New Jersey

Is this an engagement party???

So we are having what is being referred to as a "meet and greet" hosted by my FI's parents at their home for approx 30 ppl so that both sides of the family can meet before the wedding "events" however we are having a hard time deciding what to do about decorations etc ..... we don't want those attending to feel like it is an engagement party and they should have brought a gift but at the same time we want to acknowledge the engagement and let the families and the bridal party get to know each other. I do have personalized glasses for the bridal party and the parents to give them at the party as an ice breaker (thought it would make things easier since the glasses have everyone's name and their role in the wedding since most are meeting for the first time) ............ that being said I was thinking of table cloths in the wedding colors to keep it simple, a few engagement balloons (like 2 or 3) and 2 cakes ~ a carrot cake bc that's what my fiance likes that will read "Congratulations Ricky and Shannon" and a larger cake with vanilla cake and chocolate mousse that has a cute saying about family on it ......... is that making it too engagement partyish??? I don't want anyone to feel uncomfortable about not bringing a gift bc we truly don't want any, we really want the families to meet each other and avoid awkwardness later on. Thoughts??????

Re: Is this an engagement party???

• edited December 2011
    That sounds kind of like an engagement party to me.  I think your ideas are fine.  Everyone will be there to meet before your wedding so the reason of the party is for your recent engagement.  I think the couple of balloons and the engagement cake is fine.  
    Visit The Nest! BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • kristen8040kristen8040 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Regardless of the name of the party, people will give gifts if they want to.  My side of the family and friends are used to egagement parties, while most of DH's family had never heard of them.  I wouldn't stress it too much, we did a cake that said congrats and did favors, but didn't make too much of a deal over it.  Just have fun and enjoy it! :)
    Photobucket BabyFruit Ticker imageimage
  • katetwkatetw member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, that basically sounds like an engagement party - it serves the purpose of an engagement party (which is basically for the two families and wedding party to meet before the festivities, as well as to celebrate the engagement). Some people will bring gifts, some won't, don't stress either way and thank the people who brought gifts later. Your decorations sound low-key and fine.
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree, I think that sounds fine. The theme of the event is family and your marriage, and the decorations seem to reflect that without being all about engagement. Do you want to add "no gifts please" if invitations haven't been sent yet?

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards