New Jersey
Options

honeymoon may have to get cancelled..

my fiance just told me that our HM may have to get cancelled. we are doing about 3 weeks in italy and have it booked.  even seeing family that i have there.
his job may have a training at that time and supposively if he misses it, he loses the opportunity to get hired (he has been a temp with this company for a year and a half).  we would have to go next year if we can even do that:(
i am so upset.

Re: honeymoon may have to get cancelled..

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Can you just move it up back a few weeks so that he can go to the training?
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Danes983Danes983 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would be upset too, but relax, maybe you will get lucky and it wont be that week.
    Also, maybe he can in advance speak to the hiring manager and explain the situation. If he has been there 3 years he is probably in good standing.  I dont know if they would be so cruel to make  you cancel your honeymoon. Well I hope they wouldnt be.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would have him talk to them and explain the situation. You would hope that they would be understanding. What would cancellation fees be? You might want to look into that to see how much cancelling the trip would cost you.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011

be thankful that he is going to get hired and have a great, steady job as you start your new life together....

maybe not go for 3 weeks and try and be back before the training....or reschedule....

• Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i know that it could open doors for us which is better in the long run, but it was hard to hear.  his job right now has been very difficult on us. he is working nights to top it off.
    i work in a school so i cant go before. we planned on going when school got out.
    they dont knwo he is getting married at work.. he hasnt said anything bc he is a temp.  i think he has to let them know
  • Options
    goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Cher...as hard as it may be, be thankful that he has a job.    Maybe you can go for a shorter amount of time or push it back to the summer or a time when he can get off.  Maybe he can talk to them and see if he can go next month or at a later time when the training is over. 

I hope it all works out for you!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you should be more happy that he might be hired than about cancelling your HM.
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    i do agree with you brad, but it was just hard to hear. we havent been away together since we met so weere lookign forward to it. maybe he wont train then..i hope
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In this economy with the lack of jobs, I would just go to the training and not say a word, people are lined up Im sure for that position.  Italy will always be there, sorry it cant be when you want!
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

i know. it was just very hard to hear on top of all the wedding stress and job situation.
    thanks everyone

• Options
    tvlirenetvlirene member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp about the opportunity of getting a job but I am sad for you.  I'm sure that part is very disappointing :(  Instead of canceling, see if they can move the dates and they may be able to waive any penalties.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I understand that while of course you feel that in the long run, the possibility of him being hired will be better for your family on the whole, it is still very difficult news to hear!

Perhaps he can speak to them at work about this to see if anything can be done while still stressng that he realizes that the training and the possibility of him getting hired is a priority for him.

I hope things work out for you!
    Photobucket
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm sorry. That's a bummer.

Is there anyway to go for a shorter time or even go someplace else if necessary? 3 weeks is a long time, and I can understand why you'd be upset, but there must be some form of compromise.

I hope it all gets figured out!
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Sorry, that stinks :( I don't blame you for benig disappointed, but like PPs said, take heart that it's for a "good reason" that will be much more worth it in the long run.

I agree with Tuffys, could you do a mini-moon someplace right after the wedding? FI and I are actually doing that because of HIS job - we're going to upstate NY for a nice long weekend, and then we're going to Ireland and Italy during the summertime. If you do a mini-moon someplace rather local, it would be easy to set things up even a week or two before your wedding when you have a better idea of what his schedule is.

Even if it wasn't for his job, we agreed before we even set a date that it might be nice to do something simple and fairly inexpensive right after the wedding and then save a bigger trip for later. That way, we'd have something else to look forward to after the wedding (instead of doing the wedding and a big honeymoon in the same 7-10 days and then having a big letdown when it was all over), and we wouldn't have to plan and pay for both a wedding and a European trip at the same time.

Or you can just take the time off work, lock yourselves in the house and shut off the phones ;)
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

The job wins on this one.  It's no contest.  You have to do what you have to do to keep him working. Who cares about a honeymoon if you come back and have no job?  Plus, if he is worried that he is missing something while he is gone he won't fully enjoy the honeymoon anyway. 

Think big picture on this one.  I know it sucks but you have family in Italy, you can go anytime. Plus keep in mind, if you want to have a baby this is better for your long term plan.

• Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I would be upset too :( Of course the steady job trumps it, but it doesn't mean you're not going to be very disappointed.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We had a similar situation.  We got married in October, and will finally be taking our honeymoon this August.  I had just started a new job in September and was not about to ask for 2 weeks off.  MH is is school, so he couldnt miss all of his classes.  In the grad scheme of things, it really doesn't matter.  I totally understand your disappointment, but you will have plenty of opportunity to go away with your FI!! 

We went on a mini moon to Cape May and AC for 3 days.   I reccomend doing something like that.  It was lots of fun and we were able to undwind after the wedding.   
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    he made permament yesterday! so we can go on our honeymoon:)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's awesome news!!! Congrats!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
  • Options
    imagrl10imagrl10 member