New Jersey
Options

I know I've been here before

...but again with my dresses.  I woke up this morning and the first thing I thought about was my dresses and I cried (I am by no means a crier) And not in a good way.  I guess I am not really looking for advice so much as I need to vent.  I can't talk to my mom because I know it will just upset her to see me upset and my FI hasn't seen them and won't til that day so he can only say "I'm sure you will look beautiful." They are pretty and they look good but I have just found other dresses I know would have been better.  Oh and it isn't like I am looking for other dresses.  Some girls on here posted their dresses when they got them, and I found two that I like better then mine.  But maybe they wouldn't look good on me.  Okay now I am just rambling.  Sorry for posting about this so many times.  I just have this love-hate relationship with my dresses!

Re: I know I've been here before

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I agree, think of it as, "They might not look good on me." I fell in love with a few dresses online that looked like crap once I tried them on. You picked yours for a reason, because it looks great on you.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wish I could give you some advice, but I think at this point it's just a matter of forcing yourself to believe that the other dresses just wouldn't look as good on you and you bought yours for a reason.

When I went dress shopping last month, EVERY dress I tried on was between a size 8 and a size 12 (I'm a size 2-4... big butt, but petite everywhere else).  The salesladies couldn't just use the clips to keep the dress on me... they literally  used clips on top of clips and still had to hold the dress closed around me.  I found a dress (in a size 12) that I loved and put down a deposit on it, but now when I look at pictures of myself in it I'm like UGHHH, WHAT WAS I THINKING??  My issue is that when I look at the pictures all I see is tons of material and dress parts in the wrong places on me (the boob cups look like giant pancakes covering my entire upper torso! haha), so I've been having a hard time remembering how nice the dress looked in person when there were three women behind me holding the dress tight to my body. 

I know my situation is a bit different than yours, but I'm having dress remorse too, just because of the pictures of myself and how unflattering the dress looks.  However, I think that in both our cases, we just have to remember that we purchased our dresses for a reason and, to be honest, I feel like a bride could pretty much wear a plastic bag on her wedding day... as long as it's ivory or white (though I know some people would disagree with me) and she's marrying the man she loves, she's going to look gorgeous and radiant and no one will be judging her no matter what.  So just remember that you're going to look beautiful regardless and what's most important is that you're marrying the man of your dreams and he's going to think you look absolutely AMAZING regardless of what you have on. 

Do you have pictures of yourself in your dresses that you'd like to post so we can at least give you advice/suggestions/opinions about them (of which I'm sure NONE will be negative)?
    image 182 Invited
    image 0 Are ready to party!
    image 0 Will be missing the fun
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    mbcdefg- Thanks, your right, I just need to keep telling myself that.

peaches-Thank you so much.  Reading your post really made me smile.  And I know what you mean about looking at all the extra fabric. Also keep in mind they they make wedding dresses larger in the bust. I am a size 4 but had to get a size 6 and the boobs were crazy, but I did go for my second fitting for one of the dresses and the boobs look normal...haha So don't worry, after your alterations it will look very different.  Look at me, giving you advice when I am a mess.....hahaha  

And you are both right I bought the dresses for a reason I just need to get over it and move on.  I think I will feel a lot better when all the alterations are done and I can bring my dress home and actually do my hair and make-up and get an idea of what I will really look like in it.  

Thanks girls....I never thought I would join TK when I got engaged and now I don't know what I would do without it and you all!
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    There were TONS of dresses I loved in pictures that looked horrendous on me!
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I kinda know what you mean.  I am happy with my dress but do sometimes wonder if I should've shopped around more  - but then I realize it's normal to feel that way.

I had envisioned myself in a trumpet gown and my bridal consultant said I was too short for some of the trumpet photos I had brought in plus it would be very expensive to alter trumpet to my height. When I tried on one, she was right... I would bet every girl goes in with photos or thoughts of what their dress will be but ends up with something completely different.

I'd imagine when you post after your wedding day, you will tell us your dress was the right one and you never felt so good.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks Lola- and I have the same height issue.  My reception dress was a petite size and they still had to take about 4" off...it aint easy being short....haha

When I get my dress back from alterations and all is said and done, I will post pictures. Thanks :)
  • Options
    DMLJDMLJ member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think it is hard when you can't physically try your dress on and see what it looks like more often.... when I was waiting for it to come in, I didn't have any pics of me in the dress, so I googled it and found pics of a girl who wore my dress in purple with cowboy boots and I got so nauseous thinking I picked an ugly dress--- when i got my actual dress, I loved it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_ive-here-before?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:c2ac7e0c-3478-48a9-bc9f-8fcab333b612Post:63cf02ff-4c4c-41a9-a532-a35160e6fa83">Re: I know I've been here before</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think it is hard when you can't physically try your dress on and see what it looks like more often.... when I was waiting for it to come in, I didn't have any pics of me in the dress, so I googled it and found pics of a girl who wore my dress in purple with cowboy boots and I got so nauseous thinking I picked an ugly dress--- when i got my actual dress, I loved it!
    Posted by DMLJ[/QUOTE]

<div>haha that is a very funny story.  Thanks for the laugh, I am glad that you loved your dress in the end.</div>
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This is so hard because there are a million beautiful dresses out there. I think it crosses all of our minds" Did I make the right choice? Would this one have been better?" But I agree with everyone above - you picked yours because it was perfect FOR you.  The other dresses may be amazing -but maybe not on you!! And you HAVE to believe that - and maybe it's corny but believe in some kind of "Dress Fate"  ....I'm sure on your big day you would also look stunning in just about anything...so, believe you picked the right one and trust your initial instincts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards