New Jersey
Options

Bummer dress situation

I went dress shopping for the first time today and found a dress I was completely in love with. It combines all the best aspects of the dress photos I've been collecting since we got engaged. I didn't want to take it off. And, even better, it was in my $3000 price range, which although you can find some great dresses in this range, they are not as plentiful as they are in say the $10,000 range. It was the absolute perfect dress for me.

The only reason I didn't buy it was I have another dress shopping appointment with my mom in 2 weeks and I didn't want to deprive her of the experience.

So, after my appointment, I started being more interested in the dresses my friends wore to their weddings this year (we went to 4 of them). As I was looking back through photos of the most recent wedding, I noticed her dress looked pretty similar. Then I zoomed in and realized it was the exact. same. dress.

I'm so glad I didn't buy it, but well, bummer. :-(

Re: Bummer dress situation

• Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it.  Your relatives and guests will not be exactly the same as her relatives and guests. If it is the dress of your dreams and all aspects of it (style, price, fit) are suited to you, who cares if she wore the same dress?

And hey, if you are really close and the same size, maybe you can borrow hers? 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• Options
    I would go shopping with your mom, but if you don't find anything on that trip then I say go for the dress you originally fell in love with on your first trip.  take your mom with you so she can see you in it.  you can add a belt or sash to make it different then your friends dress.  also, i'm sure it looks different on you and with a different hairstyle, veil, makeup, jewelry, shoes it will look very different then hers.  so don't worry!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hey, Luckygirl! I think that's why I didn't even realize it was the same gown: it looked completely different on her. She had a different sash thing and she is a different body type. Unfortunately, I don't think I could get past the fact that this was already "her" gown. I would worry (perhaps irrationally) that other people would think I purposely went out and got the same gown (or that people would compare us "who wore it better" style--again maybe irrationally). There will be some overlap at our wedding even in the bridal party.

SewInLove, that would be a great solution but she is more petite than I am. :-(
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards