - spend the money.  If someone's work really speaks to you then spend the money if they are worth it.  Sometimes if they are super high quality, then they typically won't negotiate with you...as they are worth that price.

My two cents - pay for the album...it is so much nicer of a keepsake then a photobook.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards