New Jersey
Options

NWR: Has anyone used Priceline??

Thinking about taking a trip with FI and wondering if Priceline is worth using for their "name your price" section.  It makes me nervous that they ask for your credit card number BEFORE you know which hotel you're going to wind up in.  I know you get to choose the number of stars for the hotel, but I guess I'm paranoid that I'm going to wind up with a really awful hotel choice.

Any reviews... especially with booking hotels by naming your price?
image 182 Invited
image 0 Are ready to party!
image 0 Will be missing the fun
image 0 Can't find the mailbox...

RSVP Deadline: June 15, 2011
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: NWR: Has anyone used Priceline??

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know when I booked a hotel in Baltimore, I looked up the ones that were 4 stars and only one was on their regular book website- so when I put in my price I knew I would get that one. And I did. Worked like a charm. But other than that I would be nervous. I've used it for car rentals and it works great too. 
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nwr-anyone-used-priceline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:f5b3467d-4654-465a-84ef-71508c33c001Post:c2d9bfc7-096d-4e83-a32c-421cf7fa1291">Re: NWR: Has anyone used Priceline??</a>:
    [QUOTE]I know when I booked a hotel in Baltimore, I looked up the ones that were 4 stars and only one was on their regular book website- so when I put in my price I knew I would get that one. And I did. Worked like a charm. But other than that I would be nervous. I've used it for car rentals and it works great too. 
    Posted by akmackay[/QUOTE]

Um really odd but this...Baltimore Inner harbor, 4 stars, got about 30 bucks cheaper than it would have been, and I've checked the hotel since, and its gone up a lot since. 
  • Options
    carlaspeedcarlaspeed member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I used to price cars for Hotwire and priceline, we had a three tier system and your bid binds to the closest tier (low, mid and high). For hotels, your best bet is to look up the hotel price on Hotwire and bid lower on priceline, it will for sure be cheaper than orbitz (you can also use a coupon from retailmenot.com for orbitz), we got a nice hotel in montreal for cheap, also in DC for 1/3 of the price, just make sure you pick the appropriate star and the area, do some trip advisor research ahead of time, specially for the area. For Hotwire, you can look up the hotels on sidestep.com and search by address on Hotwire, the closest hotel would most likely be the hotel you saw on sidestep

the reason why you have to give your credit card number is because this is how the bus model works, you know the hotel is from a trustworthy vendor, but you won't know how it is until you pay! It's better for the vendor to rent a room rather than not renting it at all, good luck!

coupon code: ORBITZDEAL5

get a 5% discount on hotels

Did this coupon work for you?

Yes No
    Shared 1 month ago ♥ avg savings $14

from an insider- welcome10 has been disabled due to abuse!

Nameless posted this 1 day ago

This worked but you won't be able to use the price assurance guarantee feature on Orbitz when you use a coupon. Thanks!

Nameless posted this 11 days ago

WELCOME10 just saved me $11.00

Nameless posted this 23 days ago

I used ORBITZDEAL5 and save $34.80. The suggested WELCOM10 promo code did not work for me.

Nameless posted this 1 month ago

Used code WELCOME10 and saved 10%

Nameless posted this 1 month ago

{couponId:"1519270",siteId:"136629"}
    71% Success
    coupon code: 40PACKAGEORB

save $40 on 4+ night vacation package

Yes No
    Shared 2 months ago ♥ avg savings $40

Just booked air & hotel online, saved $40.00!!

Nameless posted this 5 days ago

booked flight and 5 nights for a vegas hotel. coupon took $40 off total price.

Nameless posted this 8 days ago

Did not work for my hotel

Nameless posted this 2 months ago

{couponId:"1058500",siteId:"136629"}
    59% Success
    coupon code: FABSAVE10

Get 10% Off on your hotel stay

Yes No
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_nwr-anyone-used-priceline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:90Discussion:f5b3467d-4654-465a-84ef-71508c33c001Post:e2620f0e-01d2-460f-a8b9-a87a9886ef08">Re: NWR: Has anyone used Priceline??</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: NWR: Has anyone used Priceline?? : Um really odd but this...Baltimore Inner harbor, 4 stars, got about 30 bucks cheaper than it would have been, and I've checked the hotel since, and its gone up a lot since. 
    Posted by cherylanddan0706[/QUOTE]

Now that's just creepy that we did it for the same hotel.
    *~allie~*

• Options
    edited December 2011
    LOL Alright guys, So glad I saw this post. I'm in the travel industry- these are the kinds of things I obsess about for a living.
    I have used priceline, and had great results. I was going to a DMB concert in Hartford and stayed down the street at a Crowne Plaza for $39. Thank you priceline! Cheaper then the concert!

In any case - 
    Here is a website that is going to help all of you alot!!

Go to the Baltimore section and it will pretty much tell you what to bid to get the hotel or area you want to stay in.

If you have question, let me know - I'd love to help.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    ecg - That site is awesome!  Thank you!!

Just out of curiosity (since you're in the travel industry) - Would you recommend using Priceline for vacations or just quick little trips??

Also, for anyone out there... Do the priceline hotels include all-inclusives???
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Peaches - I think typically you will not find all inclusives on priceline for the low rate search.  You will find them in the typical hotel search (there are two aspects to priceline - the name your rate and the mode that is kinda like expedia) 
    You can find some great all inclusive here:

Personally, I would you priceline.com for the quick weekend getaway.  Like it shows you on the better bidding website, if you know where you want to be and where your going - you can almost zoom in on a  hotel and get a GREAT deal.  

For a full vacation, I like to pick my hotel and be SURE I am staying there, even if it may cost a little extra. Also, not every hotel is on priceline. 

Just food for thought :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks so much!!  :-)
    image 182 Invited

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member