Nevada-Las Vegas

Is it ok

In efforts to try to save on money, we want to offer a hosted bar, however at the current moement it does not seem like a fesible option. Would it be ok to have a hosted bar for one hour, then for the remainder do a cash bar?

Re: Is it ok

• edited December 2011
    Personally, I don't think that would fly too well.We're going to do a hosted beer and wine only package for our dinner.  It cost half the price of a full hosted bar and our guests won't have to pay for anything.  Perhaps your venue has a similar option?
  • edited December 2011
    I would just down grade to beer & wine or wine with dinner only....I think most people would understand.
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing beer and wine open bar. We found this to save on cost quite a bit!
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    With that scenario, you'd either have people SERIOUSLY pounding drinks in that first hour while they're free (probably drinking more and getting more trashed than they would have otherwise), or getting really upset when they go to the bar after the first hour and discover that drinks now cost money.We were able to get fully hosted beer and wine for a pretty reasonable price.  We're hoping there will be room in the budget to add a signature cocktail, we'll see.  People will be more understanding of a limited bar that's open all night than of having an open bar dangled in front of them, then snatched away.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    Damn, I replied thinking the OP was someone else, sorry.  Regardless, I would try and cut costs elsewhere if you can.  I am a firm believer in if you host a party you shouldn't ask your guests to pay for anything.  Cut out the details that are unnecessary (centerpieces, favors, STDs, etc.) but keep the things that are important to you.  For us it was food, bar and photos.  The beer and wine package that PPs suggested is a good option.  As a guest I wouldn't be upset by this and would understand.  For some areas, a cash bar is totally normal, you know your guests and generally know what will upset them.  You have quite a bit of time, so things could change.  Check in to the beer and wine package and the other small details that can be cut to save money.  GL.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    What if you just did beer, wine and a signature cocktail? it'd be cheaper than having a fully stocked bar. Or a rail bar instead of top shelf. I don't think that during a part open, part cash would fly well. At least it wouldn't for my guests.
  • jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Having a hosted bar was important to us, but we also struggled on deciding on how long to have it. We knew that our guests were drinkers, so it was gonna cost us money. We opted for 4hr package bar that included champagne toast for $2700 this was based on 100 guests. It was worth it, but I'm sure our guests wouldn't have cared less if it was just beer and wine.
  • edited December 2011
    I am set on having my reception at Joe's. Their beer and wine pkg is $44pp for 3 hours. I was hoping to only pay about $30pp for 4 hours. I know it seems like $14 is not a whole lot but multiply that by 60 guests, it adds up. Thanks so much for your opinions. I know my faimly and they are heavy drinkers. I know my cousins wedding in CA was a cash bar, my other cousin in vegas had no bar, and another cousin had a hosted bar. So it varies I suppose. Stuck between a rock and a hard place... I have also cut out a lot of other things, no favors, no rehersal got a photographer who is a faimly friend so that is no cost. I guess the reception and the ceremony is what is important to me, most of the funds are going to the reception. My other option i suppose is a lunch reception which will save about$20pp in the end... UGH
  • edited December 2011
    I would def consider lunch if it will mean that you can still have a few of the other things you want, and still feel that you treated your guest...I know it's hard because you feel that you have cut back on other things, and you don't want to feel that you gave everthing up! I am in the same boat! I want all of the little extras, but still want to make sure that my guest are taken care of=)It will all work it's self out! You have time to get more research in =)  
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Sheila xSheila x member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hi,I am thinking about just doing wine for the meal and will buy 1 or 2 rounds after the meal get the champers going after the meal for the toast.I wouldnt go too mad in a hosted bar, at the end of the day I think people would be very greatful that you have paid for meal and wine durin the meal. I do know when we were budgeting for our wedding it was the hosted bar that really brought the price up and if you think about it would people really drink what you have spent per hour? I can personally say I would be a very slow drinker after a 3/4 course meal. Its up to you at the end of the day. Good Luck,
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm not familiar with Joe's, but can you try haggling on the alcohol package?  So if, for instance, the package comes with three white and three red wines, you can cut it down to two a piece?  Or maybe you could price out a consumption bar package and see if it would be cheaper?Another option some people do is to close the bar completely for the hour during dinner, since people won't really be getting up then anyway.  You just put a sign at the bar letting people know to get their drinks beforehand.I would just level with your venue and tell them what you can afford, and see what they can work out for you.  It can't hurt to ask.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • edited December 2011
    "At current moment" is 1 yr and 10 months away from the day... I think you have time to figure out a feasible option.  :) Beer & Wine only would be my choice if one can't do an open bar.
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with Chaotic. You have way more than a year to make a decision on this. Joe's does not need finalization until several days before the event. We were even changing guest counts the day before. You never know what can happen between now and then. You're financial recsources may change in either direction. It's not something to stress about now.With my reception at Joe's we had 34 people. We had the basic apps but upgraded our meals. The majority of the people had the steak and crab option for $80 pp (20 more than the standatd meal). We also had red and white wine poured at the tables before and during dinner and an open bar which was utilized. And a champagne toast. I picked the wine and champ. before hand it they were approx. $40 per each bottle. That was a mid-range bottle.Our total bill was $6000 and that included gratuity. Our final bill before gratuity was just at $5000.Personally, I would serve some sort of alcohol. Even if it's wine and beer.I do have wine price lists if you want them e-mailed. I can also answer any joe's questions/
  • edited December 2011
    We loved the idea of having our reception at Joe's, but ended up going with Maggiano's simply because Joe's didn't fit into our budget with the open bar, but Maggiano's did. However, when I was speaking with Joe's, they came up with the solution of doing a consumption bar with drink tickets. The idea for us was to provide 3 drink tickets per person (they could give them to drinkers if they were non-drinkers). This would have enabled us to fit Joe's into our budget, but we decided to go with Maggiano's because our friends sure do like to drink! We figured changing the location so that we could have an open bar was the best decision for our situation. It would just be less confusion/hassle/worry since an open bar was something that's important to us.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards