Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

need etiquitte advice!

My fiance and I are on a pretty tight budget.  We were thinking about having a late wedding, around 8:00 and having just hors d'oeurves and dessert with an open bar for the reception.  Adding food at a place like Caesar's costs about $8000 and we just don't have that kind of money to throw around.  Any advice?

Re: need etiquitte advice!

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Generally that's fine, though having that at a destination wedding (where people have to spend a lot more of their own money to get there) might cause you to get a bit of a side-eye from some people.  If you're having a full open bar, though, you don't want people running around on empty stomachs, or they're going to get very drunk very quickly.Are you committed to the reception location?  I'm sure you can get food elsewhere (a meal or heavy apps to constitute a meal) for much less.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Wow. We are are getting married at Planet Hollywood and purchased a package for around $7,000 total that includes the ceremony and in-suite reception (hors d'oeuvres, 2-tier cake and rock bar). So, I am sure that you can find another venue for a reception that is a bit more economical.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think that's fine at that time of night.  If I were going to a wedding at 8 pm, I would probably eat dinner first.  You could mention it on the invites, though, that it will just be hors d'oeurves so that they know to eat.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think you will be fine doing hors d'oeurves and desert.  I will doing the same thing.  We will be mentioning that it is a cocktail reception on our invites so people know not to expect a full meal, but we have ordered enough hor d'oeurves and plenty of dessert so everyone is sure to fill up and we are sticking to our budget.
  • Options
    easton23easton23 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at 7:30pm and did the same.  Just heavy hors d'oeurves.  Most of our guest hit a buffet earlier, it is Vegas.  But we did inc. all that info on our invite.  Good luck.
  • Options
    aphillips3aphillips3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I definately think just hors d'oeurves is just fine. Especially at 8pm. I do think it is a good idea to put on the invitation something about joining you for coctails and hor d'oeurves after the ceremony. That way people will know what to expect. That is what my fiance and I are doing.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We put it on our invites and had an insuite reception so that people would know. Some people ate, and we had heavy apps, so we ended up with a lot left over. :( But at least everyone knew what to expect.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the advice. I will do something like "hors d'oeurves and dessert immediately following at (insert venue here)" So everyone knows to fill up. The big thing I was worried about was what you said about getting the "side eye" from people. I will definitely try not to get everyone all liquored up on an empty stomach. Thanks guys!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    How many people are you hosting? One of the reasons we decided to have our wedding in Vegas was to save money. We found that it made more sense for us to skip the whole reception hall thing and just host a dinner for our guests that night. I did some checking around and found that it was only going to be about $1500 to host a dinner for about 30 guests at one of our favorite resturants at the Paris. I found some other reasonable deals as well at other resturants.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards