New Jersey
Options

OPI Gel Manicure- Thank you whoever recommended!

I got one today and so far I love it.   It was kind of tough finding a place that did them, so I'm hoping to find one closer to home.  
Photobucket

Re: OPI Gel Manicure- Thank you whoever recommended!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad you love it!
    Logan Alexander born May 9th 2011. He has stolen my heart forever. Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BFP #2 05/24/12 EDD 01/31/13 D&C 06/26/12 Missing you. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Diagnosed with Ashermans 11/06/12 Surgery 01/18/13, Cleared for TTC 03/01/13 image
    My Ovulation Chart
    || Ovulation Tracker
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can you tell me a little bit about it? I've heard it mentioned a few times lately and I'm so curious!
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, can you tell us about it?  The recent nail topics got me thinking about having the LCN nails done, as someone else had recommended.  THen, I recently went to my regular salon and saw a sign for the OPI gels. Glad you like them!!!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Great! where do you live?There are a number around - you just have to be careful what they use because some use generic products and they aren't as good. I just tried a new place by me and love it!
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_opi-gel-manicure-thank-whoever-recommended?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:f7baba11-7938-4f29-bbb1-aa367919896fPost:ee6f9c63-19d7-48b3-be44-0e44b615500c">Re: OPI Gel Manicure- Thank you whoever recommended!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yes, can you tell us about it?  The recent nail topics got me thinking about having the LCN nails done, as someone else had recommended.  THen, I recently went to my regular salon and saw a sign for the OPI gels. Glad you like them!!!
    Posted by leah2b[/QUOTE]

LCN nails are the same thing as the Gel nails used with the Opi Soak-off polish. It's just that it's now used with a UV lmap instead of plain gel where they put on layers of powder, etc..
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    jchristeljchristel member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    It's kind of like the LCN nails, but it just looks like regular polish, not pink and white like a french manicure and it comes in a bunch of colors. The manicurist paints a layer of gel on each nail and you put your hand in the UV light box.  Once that's dry she puts a coat of the color gel on, that dries under the light, then a 2nd coat of the color gel, that dries under the light, then a topcoat then the light again.  It's supposed to last 2-4 weeks depending on how fast your nails grow and it has to be soaked off.  The woman told me it takes about 10 minutes to soak it off, they file and smooth your nails and then you get the whole thing done over.  My nails are short, I'm hoping this helps them grow so that I can eventually do a french manicure with the same stuff for the wedding and honeymoon.  
    Day 1 is good so far. :)
    Photobucket
  • Options
    nml2000nml2000 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Can anyone recommend where they got this done? I would love to try it. Also, do they hand file? I have found that the drill sanders ruin my nails.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My lady didn't use that drill thing, that's why I'm thinking it's probably a little better for your nails.

I went to a place in Pine Brook right on 46.  If you go to the OPI site, they have a state listing of salons that carry their products, I just called a few to see if they do it.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have been doing it since October and love it. Lasts for 3 weeks for me. I have a place in New Providence and Florham Park that I use.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    3 weeks!  That would be great!  Oh, and if anyone wants to know, it was $30, if it lasts 3 weeks that will be well worth it!

Karma, is the soaking bad?
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Takes a while - soaking and filing, I tried once taking it myself and almost ruined my nails!!!! So I don't suggest doing it yourself
    I am going again next week to get it done. I wanted the OPI gel for my wedding but they talked me into LCN nails
    For me the 30 is worth it b/c after 5 days my 12 dollar manicure is chipped and ruined.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    that drill is horrible, soaking off is much better. some places say they use Opi and you'll see one or 2 jars, and then they bring out a tray or crappy brands - beware! ou'l be amazed at how fast your nails grow! Mine lst about 2.5 weeks,
    By 3 weeks they are embarrassing and I'm due back, lol.
    Anniversary Photobucket
  • Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Where in New Providence?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    on Springfield Ave right by the diner. There is a dry cleaner next to it, have no idea what the name of it is called.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    So I went on the OPI site to read about it this morning- is this the stuff called Axxium? It looks really cool!

JChristel- what color did you get? This is so exciting that the gel is the same as their regular nail polishes.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got bubble bath, I love it!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think i may have to find a place and do this too.  Anyone find a place in Morristown?
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know there is one in Parsippany that my friend goes to, Joy, maybe?  I wish there was a better way to find out rather than calling everywhere. 
    Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    There is a place on Columbia Turnpike called Floris that does it too, very nice but more than 30 dollars, maybe 50? Can't remember
  • Options
    tori0417tori0417 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I LOVE the OPI gel polish!!! I hand sanitize 1000000 times a day and it does not peel/chip/fade ( which is why i never got manicures...because it looked trashy in a day.) lol.

Vito Mazza in Woodbridge does them.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm staring to notice some of the edges coming up.  grrr. I had the same problem with LCN.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Almost 2 weeks in and they are looking rough!!!  I'm going to have to get them done again tomorrow. The edges are lifting and the tips all separated.  My nails grow a lot faster than I thought.  I'm going to do it again and see how it holds up.  I did a lot of manual labor both inside and outside the past few weeks, so I don't feel like they got a fair shake this time.
    Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards