New Jersey
Options

Inexpensive reception

Im newly engaged and in the process of researching reception halls. I am finding that alot of them in the central NJ area are alot more expensive than my FI and I were planning on.

Does anyone have any recomendations on places in the central NJ area that are about $60 per person?

Heather And Stephen

10-2-10

Re: Inexpensive reception

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I've seen Bridgewater Manor run specials that are around $70pp during the off season on a friday night. But I haven't seen anything that low.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Affordable places I found during my search

The Forge Inn, Woodbridge
    Pantagis Renaissance, Scotch Plains
    L'affaire, Mountainside
    The Reception Center at St. Clement - Matawan (my venue, I was very happy)
    Courtyard on Main - Freehold (also reccomend)

You will prob need to consider a Fri Night, Saturday day or a Sunday wedding to get the best prices.  Off season too will help.
    imageimage
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions! We already plan on visiting Bridgewater Manor and Pantagis Renaissance and I will definitely check into those other locations.

Heather And Stephen

10-2-10

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm having my reception at Gran Centurions in Clark, NJ.  It is $65 pp, and it includes: cocktail hour, buffet dinner, wedding cake, champagne toast, linens, chair covers, floral centerpieces, service fees, etc.  Call John for more info, he's really nice.

They are actually having a bridal show there on the evening of the 27th if you are interested in seeing the venue all set up and tasting some of the food (and I'll be there too :) ).
    Photobucket Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image182 invited
    image4 got lost on their way to the mailbox
    image127 will witness the anticipated bear union
    image51 will miss out a beary good time
    [RSVP Date 6/01] [125 min]
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    We were quoted $65pp for a Friday night in March, for The Tides Estate in North Haledon (we booked there, but for a Saturday night in April).
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd also add Bretton Woods Mansion in Morris Plains.  They were less expensive.
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Oh, and Berkeley Plaza.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I do NOT recommend Pantagis Renaissance in Scotch Plains. I grew up in Scotch Plains and have been to 1 wedding there, as well as countless banquets for different events in high school and unfortunately one year on Christmas (which my parents hosted every year), our kitchen was being renovated so my parents thought Pantagis would be a good option and it was HORRIBLE. Yes, it's cheap but this is definitely one of those places where "you get what you pay for." The thing that bothered me the most when we were there for Christmas was that they had a dessert table w/ about 20 different pies. You choose which one you wanted a slice of and they take the cake server out of a bucket of water to cut it (same server is used on all pies). I was disgusted. Is this common practice????

I DO recommend L'Affaire though. Not sure of the prices but FI's company holiday party is there every year and the cocktail hour is incredible!!!!!
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    How flexible are you on your date? If you are willing to plan quickly, you might get a really good deal if you book for a date within the next 6 months ... because if a hall can't book a wedding around maybe 8-10 months out, they usually consider the date a lost cause (because many engagements are usually around a year) and would rather give a discount than not host anything on that day at all.

I believe Bridgewater Manor and The Tides both list discount dates on their websites. Or call around to places you're interested in. And Bridgewater Manor runs some pretty good winter promotions, like Cindy said.

Also, any chance you could do a Thursday night wedding (possibly on a holiday weekend)? You could probably save a boatload of money that way, since weddings are usually on Saturdays, Fridays or Sundays.

A Saturday afternoon wedding would probably save you some money, too. The Tides quoted us lower prices if we'd do a Saturday afternoon reception rather than an evening reception.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My fiance and I are still in the early stages of our planning, but we plan on using this tactic when we are ready to book a place...remember that everything is negotiable!  Even if you find a place that is a little over your budget, check it out anyway and then try to cut things down.  Here are a few things we are thinking of negotiating:
    1. One of the places we really love offers a really extensive menu for cocktail hour...14 hors d' ouvres (all included!) plus chafing dishes and other stations.  We are going to ask if we cut down the number of passed hors d'ouvres to maybe 6 or 8 (which I think is plenty) if that would cut down the cost a little.

2.  Instead of doing a 5 hour open bar, we are thinking we can have a full open bar for cocktail hour of course, and then during the dinner hour just serve wine, since people will be sitting and eating and most likely not going back and forth to the bar a lot, and can just have a glass of wine or 2 with dinner.  Then open the bar back up for drinking and dancing the rest of the night, but save some $ with only 4 hours of full open bar.

3.  Ask the price difference between premium open bar and standard.  You will still have all liquors, they just won't be premium brands like grey goose vodka.  A friend of mine did this at her wedding last summer and I didn't even notice a difference!  She said she saved $8 per person that way!   She also decided to cut out the appetizer course, and only have a salad and entree because she wanted people to spend more time dancing and having fun, and not sitting at the tables so she wanted a quick dinner...and it saved her another $5 per person. 

Just some ideas!  Good luck.  In my opinion, if a venue isn't willing to negotiate with you then I wouldnt want to be doing business with them anyway!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards