Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Walk down the aisle

My father passed away several years ago and it's always difficult when I get to major mile stones in my life that he's not here to share with me.  If my father was here it would be him to walk me down the aisle without a doubt but since he is not I was thinking maybe my mom and brother.Now with that said I feel funny about the whole give the bride away thing and someone walking me down the aisle but at the same time doing it alone also seems weird.  I think even if my father was here I would feel funny about it.  Any thoughts on this ladies.  Are you having someone walk you down?  Let me know ladies Thx Mel--

Re: Walk down the aisle

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I know how you feel. My father is also gone & in his honor I'm getting married on his birthday. Like you, it will feel wierd having someone else walk me down but also alone. The more I think about it, the more I think I will have my mom walk with me.
  • Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    If you're not comfortable with the "giving away" bit, you can always leave that line out of the ceremony.I would actually prefer to walk down myself, but my dad won't have any of that.  I'll probably only have him walk me partway, so I can walk the rest of the way myself.What about walking in with your FI?  I love that option, I think it's so sweet.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Are you close to your mom? Maybe she could walk with you. That's what I ended up deciding.Walking by yourself is a great option, too, if it feels right to you. For me, I knew I'd be really emotional and I wanted to have someone to lean on, but I think either way looks great. It's all up to what you feel comfortable with. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I lost my father close to our wedding date.  Since I am very close to my mother as well, I asked her to walk me down on our special day.  When the officiant asked who gives me away, my mother said, "Her father and I."  :-)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I like that idea a lot Ashley. You could put his favorite flower in your bouquet, whether it matches or not. I am going to put a single purple iris in mine, in honor of my grandfather. He is the man I would have had walk me down the aisle, so I will walk with a part of him.
  • Options
    atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would have preferred to walk alone, but much like pp, it would have broken my Dad's heart. I had him walk me part of the way, then DH met us and walked me the last few steps. We left out the whole "giving away of the bride" thing.
  • Options
    brainardjillbrainardjill member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My family is a little complicated, and my whole life whenever I pictured myself walking down the aisle, I always envisioned it as just me, by myself.  I also feel like I am kind of too old to be given away.  I plan on walking myself down the aisle, then when I get to my fiance, the officiant will ask something like, "Who supports the union of Joseph and Jill as they enter into marriage?"  And all of our parents/step-parents will stand and say, "We do."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    thank you ladies for your thoughts on this.  I like the idea of having them omit the who gives this bride way thing.  And incorporating something of my fathers is a great idea. I really want my FI to walk with me but he doesn't want to do that maybe I'll have him meet me half way. Thx again you girls rock!!Mel--
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    My father thankfully is going to be there to give me away and he will say "her mother and I" There was a chance he was not going to be able to make it and I would of had my sister walk me down saying that our Mom and Dad give me away...maybe your brother could do that?
  • Options
    rachel.wengerrachel.wenger member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My father and I do not speak or see each other. I've asked my brother to walk me down the aisle since he is one of my best friends. He was actually really happy to play that role and I couldn't be happier about that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards