New Jersey

When to....

book a honeymoon?

Even though we're getting married in May, we can't take our honeymoon till August since I teach and have summer school also.  We're planning on going to Aruba for 10 days, either the RIU or Occidental and we're just trying to figure out when the best time is.  I'd hate to book too early and have prices drop later on or vice versa.  TIA!
Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage

Re: When to....

• edited December 2011
    I don't know if they have sales at certain times.. it seems like Orbitz is always having some kind of sale though... so when I see a good one, I usually just try and book my trip then rather than missing out on it. I would suggest just keep checking and when you see a good deal, go for it!
    P.S. - my best friend stayed at the Riu Palace in Aruba for her honeymoon and loved it.
    September 2011 Brides Siggy Challenge: Reception Venue imageWedding Countdown Ticker
  • goaliegirlgoaliegirl member
    First Comment Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    I booked pretty far out, just under a year, but I did it through a travel agent.  The price of the trip went down twice, but she just rebooked us at the lower rate so it wasn't a big deal.  We booked the airfare as soon as we saw a great rate at about 7 months out.  We went to Jamaica in August if it makes a difference.

Although, we just went to Dominican Republic last year for our anniversary and we booked our August trip in the beginning of July and we were able to get a great deal.

I would just keep an eye out for a good deal and book it.
  • edited December 2011
    We booked our about a year out. We are using a travel agent as well so if prices drop, they will honor those prices.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you use a travel agent they can reduce the price for you.  If not, you are usually stuck with the price you paid.
  • katetwkatetw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We're going to St. Kitts in June, and booked in October... the price will probably go up and down before then, but we were way too nervous about prices (especially airfare) going waaaaay up and then not coming back down before our trip - we didn't feel like gambling.
  • felicia220felicia220 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think we booked ours in December for our June HM, so what is that 7 months before? yes.   I didn't book with a travel agent because we have had so many bad experiences with them, i don't think we would ever use a travel agent, but that's just us.  I did search high and low to make sure I was getting a good deal though.  But once we booked it, I never looked again.  I just put it in my head that we go the best deal possible, somehow that made me feel better.......hahaha.    
  • edited December 2011
    I actually just booked my HM the other week and my wedding is in May. We are going to Europe and we got a lot for our money. My FI and I did use a travel agent and she will rebook the HM again if prices are lowered. I would just keep your eyes open for deals and if you feel like you found a good one book it. 
  • edited December 2011
    I'm going on my honeymoon in August and FI wanted to go to Aruba - unfortunately it was not in our budget (last time I checked prices were around $6k for 10 days). We have decided to go to PuntaCana (we found want looks like a very nice adults only place, for under $3k total for 10 days). We haven't booked it yet but probably will within the next 2 or 3 months. It's hard to decide when to book, especially with the Carribean, because sometimes you can get great last minute deals. But I guess if you use a travel agent that can be beneficial if they will price adjust.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011

We are going to book our honeymoon for next July this September so a little less than a year out.  We are also going to use a travel agent.  We are doing Aruba as well I think we are going to stay at the RIU too :)

Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We booked our honeymoon 5 months in advance. You can go on kayak.com for their predictions on flight prices. We didn't bother with that though since our flight and resort happened to be within budget so we just booked it.

We are going to The Royal Cancun and we booked it through cheapcaribbean.com. (we booked 2 previous vacations through them and were very pleased).
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_when-to?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:df7460ed-4a7d-4fd8-83ff-599473baa81cPost:f6a428e5-57f9-4d48-95f2-a24b84c2c085">Re: When to....</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm going on my honeymoon in August and FI wanted to go to Aruba - unfortunately it was not in our budget (last time I checked prices were around $6k for 10 days). We have decided to go to PuntaCana (we found want looks like a very nice adults only place, for under $3k total for 10 days). We haven't booked it yet but probably will within the next 2 or 3 months. It's hard to decide when to book, especially with the Carribean, because sometimes you can get great last minute deals. But I guess if you use a travel agent that can be beneficial if they will price adjust.
    Posted by cutiepie12702[/QUOTE]

<div>We were in the exact same position as you!  We wanted Aruba but didn't think we could afford it so we were set on the Excellence in Punt.a Cana.  After going to AAA I realized that the price wasn't too different, about $1900 for PC and $2600 for the RIU.  After doing some searching around I found the RIU for $2400 including taxes and fees on cheapcaribbean.com.</div><div>
    </div><div>Thanks girls for all your advice.  I didn't realize that if I booked with a travel agent they could adjust the price, I'll definitely give them a call to see if AAA does that.  I also wasn't sure if I could bring in a price from the internet and they could match it.  Thanks again!!</div>
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards