New Jersey
Options

Church double booked!

Hello,
I am new here - I have set my date of 4/29/11 and booked my Church, Reception hall, & DJ so far.  Today I received a call stating that there was a conflict in the schedule for the church and there is another couple to be married at 3pm.  We are being told that we would need to have our Ceremony at 5pm ( this is a Friday wedding)

My question is - do you think this will give us enough time to take pictures in between the ceremony and reception?  Reception hall is about 30 minutes from Church and we would be starting at 7 or  we can push it until 730 if we need to.  My issue is that I dont want to rush the pictures and miss my entire cocktail hour.

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Re: Church double booked!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I think 5pm is MUCH better than 3pm.  Think of the fact that more people will be able to make the ceremony now.

you're going to miss most of you cocktail hour no matter whether you push it back a half hour or not....have you considered doing pictures before hand?  You'll have sooo much more time for pictures and will be more relaxed!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We dont want to take the pictures before hand, we want to wait until the Ceremony to see each other .  I know I am probably just panicing for no reason.  First issue I ran into, and  I know there are going to be many more!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    5:00PM ceremony is much better on a Friday than a 3:00PM.  You can move your CH to 7:30 but assume that you will probably miss a lot of it UNLESS you do a lot of it at the venue.  This way you are there, do not have to worry if the sun starts setting in the middle of pictures, and when you are done can hop right in.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with Chelsea that 5pm on a Friday is much better than 3pm. As a guest, I would appreciate it.
    imageAnniversary Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the reassurance girls!  Good thing the park is right across the street from the venue.  I think we should be just fine! :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    With the park across the street, that'll be convenient.

Give yourself enough time before the ceremony to do your pictures with your bridesmaids, parents if possible, etc. That way you can do bridal party shots and you and you husband and then get to the reception/cocktail hour.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Thanks Chelsea, Is that picture  of you and your husband in Verona Park?  That will be the park I am taking my pictures in - Came out great!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    That is us in Verona Park...it's beautiful there. You'll get great shots!  Will it be light out still in April around 6pm?  Take that into consideration!
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes - we looked it up and it looks like the sun sets about 7pm at that time of year.  I am sure we will get some great shots by that bridge! Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    As Chelsea said try to get as many pics beforehand out of the way.  You'll still want pics with the bp and gm when you are married but you can yours with each others out of the way that will help give you more time.   Probably a good thing to have 2 photogs, at least for the beginning, so the pics of FI with GM and his family can get done quickly while you are doing yours.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is your ceremony a Mass? Are you doing a receiving line? Even if you're not, it's going to be tight IMO. If you start right on time at 5 pm and it's just a ceremony with no receiving line, you still won't get to the photo location until at least 6 pm, if not later. I would push the reception to 7:30 and do all the photos you can (you with your family and BMs, him with his family and GM) beforehand.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yes, It is going to be a Mass with recieving line.  My reception hall is very flexible and allowing me to make the Cocktail/reception what ever time i prefer.  I just dont want to make it too late for my guests.  730 isnt too late to start is it?  Someone even mentioned pushing it until 8pm, but i think that is too late to start.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_church-double-booked?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:d4a49dd0-95cc-4471-83f1-aa258dfdbb0dPost:c7994caf-4ab0-4317-8483-ca190d20e2ef">Re: Church double booked!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, It is going to be a Mass with recieving line.  My reception hall is very flexible and allowing me to make the Cocktail/reception what ever time i prefer.  I just dont want to make it too late for my guests.  730 isnt too late to start is it?  Someone even mentioned pushing it until 8pm, but i think that is too late to start.
    Posted by Jrozek[/QUOTE]

yikes...with a full mass and receiving line you're not going to be done till 6 or 6:30, depending on how many guests you have.  Give yourself a half hour to get to the park and get everyone situation for pictures, it's now 7pm.  And I'm sure you're going to need at least an hour for pictures....You probably won't be making it to your CH, so just prepare yourself mentally that you may not make it.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011

I know, I am so unsure of what to do.  I may try to find another church that can hold our Ceremony.  I do not want to push off my Reception until 8pm.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I really wouldn't make your ceremony any earlier. People won't be able to come. Some people probably won't be able to come as it is, as most people don't get out of work till 5pm.

I know you really want to get to your CH, but a lot of brides miss it. I would just suck it up and realize you won't get to it and keep it as is. You'll get to see everyone at the reception. And the Maitre'd will make sure you get some of the cocktail hour food in the bridal suite.
    ~Chelsea~
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Lola MinnieLola Minnie member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    April, if you are set on having a mass, you will be cutting your time very close.  Your pictures will likely run through most if not, all of your cocktail hour.

Perhaps see if they can accomodate you at 430 or I'd consider switching to ceremony only.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I did try to ask for 430; however the other mass is going to take place at 3pm.  The Preist said that would cut close and did offer 445, but do you think that is tacky to have a start time of 445?  I mean 15 minutes does give us a bit more time.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards