New Jersey

new to the board - hi everyone!

Hi, everyone :) I just got engaged a little under a week ago and have been floating around The Knot/the board for a couple of days before introducing myself.

FI and I are in graduate school until May and planning to work a year before getting married, so we're looking at being engaged until Aug 2013. I'm wondering, though - does anyone have advice on when to start looking//planning? It's funny, I've worked in a catering venue for 7 years so I feel like I should know this stuff but it's so different from the bride's perspective, lol. I'm excited to start looking but I'm not sure how far in advance things start to really book up, other than venues (which I know we should really be looking at by 18 months out-1 year outish)?
Wedding Countdown Ticker
140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

Re: new to the board - hi everyone!

• edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats!!

At the very least, I'd start looking for a venue now if you can.  First, you won't feel pressured if you don't find the venue you want right away.  Also, it'll give you a chance to lock in the venue's 2011 price since many prices go up each year and you'll be more likely to get your first or second choice for a date.  I booked my venue 19 months out and our first choice for a date was already booked by someone else.

ETA: Once you book your venue you can probably relax for a bit until the one-year mark or so.  However, if there's another vendor like a photographer or videographer who you're dead set on, definitely book them sooner rather than later as the most popular ones seem to be booking up earlier and earlier.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • LissyM83LissyM83 member
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    hi, congrats and welcome!!

First, take a little time to enjoy being engaged... trust me, the planning will be there. The best place to start is to set a budget and then get an idea of a guest list and how many people you plan on inviting. Then start looking for a Church (if you're getting married in one) and Reception Halls. After that, start looking at photographers/videographers, bands/djs, etc.
    September 2012 Siggy Challenge: Favorite Thing about October-Yankees Playoffs! image
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_new-board-hi-everyone?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ae8e8b1f-a360-401f-ab75-1966aba3de64Post:c8349889-657f-411f-a252-b659b0386bc9">Re: new to the board - hi everyone!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Welcome and congrats!! At the very least, I'd start looking for a venue now if you can.  First, you won't feel pressured if you don't find the venue you want right away.  Also, it'll give you a chance to lock in the venue's 2011 price since many prices go up each year and you'll be more likely to get your first or second choice for a date.  I booked my venue 19 months out and our first choice for a date was already booked by someone else. ETA: Once you book your venue you can probably relax for a bit until the one-year mark or so.  However, if there's another vendor like a photographer or videographer who you're dead set on, definitely book them sooner rather than later as the most popular ones seem to be booking up earlier and earlier.
    Posted by peaches178[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>totally agree with peaches!  welcome!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I agree w/ Peaches & welcome =)

We started looking at venues right away!  We booked about 18 months in advance (and it took about 2 months to visit various places and decide)!
  • cindyn9178cindyn9178 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome to the board!

First things first, I'd suggest setting a budget, and coming up with a tentative guest list. That will give you an idea of what places you can afford, and what size venue you need. Then begin looking for a venue/ceremony location.

We have a site with tons of reviews of vendors that should be very helpful in your planning. http://nnjknottievendors.weebly.com/index.html

Good luck and enjoy!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and happy planning!
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome. I think its a great idea to start planning now becouse you can enjoy the process of going to all the receoption sites without feeling presured or over whelmed. Tried to enjoy the process while you can. :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with everyone here. Do enjoy being engaged, but start planning the location of your ceremony and venue, as well as come up with a guest list and budget so you know what you are willing to spend. At least the, you can put your mind at ease for a few months!!!!! :)
  • edited December 2011
    Oh and congrats on your engagement!!! It really is such an exciting time, don't let anyone take that happiness away from you!
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome I had a 2 year engagement as well.  We got engaged last august and we booked our venue September 2010 for our July 2012 wedding so we booked almost 2 years in advance which was great b/c they had the exact day open that we wanted.  We also booked very popular vendors who book up fast so we booked the photographer and DJ 1 year and 7 months out. 

Def before you do anything set a budget.  Figure out how much you can afford and also figure out a tentative guest list.  We had to guarantee 175 for our venue so it is good just to have an idea of how many people you want to invite.

I would also suggest not asking your bridal party until about 11-10 months before the wedding.  A lot of things can change in 2 years with friendships.

Happy Planning!
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Congrats and welcome! 
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations! Enjoy being engaged as other have said...times flies! Look at bridal magazines, participate in this board, and go to bridal shows and I think you will get a great foundation. 

As peaches and others have mentioned, you should look at some venues. Even if you have no idea what kind of venue you want this is the time to go see a few and narrow down your choices. Once the venue is booked you will also have a good idea of that you are spending b/c the reception eats up most of the budget. 

Happy Planning! 

---The Nest makes me wanna---
    imageimage
    ---Started TTC 12/1/11---
    Cycle 1 - 13 BFN
    Cycle 14 Surgery complete! BFP on 2/27/13!
    BabyFruit Ticker
    TTC buddies with sparklingdiamond and amandaf6383
  • edited December 2011
    Welcome and congratulations :)  Good luck with all of your planning!  Enjoy it! 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TaraK22TaraK22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    congrats and welcome! i agree with PP's. take a few weeks to just enjoy being engaged, gazing at your ring, and saying the word "FI".....then set a budget, and look for a venue & ceremony site if applicable. i actually found the venue search to be the most draining/difficult/time consuming out of all the wedding related things i did, and i was really glad to done it, and i took a few weeks off from wedding stuff and was able to go back to it recharged and excited.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TaraK22TaraK22 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    oh, and one last thing i agree with.....don't pick your WP until a year out. i know so many people (from the Knot stories and in my personal life) who picked people immediately, and later regretted it (either w/ regretting asking a particular person or regretting not asking someone, and then not being able to ask later b/c everyone knew the WP had been selected months ago)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • xxstardustxxstardust member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all the advice, everyone! We have made a (tentative) guest list, and as soon as we finish moving out of our college apartment this weekend I'm going to talk to FI about starting to do some looking online for venues. :)

You guys are definitely right about the WP, as well - I've been on the other end of that, been asked to be in a wedding party and then later on the bride decided not to have anyone but her sister ... so I'm keeping my mouth shut tight for quite a while still!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards