New Jersey

STD- Postcard or Flat card in envelope

I'd love some feedback on what people used, and if there are any cons to using a postcard format?? 

Re: STD- Postcard or Flat card in envelope

• edited December 2011
    I did the flat card in the envelope.  To me, I find it more formal than a postcard.
    ExerciseMilestone image
  • GolfChick78GolfChick78 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I believe it's less expensive to send a postcard, but it may get beaten up a little in the mail.
  • altimat873altimat873 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got a postcard in the mail and it looked gross by the time it got to me, like someone dropped it in water then it dried and people's dirty fingers were all over it. So go witht the envlope IMO.
  • HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    Although it's more expensive to mail we are putting ours in envelopes because e don't want them to get ruined in the mail

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I would not do a postcard for all of the reasons mentioned above. I used magnets from totallyweddingmagnets.com and they came out great.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    if you do a postcard, make sure you hand stamp them at the post office and then they won't get as beaten up in the mail.  i did a postcard style and it was horrible by the time it reached people.  i wished someone had told me to hand stamp them because that would have eliminated all of the bar codes and scuff marks from the machines that they go through if not hand stamped.  it's also known as "hand cancelling" if you want to research more about it.  good luck!
  • kellybee83kellybee83 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do a card in an envelope for the reasons mentioned above.  We ordered ours from magnet street.  I was going to do a card from them, but FI liked the magnet, so we did the same design in a magnet.  I was a little worried that the magnet would look cheesy/tacky, but it actually came out really cute and still looked classy. 
    Photobucket
  • edited December 2011
    We used magnetstreet as well and got magnets. They came out great and I thought they were pretty affordable! 

I wouldn't use postcards for fear that they would get mangled in the mail.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • ccandelaccandela member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_std-postcard-flat-card-envelope?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:f943cd2d-3850-426e-9621-99ae502237f1Post:619c6579-9e97-4f66-9cae-502b6d023849">Re: STD- Postcard or Flat card in envelope</a>:
    [QUOTE]if you do a postcard, make sure you hand stamp them at the post office and then they won't get as beaten up in the mail.  i did a postcard style and it was horrible by the time it reached people.  i wished someone had told me to hand stamp them because that would have eliminated all of the bar codes and scuff marks from the machines that they go through if not hand stamped.  it's also known as "hand cancelling" if you want to research more about it.  good luck!
    Posted by kristinashley83[/QUOTE]

<div>Actually, that's not necessarily true.  I inquired about this at the post office and they said while they can hand cancel - each envelope/postcard still goes through about 7 or 8 other machines that read the addresses and route them and while the ink is not an issue any more, they can still get pretty beat up in those other machines too.</div><div>
    </div><div>Good luck!</div>
  • xstarx05xxstarx05x member
    edited December 2011
    did a card in envelope. partially because I didn't want strangers to know when I'm getting married (call me crazy lol) however the reply cards inclded in invitations were postcards

save the date
    "Here we stand from two distant lands, brought together by His hand" <3 my Aussie <BR>
  • AllyH523AllyH523 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We did a postcard, and only heard of one person who received it with anything wrong with it - the picture smudged a little bit.  It was cheaper than something with an envelope, and I actually liked that it was informal – everything else about the wedding will be more formal, so this was just a casual, fun part!  We also didn’t ask for hand canceling at the post office.
  • uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My best friend did a postcard STD and it showed up in terrible shape -- labels and stamps all over it (including over the decoration).  It really was a shame because it was a very pretty postcard but it didn't look nice when it arrived.  My parents' showed up in bad shape too, and they live in the same small town that the postcards were mailed from.  (And we of course never told the bride because we didn't want to hurt her feelings.)  If you go the postcard route, I would at the very least have them hand-cancelled. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards