New Jersey
Options

Poll: Figure

What I wrote below about my figure made me feel guilty.  Guilty in the sense that I actually felt bad writing I like my figure since so many times we are bombarded with how we should not be proud of that. so.....

Re: Poll: Figure

• Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Depends on her tone of voice and her context. I thnk it's awesome for women to be proud of themselves, but there's a difference between being confident and just trying to show off (especially if they're putting others down in the process).

So I voted Special Snowflake.

(PS - someone on another board used "special snowflake" in serious context last week ... bwahahaha! "We're all special snowflakes and nobody should be made fun of, ever.")
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Too many women are unhappy with themselves or at least feel like they should complain about how they look.

For someone to say they're happy with themselves, I think it takes a lot of confidence and self-appreciation. I think it's great you think that way! Go you!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I didn't think twice about what you wrote - I think it's awesome you're proud of your figure.

Especially with my wedding coming closer, I've been working on mine harder. I love my body and I love compliments even more :) At work a friend commented earlier that I look like I lost weight and normally I'd just say oh I don't know - but today I was like yes 5 lbs and counting!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    MB I agree - when it is said as a put down that's horrible.  I'm just wondering about everyday life...like when you talk to a friend do you find it obnoxious if she says I like my figure instead of oh I wish my hips weren't so big.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Not at all! You go girl! I think all to often you hear your friends, co-workers, family members wanting to "fix" or change something. I think it's awesome if you love and appreciate your figure.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    edited December 2011
    I think its great regardless of her tone or context. I am hoping I can be that woman before my wedding.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    good for you, we live in a society where it is very hard for women especially with weight.  We see photoshoped images all over our everyday lives of this anorexic models that dont represent real women.  And to make it worse a woman who is normal weight or in good shape, cant even feel good about it or not be seen as a biotch for being happy about it.  It is sad

That is why I dont like the princess stuff, I want my nieces to have realistic images and positive influences.  Not this advertising and media nonsense that is pushed into their heads......
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Lola that is awesome you said that.  It's funny how horribly guilty I felt for writing that.  The curiousity also is because I know a couple of people who find it obnoxious (not friends with them) if you say you like your figure and a few others who think it's just something you are never supposed to say.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-figure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c4c74066-1fad-475d-a552-13b6b725f664Post:66a035e1-89e5-4b0b-86d5-76521104d31c">Re: Poll: Figure</a>:
    [QUOTE]MB I agree - when it is said as a put down that's horrible.  I'm just wondering about everyday life...like when you talk to a friend do you find it obnoxious if she says I like my figure instead of oh I wish my hips weren't so big.
    Posted by caketime[/QUOTE]

Oh, in that case I agree that it's a "more power to her!" type of thing. A friend of mine recently lost a lot of weight and I *love* when she speaks confidently about her body :)

I missed the original post so I may have taken this question out of context.
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_poll-figure?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c4c74066-1fad-475d-a552-13b6b725f664Post:b65f6ecb-39a7-4f3a-8ac1-e0924069bbf0">Re: Poll: Figure</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lola that is awesome you said that.  It's funny how horribly guilty I felt for writing that.  The curiousity also is because I know a couple of people who find it obnoxious (not friends with them) if you say you like your figure and a few others who think it's just something you are never supposed to say.
    Posted by caketime[/QUOTE]

I was actually just thinking to myself maybe I was too cheery in my statement. Naturally I'd love my arms to be more toned in the next 3 months and drop another 5 lbs atleast but I'm feeling a lot better than where I was even weeks ago.

You shouldn't feel guilty - You came off confident not cocky at all.
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think its great to hear someone say that they are happy with themselves and how they look.  A lot of us are too hard on ourselves.  Plus, when we are 80 yrs old, we will look back at pictures and think how young and nice we looked and why were we so critical when we were younger? 
    I do know a person who is very pretty, however she has this strange way of making everyone else  feel like some sort of troll when around her.  She will say backhanded compliments like "Oh , it looks like you lost some weight" or saying in a surprised voice "you look good tonight".  I'm like, man, why do I feel so bad about myself when I am around her?
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is probably overthinking it, but I think there's a difference with saying that you're happy with how you look and you're proud of how you look.  Happy is just that, but proud makes me think that there should have been some sort of work going into it -- working out, healthy diet, etc.  Much like I don't think that people should be proud that they're very very smart, but think they should be proud that they got into Harvard Medical School (because even with natural academic aptitude, they had to work very hard to get in).

(And also, as with all things that could be potentially bragging, I think someone can cross the line to being annoying pretty easily.)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards