New Jersey
Options

Villanovisions brides, question for you

I love Rob's style and camerawork but I wanted to ask you something to make sure what I see isn't like monitor/technical thing on my end.  When I click on his demos, some of them look as though the natural light is overexposed (<-- don't know if that's the right word) but I can't see some of the details because the shot is taking place in a room that's flooded with sunlight and it's bright enough to make everything else superbright if that makes sense.    

Anybody else experience this?  Overall, were you happy with your final products?  Any help appreciated.  TIA.

Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you

• Options
    Hey Sultry,..... Im never over here. I never even realized you post in the Jersey Boards...

HIYAAA!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    sh228955sh228955 member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited July 2012
    There are definitely mixed reviews about Rob on here, but the bad reviews that I have read are from people who have not actually used him. My sister used him for her wedding and her video was amazing. He was completely unobtrusive on the day. You barely knew he was there, yet he managed to capture everything. We will also be using him for our wedding. The videos on his website are honestly not his best. If you go and meet with him and see his most recent work, I think you will get a much better idea of his style. In my opinin he is worth every penny! Good luck!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    we are also considering him too
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I agree that the videos on his site aren't nearly as good as the ones he shows you when you meet with him. I chose to go with GT Modern Creations instead because I was not fond of Rob's attitude, arrogance and the way he hikes the price up once you get to the office. There is no doubt that he does amazing work. I gotta give him that.
  • Options
    I'm sorry for the p&r you guys.  my memory's raggedy.

@ mery - already you've forgotten that I said I was crashing your wedding?  alls I know is I better have a seat and a plate.  trust.

@ shh -  thanks, a reason to make an appointment with him is exactly what I was looking for.

@ mrsr12 - have you guys seen him yet or still considering an appointment?

@ renata - ahhh! this is who you were referring to, I remember everything about your description, except who it applied to (yes, the most important part) lol.  I spoke to Gabe , they're sweet and (at the time) affordable, now not so much.  I mean, still sweet, just not so affordable, in any event, you were right girl, word got out, he's not not available for my date.    p.s. feel free to mention more about your impression's of Rob's attitude, but really really wanna hear about the bait and switch tactic - if you don't mind sharing, what'd he say once you got in there?

I mean I don't do this for a living but if your job is images, why wouldn't you post your best example of them.  that's annoying, if ya'll hadn't answered me, I would've passed him right over. 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-brides-question-for-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee701797-6602-47c2-8ba4-9441069e8c8cPost:2ba2d6a6-0a4c-4295-9401-06fbe4afc2ab">Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you</a>:
    [QUOTE] @ mery - already you've forgotten that I said I was crashing your wedding?  alls I know is I better have a seat and a plate.  trust. @
    Posted by sultryzulu[/QUOTE]

So long as u know how to cover your plate in ya envelope... lol and expect to see me crashing yours...LOL
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Hi, we used Rob for our video & are very happy with the end results.  Like someone else mentioned, he is unobtrusive.  At the reception I rarely saw him.  Both sets of parents have a copy of our video & both have commented on how nicely it was done - not your boring wedding video.
    Rob also ended up staying an extra hour - hour & a half to get more footage of the dance floor since my guests were a bit lame & didn't dance too much.
    Our video was done when we got back from our honeymoon, which was amazingly fast from what my friends tell me about their wedding videos.
    I highly recommend him...
  • Options
    mrsR12mrsR12 member
    First Comment
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-brides-question-for-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee701797-6602-47c2-8ba4-9441069e8c8cPost:2ba2d6a6-0a4c-4295-9401-06fbe4afc2ab">Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you</a>:
    [QUOTE] @ mrsr12 - have you guys seen him yet or still considering an appointment? 

<div>we have an appt with him later this week, though over the weekend, a few of my married girlfriends tried to talk me out of getting a videographer</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    @ mery - backatcha girl. 

@ qzees - thanks for posting, it was a little hard for me to tell from the demos on his site.

@ mrsr - initially I wasn't going to do it either (because I thought would *desophisticate* the day's vibe) but it's not like it's something I can change my mind about down the line.  that and I haven't read about anyone who's had and regretted it.   come back and say how it went? 
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-brides-question-for-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee701797-6602-47c2-8ba4-9441069e8c8cPost:2ba2d6a6-0a4c-4295-9401-06fbe4afc2ab">Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm sorry for the p&r you guys.  my memory's raggedy. @ mery - already you've forgotten that I said I was crashing your wedding?  alls I know is I better have a seat and a plate.  trust. @ shh -  thanks, a reason to make an appointment with him is exactly what I was looking for. @ mrsr12 - have you guys seen him yet or still considering an appointment? @ renata - ahhh! this is who you were referring to, I remember everything about your description, except who it applied to (yes, the most important part) lol.  I spoke to Gabe , they're sweet and (at the time) affordable, now not so much.  I mean, still sweet, just not so affordable, in any event, you were right girl, word got out, he's not not available for my date.    p.s. feel free to mention more about your impression's of Rob's attitude, but really really wanna hear about the bait and switch tactic - if you don't mind sharing, what'd he say once you got in there? I mean I don't do this for a living but if your job is images, why wouldn't you post your best example of them.  that's annoying, if ya'll hadn't answered me, I would've passed him right over. 
    Here is one of the posts where I commented, along with others (<a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-colonia?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:b82910c8-a061-4412-b911-5b3d682c09d0Post:7a382f22-9e4d-4d70-b6ab-5a089ed8a520" target="_blank">LINK</a>). Basically, the prices on his website are misleadingly low. What you get for that price isn't well defined until you go in. Then you realize that in order to get what you want, you will likely have to pay 2-3x that. If you have the money for it, then great. I didn't, plus I didn't like that tactic & his very cocky attitude. <div>
    </div><div>The fact that he was unobtrusive and stayed late didn't impress me when others mentioned it before. Any videographer worth their salt does that. Our videographers were practically invisible. I didn't even realize they were still there until they said bye after the music ended. </div>
  • Options
    I just read your clicky.  thanks for posting, that was not sexy, at all.  normally I like to make an assessment based on my personal experience but I couldn't imagine owning a reputation based business and telling a client you basically gotcha'ed them into seeing you.   the thing is I expect the prices to be higher for what he has listed.   actually now that we're talking about it, why isn't it some kind of fraudelent adverstising? he says everything that's in the $1500 package.    I made an appointment with Abella.  
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-brides-question-for-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee701797-6602-47c2-8ba4-9441069e8c8cPost:171060ef-82ce-48ec-9ccd-1e661de77786">Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just read your clicky.  thanks for posting, that was not sexy, at all.  normally I like to make an assessment based on my personal experience but I couldn't imagine owning a reputation based business and telling a client you basically gotcha'ed them into seeing you.   the thing is I expect the prices to be higher for what he has listed.   actually now that we're talking about it, <strong>why isn't it some kind of fraudelent adverstising?</strong> he says everything that's in the $1500 package.    I made an appointment with Abella.  
    I thought that too, but technically it's not. It's not because the exact contents of the package aren't listed online. So if you don't know exactly what you're getting for $X, then you can't say that it isn't what was promised, you know? He explained to me that it was the bare minimum package, 4h, standard definition. He told me that he doesn't really offer SD anymore because most good quality videographers only shoot in HD now anyway. But if he did that, then he couldn't list the super low SD price on the website. <div>
    </div><div>Look, I'm sure that someone reading this will think that I sound like a hater. I am not. I met with him & this was exactly what he told me. I'm not dramatizing or exagerrating anything. I haven't seen anyone on here who hired him and was unhappy with his work. I just personally couldn't go with someone who willingly admitted these business practices to me. </div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_villanovisions-brides-question-for-you?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ee701797-6602-47c2-8ba4-9441069e8c8cPost:230de771-8546-4da6-96f4-15ba7f37526a">Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Villanovisions brides, question for you : I thought that too, but technically it's not. It's not because the exact contents of the package aren't listed online. So if you don't know exactly what you're getting for $X, then you can't say that it isn't what was promised, you know? He explained to me that it was the bare minimum package, 4h, standard definition. He told me that he doesn't really offer SD anymore because most good quality videographers only shoot in HD now anyway. But if he did that, then he couldn't list the super low SD price on the website.  <strong>Look, I'm sure that someone reading this will think that I sound like a hater. </strong>I am not. I met with him & this was exactly what he told me. I'm not dramatizing or exagerrating anything. I haven't seen anyone on here who hired him and was unhappy with his work. I just personally couldn't go with someone who willingly admitted these business practices to me. 
    Posted by rlavach[/QUOTE]

LOLOL!  not if they've read the whole thing.

it's shittie, bottom line.
  • Options
    Wow this is surprising to me.  I had a very different experience with Rob @ Villanovisions than some of you.  I originally called him for a price - he gave me one way outside my budget - I told him no thanks.  He then proceeded to work with us and our budget and I found that his work was excellent.  He went above and beyond on our wedding day and we were completely satisfied with the end result.  (But I have to also add that my wedding was very close to his house and all in one location - and I also called about a month before my wedding - so this could have something to do with it).
    wedding countdown
  • Options
    I agree, I was shocked that the prices on his website were different then they were when we got there.  I was a bit disappointed about that.  But once he explained that so many couples are getting married at the same place the party is these days & that is what the prices on the website are based on.  He did flex a little because he really wanted to get some getting ready shots - so we came to an agreement that worked for all of us.
    I agree, I didn't like sitting down thinking one price & then get told about double the price after telling him our wedding details (church, park, hall).  But again, you usually get what you paid for.
    I am so glad we used him, he stayed waaaay later than he planned on staying until (or should I say, what we paid him until) just to get shots of more ppl dancing.  So to me he went above & beyond what we booked him for.  I love our video & am very proud to show it off to anyone - not just our family members.
    See for yourself - only you can decide.  I don't regret our choice one bit - he is worth the money!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards