New Jersey
Options

Invitation wording?

My parents are divorced and neither are remarried and my mom kept my dad's last name.  Are there any ways to word the invitation aside from together with out parents.  I would like to include FI's parents on the invite too.  The kicker is my mom is paying for 60% of the wedding herself with no help from my dad.  She hasn't mentioned it but I know she doesn't want it to appear as he is paying too by putting his name in the hosts line.  Thanks

Re: Invitation wording?

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    The "hosts" aren't always the people who are paying for the bulk of the wedding. So even if you list the parents on the invite, that is not an indication of who is footing the bill. And it's none of your guests' business, anyway.  

Anyway, you could do:

Bride Anne Smith
    daughter of M(r)s. Jane Smith and Mr. John Smith
    and
    Groom Peter Jones
    son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew and Sara Jones
    request the honor of your presence
    blah blah blah

Separating your parents' names like that will indicate that they are no longer married, even though they share a last name.

Or maybe

M(r)s. Jane Smith
    Together with Mr. John Smith
    request the pleasure of your company
    at the marriage of their daughter
    Bride Anne
    to
    Groom Peter Jones
    son of Mr. and Mrs. Andrew and Sara Jones
    date
    time
    place
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    From Crane.com

My parents are divorced and my father is paying for the wedding. How is that indicated?

Wedding invitations are worded the way they are to reflect the tradition of the bride's family graciously giving away the bride while inviting family and friends to join them for this happy occasion. As with the ceremony itself, the bride and groom are the center of the attention. (That's why their names are spread out in the center of the invitation.) Therefore, there’s no place to indicate who is paying the bills. To do so would be to draw attention away from the bride and groom. If, after this explanation, you still feel a need to let people know your father is picking up the tab, you may do so on the reception cards. The reception cards serve as invitations to the reception. By listing your father as host of the reception, you’ll indicate that he is paying for it. This way, you have properly worded wedding invitations and receptions cards that convey to your guests the fact that your father is funding the wedding. Instead of reading "Reception / immediately following the ceremony," your reception cards should read "Mr. Andrew Jay Forrester / requests the pleasure of your company / at the marriage reception," followed by the date, time and place.

So you could do the traditional, Mr X and Mrs Y request the honour of your presence and then do son of Mr and Mrs. Z to include everyone and then indicate on the reception card your mom's additional contribution.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    A lot of people assume that the names on the invites are the ones  paying, but what I've come to realize is that this isn't going to affect someones decision to come to your wedding or what kind of gift to give or buy. That being said, my mom is buying my dress and FI's dad is paying for a mini-moon for us in Maine (we just recently found this out). However, from the beginning my mom and his dad have been on our invites. It's a matter of respect and in a way who is giving you away on that day. Your families are joining and MB is right, it's no ones business who pays but yours. 
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for your suggestions!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards