New Jersey
Options

Carribean Honeymoon Help...

Hi girls!  Happy New Year :)  Havent posted in a while but was hoping to get a little help ...

FI and I would love to do our honeymoon the end of August in the carribean.  I know it is hurricane season but was wondering if anyone has gone to any of the islands considered in the hurricane belt during that time and what their experience was? 

We really were considering St. Lucia or the Caymen Islands.  I think Bermuda may be out of the belt ... any reviews?  Also I know the best place to avoid hurricanes in the hurricane (so they say) is Curacao.  Has anyone been? 

TIA for any help! 
Buying A Home

Re: Carribean Honeymoon Help...

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Bermuda in the middle of August and it was hot and sunny the entire week. I've been to Bermuda twice and it really is a beautiful country! It isn't considered the Caribbean as it's technically off the coast of South Carolina I believe so it's probably safe from hurricanes until Sept /Oct. Both times I was there on a cruise so I don't know about any of the accommodations on the island itself. Good luck!
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I haven't been to any of the islands. My parents have been to Bermuda and went once in August, However it is NOT out of the belt of hurricanes and it is very possible for it to be hit by a hurricane.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For some reason I want to say that St Lucia is far enough south that it's pretty much out of the hurricane belt. I could be wrong though.
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi, I am honeymooning in August also, we chose Aruba because its out of the hurricane belt and in August the cruise ships dont come in.  We did Bermuda in August in '09 and it was nice.  It was hot, but we had an awesome time.  Its a wealthy island, no poverty.  If you go, check out the honeymoon package at The Reefs, which we felt was the nicest hotel.  Food is very expensive there dining out, and they had packages, we also loved their restaurants, right on the beach.  Good luck!
  • Options
    sgdc2011sgdc2011 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We went to Bermuda this past summer on a cruise in August.  The next week it was hit by a Hurricane.  I suggest talking to a travel agent.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I've been to Grand Cayman in early to mid-August and had no problems with hurricanes... the most we saw was the typical daily tropical rainstorm that lasted no more than 30 minutes and was always replaced by gorgeous sunshine.  Grand Cayman is a definite favorite of mine!
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went to Amelia Island FL last year the week before Labor Day and when we arrived, the island had just been hit by a hurricane.  Luckily everything was functional by our second day (although a lot of rooms in the resort were out of service all week because of water damage), but at any rate, August is definitely not too early for hurricanes.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I go to the Caribbean the end of August frequently and have been hit by hurricanes/tropical storms several times. The end of August is I  believe one of the worst times for hurricanes.

I would recommend going somewhere out of the hurricane belt, I believe the only 2 islands are Aruba, Bonaire?, and Curacao (the ABC Islands).

I am going on my honeymoon the end of October beginning of November and am also nervous about this (this is toward the end of the season). I am going to Curacao for the first week and St. John for the second week to minimize the chances of hurricanes.
  • Options
    kewltifkewltif member
    First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    I went on a cruise to Bermuda in the beginning of July and they had just been hit by a hurricane and they had to delay our arrival by a day and then we couldn't go to the beach the next day.
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011

We went to Sandles St. Lucia years ago and according to the lcoals, they rarely ever get hurricanes.  I would HIGHLY recommend St. Lucia weather and people were awesome!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been to Bermuda about 15 times each time in August and we only encountered one hurricane. We actually had fun b/c the hotel accommodated every need we had. It is an expensive island but it is my favorite.

I have to the Bahamas, Aruba, Cayman, St. Thomas and out of those Aruba was my favorite and always had good weather in August, just very windy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We took our honeymoon in Barbados during hurricane season (September). It was absolutely beautiful every day- the people were fantastic, the island is not too built up and tourist-y. I believe it rained once or twice in the evening for about 15 minutes but it was actually very romantic to watch the storm come in over the ocean at dusk. We loved every minute and didn't want to leave.
  • Options
    edited December 2011

Carmencita, Barbados was our favorite beach on the cruise we went on! The sand was like powder and the water clearer than a bathtub! We went to the Boatyard...lots of fun!

~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my honeymoon was august 10-august 18 and we went to Couples Negril in Jamaica - didnt rain at all until the last day and was absolutely amazing! I def recommend it!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much for the responses ! They were definitely helpful.  We are going to speak to a travel agent tomorrow and hopefully make a final decision :)
    Buying A Home
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards