New Jersey
Options

Ready to scream re: envelopes

I'm printing our address on the RSVP envelopes. They measure 5" long by 3.5" wide. Word does not have any envelope templates this small.

I played around with it a bit on scrap paper until I got it right, then fed a real envelope through. It wasn't centered. So I adjusted and ran it through a few more times until I got it right.

I just printed out a few more envelopes. I have changed NOTHING on the template, and yet the text is drifing further and further to the left with each envelope. I'm feeding each envelope through the exact same way, I'm not doing a single thing different. Not only are they off-center, but now some of them are printing on a slant.

WTF could be the problem? I have no idea why it's doing this. And since I want to mail these out this weekend, I need to figure out something else, fast ... I don't know whether to do clear labels (which I SWORE I'd never do), or just hand-address them all.

Re: Ready to scream re: envelopes

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you sure your dimensions are correct?
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, I think it just might not be feeding through the printer properly.
  • Options
    melissa82melissa82 member
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Are you putting the envelopes through on their own? Try lightly taping them to a piece of paper. (You will need to change the size back to letter size though and play with the placement again.)
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Also, are you moving the sizer thing over on your printer so it helps hold the envelope in place?
  • Options
    acablitasacablitas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I was about to say the same thing as pp.  Maybe move the sizer.

I had a similar issue.  I printed our rsvp and regular envelopes 10 envelopes at a time.  Ours came out slightly slanted, but in the end I didn't mind.  It wasn't really that noticeable.

Is it very noticeable?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Been there, done that and totally gave up and wrote them all out.  I did not want to do that, but the printer would not cooperate.  We were lucky to get the freaking thing to do the invites-I never heard Mike speak like that.  Hope things work out better for you MaryBeth!
  • Options
    katty99katty99 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    try going to microsoft.com, they may have a template to download.
  • Options
    mbcdefgmbcdefg member
    5 Love Its First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Melissa, I tried taping it to a regular piece of paper yesterday, because I remembered someone here suggesting that a while back, but no dice :( The font was super-small (couldn't make it much bigger without overflowing from the text box) and wouldn't center. I'll probably try that once more tonight, though, and play around with the settings some more when I have more patience. And I did move the sizer to hold it in place, so that's not it.

Annie, that's the weird thing ... the first few were fine, but with each envelope they moved more and more to the left. Then they started going slanted!

Katty, I looked for a Microsoft template, but it seems like they don't make templates that small (3.5 x 5"). I contacted Wedding Paper Divas and they said they don't offer a template, but they could print our address for 50 cents per envelope. I guess that's why they don't make a template, lol.

Lisa Beth, I don't get it, our regular invite envelopes were fine. I think that's what's ticking me off, because the first batch was perfect and I was confident that the reply envelopes would be nice as well. I think I'll try once more tonight and then give up and hand-address them.

Thanks girls, I appreciate the help!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about trying someone elses printer? Do you think that could be it?
  • Options
    5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_ready-scream-re-envelopes?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:e438ca7d-f736-4fb8-aa66-f1c9dfdc0746Post:26734734-4fc5-410e-a6e7-1f45678a11c5">Re: Ready to scream re: envelopes</a>:
    [QUOTE]The font was super-small (couldn't make it much bigger without overflowing from the text box) and wouldn't center. Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

I don't get what you're saying here. Why would the font be smaller? You mean because you changed the paper size? Why do you need a text box? Is there a design or something?

Also, are you feeding them in one by one? Auto feeding isn't going to work for something so small...because each time the printer "gets ready" for the next one and grabs it slightly, it will move the envelope a bit. And then each one will subsequently move more and more.

[QUOTE]Katty, I looked for a Microsoft template, but it seems like they don't make templates that small (3.5 x 5"). Posted by mbcdefg[/QUOTE]

All you need to do to make a "template" is change your paper size to the size you want. I was already assuming you did that, no? Then just adjust the margins so you have the printing area you need. BUT if some of them printed OK and then started moving, it leads me to think they're somehow moving in the printer.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards