New Jersey

Reception Venues in Northern NJ/ New York State

Hi everyone! I'm new on here, just got engaged a few months ago and starting the wedding venue search. I was originally dead set on a tented reception, but I'm trying to be open to more traditional settings. I'm not into the whole marble and chandelier thing though. I'm looking for a venue that is really laid back, with outdoor space and really good food at an affordable price. Possibly on a lake or river? If anyone has any suggestions I would love your feedback! Thanks!
Lauren

Re: Reception Venues in Northern NJ/ New York State

• NJhousewife22NJhousewife22 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! maybe try the new vendor database that was recently put together:

It may be a good place to start!
  • hopeful523hopeful523 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congrats! How much per person are you looking to spend and around what time of the year? The price changes depending upon the season. With more details i'll be happy to help!
  • edited December 2011
    You can try The Garrison in the Husdon Valley.  That's where I got married and I loved it. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I went to a wedding at Falkirk Estate and County Club this past fall and it was really nice. Not sure of the pricing, though.

A girl on this board a while back had her reception at Chateau Hathorn in Warwick and liked it a lot.
  • edited December 2011
    Check out the Wainwright House in Rye, NY.  It is a chateau with a tent in the back yard and it is located directly on the water.

• edited December 2011
    I would suggest ballyowen golf club in hamburg (near Vernon) or Indian trail club near Mahwah. Both fit your price range and Indian trail club is on a lake. Ballyowen is a bit more rustic though
  • edited December 2011
    Also not sure of the price but the inn at lambertville station looks awesome. Not super north though
  • edited December 2011

In my experience, the Garrison wasn't up for negotiation, and we paid $200 a person (incl. tax and tip).  You may want to try their sister property, the Highlands Country Club, or the Round Hill House (also in the Hudson Valley).  In NJ, how about the Lake Valhalla Club in Montville?

BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Don't go go the Lake Valhalla Club. I loved their look but they couldn't guarantee that members wouldn't be swimming or on the beach literally 20 feet away DURING our ceremony and the best they could say was "they know to be quiet." also I would try crystal springs instead of ballyowen. It's the same company and same area and MUCH nicer. Always ask for off season and day or fri and sun dates and prices will be lower. I knew the owners of chateau Hathorn in Warwick and it is absolutely beautiful!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image170 Made the cut!
    image 134 Are ready to celebrate!
    image 36 Are missing out!
    image 0 Are making us wait!
  • edited December 2011
    It depends what style you are looking for. Ballyowen is more rustic than crystal springs which some like. Also crystal springs is much more expensive than ballyowen. Look at the weddingbee nj board for recent discussion
  • hopeful523hopeful523 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I was in a wedding at Lake Vahalla last November and their guests weren't there so an April wedding may work for you. The food was delicious! Black Bear (a country club affiliated with crystal springs) is being renovated and I thought the place was pretty before.  Also check out the Grandview in Poughkeepsie NY, the ceremony can be held overlooking the Hudson river and is in your price range.

• edited December 2011
    Please check out the place where I got engaged - you will love it!  www.mohonk.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards