New Jersey
Options

Lips (NYC drag club)

Has anyone been here? My sister/MOH and a friend said that they think they'd like to do this for a bachelorette for me. I remember some people here saying a while back that it was fun.

Re: Lips (NYC drag club)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been.. but one of the girls I work with went there for her sisters bachelorette and said it was a lot of fun... very typical bachelorette party/birthday type atmosphere
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went there for a friend's birthday last year and wasn't a fan. To be fair, I'm probably not a good one to judge since my best friend in college was gay and I've seen a lot of "real" drag shows.  The show was, to me, nothing special at all. I can tell you that as the bachelorette, the drag queens will do their best to embarrass you, possibly involving some borderline raunchy stuff (like, for someone's birthday they stuck a cake with a lit candle in it by their crotch and made the bday person blow out the candle).   That being said, a lot of people there seemed to really be enjoying it.

And warning - the food was awful and overpriced. I'm not a fussy eater at all and could barely eat it. The drinks were pretty good though!
    My Blog Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 4/10, Dx: MFI IVF planned for April/May
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've heard the food is bad, drinks watered down and the show OK but most people seem to have fun anyway. I've also heard what pp said about being embarassed if you're the guest of honor...based on your posts/personality on the board, I would guess that part isn't really something you'd enjoy? But I have no personal experience, that's just what I've heard from others.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been there and it was just okay.  It was quite a few years ago but I remember the food being unpleasant and the servers giving birthday girls or bachelorettes lap dances, etc.  A lot of people seemed uncomfortable with the environment, including me.
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Years ago -- it was unusual I guess, but as others pointed out the food was bad and expensive, drinks watered down, extremely touristy ... just not my scene overall.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011

Thanks for the feedback!

I think they mentioned going somewhere else for dinner beforehand, so I'll mention to my sister that they might not want to buy food and drinks at this place (I'd hate for them to spend a lot of money on crappy eats).

She also knows that I'm shy and boring, lol (you got it right, Melissa :P), so hopefully they won't point me out as the bride. Luckily Sis doesn't like the sashes, crowns and penis straws either, so that's a plus!

• Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://northjersey.weddings.com/Sites/weddings/Pages/main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_lips-nyc-drag-club?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:cd89fce0-8d64-4413-a66b-422d7b3c81fdPost:b1044c6a-4d28-4920-975a-62bec2dc0cba">Re: Lips (NYC drag club)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think they mentioned going somewhere else for dinner beforehand, so I'll mention to my sister that they might not want to buy food and drinks at this place (I'd hate for them to spend a lot of money on crappy eats).  
    Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

<div>I think there's some kind of cover and some kind of food/drinks minimum involved, FYI.  You may want to see if there's any info about that on the website.</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Okay, I looked it up... here's some info from the website: http://www.lipsnyc.com/lips_shows.html

It looks like if you go on a weekend, you'll have to make a reservation for a certain seating, will be charged $7 cover and have a $15 food minimum, and you'll have to do a $45 prix fixe dinner if you have 10 or more people.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've been 3 times, I guess I disagree with others, I loved it! I hated Lucky Chengs, too raunchy for me there.  I found the food good, especially the lobster ravioli, and yes there is a 2 drink minimum.  I laughed the whole time and was really amused when he came around the room comparing everyone's rocks...
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Thanks UpperEast and Reilly :)

The 2-drink minimum, does that have to be alcoholic? I assume not, right, because most comedy clubs I've been to count sodas to the drink minimum. One of my BMs is Straight Edge (doesn't drink at all) so I don't want her to feel uncomfortable.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Most of the stuff on the website says "$15 food minimum., $7 cover applies"  That may be food and drink minimum, but at any rate I can't imagine that it would even be legal to mandate the purchase of alcohol.  One of you may want to call and figure out the specifics -- like whether it is a minimum of food, or of food and/or alcohol.  Because on Friday nights they have three seatings of 2 hours each, they may not be happy if you are just there for drinks and not for dinner (although again, if there are 10 or more of you, you're going to have to get the prix fixe dinner).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards