New Jersey
Options

Dress Advice for Low-Key Bride - Recommendations of a Dressmaker?

Hi everyone,

I've had a lot of trouble finding  a dress that matches my style and preferences and am hoping that some of you may have advice.  Although more ornate and princess-like dresses look great on others, they are not for me. I am interested in something that is more simple and less "poofy".  Ideally, I would also like a dress with cap sleeves/short sleeves but this is not an absolute requirement. 

The closest I've come to right "the dress" are some Jenny Yoo Bridal Alternative dresses (Sloane, Tara and Kayla models) but I am not completely convinced. Can anyone recommend other designers that make simpler designs that would be appropriate for a late summer daytime ceremony/reception?

Also, I'd be interested in suggestions of dressmakers - I'm considering this option also - however, I'm not sure about the timeline and price points for this. Any information to share?

I'm not enjoying this dress shopping experience - it shouldn't be hard since my height and size and easy to fit and try on samples - I would really appreciate any advice you may have! Thank you in advance!

Aimee

Re: Dress Advice for Low-Key Bride - Recommendations of a Dressmaker?

• Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at J. Crew?

Thread also has some bridal alternatives: http://bridal.threaddesign.com/collections/pages/c73.php
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and Adrienne's Bridal on the Lower East Side in the city may fit what you're looking for -- I think the owner has a line of dresses that can be customized.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Ditto Jcrew.com. Also try Nordstrom.com.

How about a bridesmaid's dress in white?
  • Options
    asostowkiasostowki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you both for your ideas! I have considered J. Crew, Nordstrom's and Thread, but will check them out again.  On the right track! I am not familiar with Adrienne's Bridal, but something here definitely be an option.

I will also look into bridesmaid dresses more - this led me to the alternatives, but I could be overlooking some possibilities.

Thanks again!

• Options
    JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Try looking at some of the Allure bridals. I was in the same boat as you where I didnt want anything crazy. My dress is Allure exclusive style 2210, it was very affordable.
  • Options
    JennM31JennM31 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.allurebridals.com/index.php?id=6&start=0

here they have a bunch with very little details. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where are you located? I could possibly recommend a dressmaker. 
  • Options
    smw42smw42 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    and remember you can always add cap sleeves to almost any gown!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I too, was looking for something a little different.  I ended up getting a dress from cymbeline NYC.  THey are located at 17th and 5th in the city.  There dresses are very unique and I really found several there that I absolutely loved. 
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Im with you, I dont want any big skirt or poof, Ive very tall and I would look ridiculous!  If I were 5 foot, I would do the princess thing.  Someone recommended this designer to me, Im heading there on Saturday...Im trying Kleinfelds and Pronovias Friday...

http://www.anjolique.com/

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another option is www.mademoisellebridal.com their dresses are all simple.
  • Options
    asostowkiasostowki member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Thank you everyone for all of this great advice! I will check out the designers that you've recommended.

In terms of a dressmaker, I am from Somerset County (wedding location), but live in Hoboken.

Thanks!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    i was looking for the same thing, not too much detail and no poofy princess dress 
    I am getting my dress from Ally's bridal in Hoboken, she has her own dress line (she is adding things to my dress from her line) and carrys other designers 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards