New Jersey
Options

MGs Ceremony and Reception same location

FI and I are planning to have our Ceremony and Reception at the same location.  I know people say their wedding day goes by in a flash, but I'm fearful it will be even faster since all events will be happening back-to-back-to-back.

If you had your Ceremony and Reception at the same location did you feel rushed? Or like you missed your cocktail hour because of pictures after the ceremony?

I'm really losing sleep over this and I need opinions desperately.   I do not want to see my FI before I walk down the dial, so pics earlier in the day will not work. 

We are getting married in January so outdoor pictures may not be possible. 

Thoughts?

Re: MGs Ceremony and Reception same location

• Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you are not willing to see him before the ceremony, you will miss most of your cocktail hour.  You could always pay to extend the cocktail hour by half an hour, but in my opinion an hour and a half of cocktails gets pretty boring.

I am taking pictures before the ceremony, that way we have plenty of time to take pictures and not feel rushed.  The photographer will still make a special "moment" when we first see each other.
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was totally against seeing FI before the ceremony, but I changed my mind after I spoke to my photographer.  Like PP, we're going to be set up with a "moment".  Something along the lines of having him outside somewhere and me coming up behind him and the photographer taking pictures of us seeing each other. The more I think about it, the more I like having that intimate moment to spend together before the craziness begins.  I'm sure not everyone will like this idea, but if you want to attend your cocktail hour, you might want to consider it.  We're also going to do group BP pics right after our pics so that we only have family to do after the ceremony.  If I get 20 minutes at the CH I'll be happy.  
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, you will miss all of your cocktail hour and feel a bit more rushed if you do not do pics beforehand.  DH was deadset against doing pics beforehand, then morning of decided he couldn't wait so we did do them beforehand.  It was a great moment and very private. 

As PP said you could extend cocktail hour by 30 minutes but you will most likely still be missing it.  If you do decide to do pics then ask your venue to make up platters of food for you so you can nibble on a little something.
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I will be having both at the same location. As of now we will not be seeing eachother before the ceremony.  What we will do instead is get all of the "other pics" out of the way first before the ceremony. So i will take all my pics with my BM and take pics with the GM, he will do vice cersa.  So after the ceremony we will take a few together, one with both families, us together with our families, and the whole Bidal Party together.  I am guessing this will take about 25 minutes. Still enough time to get to some portion of the CH.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Danes - I'm not trying to be snarky but it will take longer than 25 minutes.  I thought the same as you but even with us seeing each other beforehand the pics after the ceremony still took 30-45 minutes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I was a BM in a wedding where the ceremony and reception were at the same place, and the bride and groom even extended the cocktail hour a half an hour to be able to get to it, and they still missed it.  As a BM, I only made it to the last half an hour.  We even did BM with bride and GM with groom photos before hand, and they still spent over an hour and a half taking photos.  Make sure you are very clear with your photographer before hand of your timing intentions, so they can plan accordingly. 
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I understand what your saying caketime.  It could take 45. Im ok with that.  As long as it doesnt take more an 1 hr I am good with that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Danes - I'd suggest telling all of your family/bp to go straight in to a separate room as soon as the ceremony is done and that food will be there.  Definitely have the venue make up a tray of food for everyone - telling them how many people you will need it for. 

The less people you have to grab, the better and faster it will be.  And if they know food is there they won't be as inclined to head to the CH for a "quick bite"
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had everything at the same place also and saw MH before the ceremony.  It was great we were so relaxed before the ceremony because we saw each other and got the initial jitters out before.  I also loved the way our photographer set up our "first see" moment.  We talked and joked around with everyone before the wedding.   We were also able to enjoy every moment of our cocktail hour and mingle with our guests and eat. 

If you are so dead set against seeing each other you can pretty much kiss your cocktail hour goodbye.  It will not happen no matter who your photographer is.  I was just in a wedding that the bride was dead set against seeing the groom before that they missed the whole cocktail hour.  They even did the BP and family pictures before hand. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Cheryl just got married in November and she had her ceremony and reception in the same place.  They decided to do pictures before (called "first glance") and didn't have to rush through the pictures because of it -- i think they took almost 2 hours doing all of their pics, but I could be wrong.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I'm also doing ceremony and reception at the same place and do not want to see him before hand. My photographer keeps trying to change my mind but I don't think that I would be happy with the "set up intimate moment" to me nothing means more than to have the jitters and see him and have him see me for the first time while my father is walking me down the aisle. SO  at first I had extended the CH to an hour and a half but than realized that would cut into my reception time and between introductions, first dances, dinner, cake and fireworks there would be barely any time for my guests to have fun so now I'm back to 1 hour CH and we will also take pics at some point during the reception.

Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    kle0113kle0113 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Not to be snarky, I honestly think we get way to worked up about the whole OMG I am going to see him before the wedding and it is going to ruin the day.  When in the end it will make you that much more relaxed.  I have seen so many people that have done it the way everyone is stating...we will do pictures with the BP and the parents before hand and that way we do not have that many more to take.  You still have more family and all of you and your FI, plus more BP pictures to take which will take a while.  I don't know if your going to want to leave your reception when you are having a good time to stop and take more pictures.  I mean think about it. 

You are still going to get those jitters when you see him for the first time at the end of the asile.  I know that I did and we saw each other before hand. 
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You will NOT want to leave your reception for more pictures. I can almost guarantee that.  At that point you'll have been dancing. You makeup won't be as perfect, your hair won't be as perfect, and you'll just not be as "fresh" as earlier in the day/night. Plus, you'll be having so much fun dancing and being with your guests that you'll totally forget about wanting more pictures and then won't have those pictures you ultimately wanted.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You are not going to want to leave your reception.  We actually did for some shots of me lying on the piano during dessert.  However, it was only 10 minutes, we really wanted them, and still my makeup wasn't the best and we were itching to get back to dancing. 

You will still have the same jitters and anticipation of walking down the aisle if you see ech other beforehand.  In fact, it was amazing to get them twice.  Once in our private moment of seeing each other for the first time and the other walking down the aisle.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ditto caketime...I still had the jitters walking down the aisle after seeing him prior to the ceremony.  My lips were shaking so much I couldn't even smile. haha. It was still exciting. 

It was REALLY nice to not have to do pictures after the ceremony and just hang out with the bridal party for a little bit and relax.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would really like to have time to relax and enjoy the cocktail hour but I just really don't want to ruin that feeling.....I don't know....and when I said I would leave to take pics during reception, it will only be for a couple of them because it won't get dark until later and we also have to be outiside for the fireworks and take some pictures at that time.

I will have a makeup girl there, she'll be there the entire wedding so she will freshen me up :)

However, after hearing you guys say it didn't ruin the moment I'm going to think about this again..Maybe I can have my dad bring me to him before the ceremony so it still has a similar feel to what I'm imagining. Thanks ladies!
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We are having our ceremony and reception at the same place and decided to take pictures before the ceremony.  Our photographer, Kenny Pang, explained that he would set up a really romantic and personal first viewing between us.  Also, he wants us to budget between 2 and 3 hours to get all of our photos in before the ceremony (portraits, family portraits, wedding party portraits, etc.) 

I really wanted to be traditional and see one another for the first time as I walked down the aisle, but it made more sense to be practical and to get the pictures we really wanted.  Plus, we wanted to enjoy our party as much as possible!  We have 300 guests to say hello to!
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm so glad to hear that it worked so well for the MGs who did pictures before the ceremony It makes me feel even better about our decision to do it!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_mgs-ceremony-reception-same-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c765e2c6-1fa7-439b-a050-fe3a6c833fddPost:c7d1609a-5aee-4ae1-863e-316126e69c27">Re: MGs Ceremony and Reception same location</a>:
    [QUOTE]Cheryl just got married in November and she had her ceremony and reception in the same place.  They decided to do pictures before (called "first glance") and didn't have to rush through the pictures because of it -- i think they took almost 2 hours doing all of their pics, but I could be wrong.
    Posted by mscutieri[/QUOTE]

This was mine...

about 1 hour for getting ready/bridal party pics, about a half hour for first glance full bridal party (guys as well) pics, about 1 hour of our pics (I lost track and we were walking all over but it was at least an hour to get all the shots he wanted and we wanted and he had thme to actually think about what was going to happen and be taken), about a half hour of family pics, about 10 minutes of license signing pics with our MOH and BM which I loved being in those pictures with MH.

So that was about a total of 3 hours about 1 1/2 ours of us having to be together, now, it could be shorter I'm sure, I loved that my photographer was able to scope out things and look for the best picture rather than rush rush rush.

Lastly, after the ceremony, MH and I practically ran out of the room let everyone go to ch so we could have 5 minutes alone with each other before we were bombarded with everything and everyone staring at us and doing stuff for others.

Some people are against it and I understand that, but remember, if you have little time, you will be rushed.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you all for the advice.  I am 98% sure now that we WILL be seeing eachother before the ceremony. It's really the only practical thing to do!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_mgs-ceremony-reception-same-location?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:c765e2c6-1fa7-439b-a050-fe3a6c833fddPost:bdf53d71-8d36-4a8b-924b-108553353b72">Re: MGs Ceremony and Reception same location</a>:
    [QUOTE]Thank you all for the advice.  I am 98% sure now that we WILL be seeing eachother before the ceremony. It's really the only practical thing to do!
    Posted by misschristinec[/QUOTE]

You'll still have the feeling trust me, if you see the pictures of me walking down the aisle and MH at the end of it you can tell we still have the nervous feeling :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I just have to say that this thread was extremely helpful and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I called my photographer last night and told him we will see each other before the ceremony. I can now relax knowing that I will get to enjoy the reception and even be at the CH!

Thank you all for changing my mind of this one, I feel like I would have regretted not taking pictures before especially since the wedding is not until 6, this way I can enjoy more of the day with my FI.
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Kathy.  I called my photographer and informed him we are meeting ahead of time! Thanks for all the advice.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards