New Jersey

Engagement Pics: What to wear?

We have our engagement session scheduled for Sunday and I am at a complete loss as to what to wear…. it’s starting to make me really nervous that I don’t have anything picked out yet.  

I originally though dark jeans with a pretty top, but my family says that a dress is more appropriate.  Really I just want something that will look slimming and springy in pics.  The only advise my photographer has given was to steer clear of bright colors or crazy prints – but that’s all the dresses that I’m seeing right now!!   So, I really need  some help.....
What did you wear for your pics?  Any tips/suggestions/advice?

Re: Engagement Pics: What to wear?

• I wore a pink dress with a cardigan and I was pretty comfortable. I think you should compromise and have some pics in your jeans and some in a more dressy outfit. You will feel more comfortable perhaps... You know? Perhaps a neutral black dress with a colorful sweater? A white sundress? Classic knee length spring skirt with flowy top?
  • Try dif outfits. I had a second outfit in the car but I didnt end up using it cause it was cold out so we took some pictures with jackets on and some with out, which looked pretty cook. We took ours outside though. I didnt wear a dress, I wore a sweater dress, leggings and heeled boots. Try to wear something normal for you. You dont want to look too far out of character. FI and I are always pretty casual so we wanted to dress nice but casual. Also, I wouldnt be to matchy matchy. Match ur personality and have fun with it. I have a horrible self image so I always end up trying to cover everythin up. Got a STD in the mail with engagement pics where the the bride to be was wearing neon pink leggings and a floral blue/pink skirt, with a blue blazer. Totally crazy, but totally her, it looked great for them. Their STDs were very nice. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I am having similar anxiety with my upcoming photo shoot. I think I will wear a sweater/skirt but I like the idea of a second outfit to change into as well!
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • Photographers recommend soild coordinating colors for both of you.

DH wore a black suit jacket over a white mock turtleneck & I wore a black cardigan with some beading

It doesn't mattter so much what you wear as long as both of you look good together

• I wore chose 2 outfits - a dress and jeans with a cute top.  Honestly, I hated all the dress pictures and loved the jeans ones.  I think you should wear whatever you feel prettier in, and whatever is more comfortable in.  Everyone is different.  
  • The first thing you have to do is decide what kind of images you want.  I'm sure the posing and the over all look will be much more casual and informal if you wear jeans instead of a dress.  I'm sure people are telling you to go with a dress because they have something more traditional and formal in mind.

But what do YOU want?
  • Like PP said, you need to wear something that is reflective of you. Do you normally wear dresses or jeans? Perhaps you can do both. I wear a dress/skirt at least 5 days a week, so it was natural that I choose 2 dresses for our e-pics. Both were solid colors, but the one in my siggy pic is bright and has texture. I like bold jewelry, so I wanted mine to make a statement. 

Also, think about where your pics will be. Is it going to be outdoors in the heat? Will you be on lots of grass or concrete? That could shape what clothing and shoes you choose. We went to the NJ Botanical Gardens and it just stopped raining when we got there. I wasn't prepared for that, so my little kitten heels kept getting stuck in the mud. At least they weren't 6" pumps!
  • It also depends on where your photoshoot location will be.
    I've seen e-photos where the couple is in a field or a park, and the bride looks really great in a spring/summer dress with a cardigan.
    Photos with an urban background would look better with jeans and boots, in my opinion.

It depends on your body type, but I think jeans are more slimming.  But dresses can create/hide curves too!

Also, wear what you feel comfortable in.  You want people to still recognize you, but then again, this is your chance to play out your inner-supermodel and have a photographer take amazing pics of you and your future hubby! 

Don't stress too much--I think anything you wear would look great.  I haven't seen oh-no-she-didn't engagement photos yet =)
  • We are actually going to have our pics taken at a garden this Sunday.... right now the forecast calls for 60 and scattered showers.... I'm still hoping for no rain!!

I like the idea of the two outfits.... I think I'll go for a jeans or black pants and a dress.... def more comfortable in pants (especially if it's going to be cool out), but this way I'll get pics of both options to choose from. 

Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_engagement-pics-what-to-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:d44254b2-feb6-4e20-82ca-9a1658d0a680Post:b6a21d19-24c9-4a0b-bf12-fb91b7b8378f">Re: Engagement Pics: What to wear?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are actually going to have our pics taken at a garden this Sunday.... right now the forecast calls for 60 and scattered showers.... I'm still hoping for no rain!! I like the idea of the two outfits.... I think I'll go for a jeans or black pants and a dress.... def more comfortable in pants (especially if it's going to be cool out), but this way I'll get pics of both options to choose from.  Thanks for the feedback everyone!!!  
    Posted by sharstin[/QUOTE]
    Bring a cute umbrella just in case! There are some nice clear dome ones that make for great pics, or a fun patterned one also. 
  • We decided to wear what we were wearing when he proposed (we had gone out to dinner for our anniversary).  Luckily, we happened to be wearing coordinating colors that day.  The only thing that was different were the pants.  We both decided to wear jeans instead of slacks because we were in the woods.   
  • I LIKE the umbrella idea! Laughing
  • Pick two outfits. We wore nice dark jeans since we are more casual plus the photo shoot was at my barn with my horse included in the shoot. We both just changed our shirts and shoes for a different look. We have a second shoot that I have to book fiance wanted pics at the beach with his antique car I will probably include a sun dress in my change of outfits ...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards