Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

When to book Memorial Day Wedding Flights/Hotel?

Hello all, I'm not actually getting married on Memorial Day, it's the day after but I plan to fly in on the 27th May and leave on the 3rd of June. I've asked this question before (on TripAdvisor) and everyone said wait until after Christmas. The thing is, I've been checking the flights and hotels available (on Expedia) and it looks like they're all booking up! Is this an accurate account of what's actually happening though?? Do things really book up that quickly for Memorial Day wkend? Forgive the silly questions - I'm English! 

In short, should I wait until after Christmas to book or should I do it now!? 

Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: When to book Memorial Day Wedding Flights/Hotel?

• Options
    BA11BA11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are also getting married Memorial Day Weekend. We are planning to send out our Save the Dates next month. I don't know about fliying from England, but we are waiting a little while before we book our flights and hotel. I think Memorial Day Weekend is busy but I called one hotel we are interested in and they said it actually works well for us because it's the big conferences and conventions that can quickly book up the hotels.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't wait to book either.  Any holiday weekend gets busy in Vegas and room deals can dry up quick.  For flights; I booked as soon as Southwest opened the dates for our wedding and while the fares did dip maybe $40 lower at one point, that was after that one plane had an emergency landing; other than that two week period, fares only went higher.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    edited December 2011
    We were married Memorial Day weekend this year and booked our airfare about 7 months prior. We watched the rates go up and down and up and then we couldn't take it anymore and just booked when it was on the lower side.  Hotel book ASAP as it is very busy that weekend! GREAT weekend to get married!!!! A LOT of my guests booked GREAT deals on expedia for air/hotel together for that weekend as opposed to booking separately.
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Book early and book often....

you can always change your flight or reservation.  Our flights went down 60 days out so we rebooked and received a credit for a future flight.  Our hotel was part of a package but if you aren't doing that, book now and work on negotiations later.  Everything goes up and up for MD and it gets booked fast.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    empeguesempegues member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_book-memorial-day-wedding-flightshotel?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:09b1820c-d919-462b-91ae-613df8dfac9fPost:07b0864d-d8ae-46a1-b0bb-f973db3954bf">Re: When to book Memorial Day Wedding Flights/Hotel?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Book early and book often.... you can always change your flight or reservation.  <strong>Our flights went down 60 days out so we rebooked and received a credit for a future flight.</strong>  Our hotel was part of a package but if you aren't doing that, book now and work on negotiations later.  Everything goes up and up for MD and it gets booked fast.
    Posted by smokeybailey[/QUOTE]

Smokeyb, did you book directly through an airline, or a travel site.. and did you get trip insurance so you could change flights without penalty? 

My wedding date is May 10, 2012 and flights were initially almost $400 and are now dipping toward $360.  Both of those prices are outrageous (I don't think I've ever paid more than $250 to fly to Vegas), so I've been waiting.  But if I can book now to secure our spots and then change in the future witout penalty I definitely would, but I'm betting the prices lower for my date.
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welllllllll.....I went from $89 flights to $29 flights and yes we were charged a $50 change fee.  So we actually only got around $60. But that covered half of one of our flights back to Vegas in December.

I always book with the airline and never buy insurance.

Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    Sara191431Sara191431 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would book earlier than later, all flights have done is gone up for our dates since they came out, and ours isn't even a holiday!
  • Options
    SuvaksasSuvaksas member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm nervous now though! I wanted to book flights and hotel together to get the discount but if I book that way I can't change the flight or hotel if the price goes down. We're looking at paying nearly £2000 if we book now :S I wanted to stay at the TI but it's not available anymore! And if I book seperately the flight prices are sky high so any potential saving on the hotel probably won't be worth waiting for.

I think I've answered my own question actually, I should just book it now and avoid paying an even higher price and missing out on the good hotels - most of which are gone!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    ebuchanan89ebuchanan89 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

empegues - you have gotten a flight for May 2012?  Did I read that right?  I only ask because we are getting married in April and I have tried a number of airlines and none of them are taking reservations for April, yet. Actually, onw or two airlines have flights scheduled, but with 1 or 2 layovers, and I know that there are direct flights offered by a number of airlines - those are the ones who are not taking reservations for April.   Am I doing something wrong?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards