Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

I just find this funny

FI and I are getting married relatively quickly (6 months from proposal to wedding date) and everyone that I know that has gotten married in Vegas, has done it as a quickie wedding in response to a surprise baby. Therefore, I am getting a lot of questions about whether I am pregnant. Truth is, I just like Vegas and I wanted to get married in the Spring - and we didn't see any need to wait until 2011 since it's so easy to book everything in Vegas whenever you want it. It's FI's fault for waiting so long to propose ;)Anyone else getting this reaction? I love it, makes me giggle.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: I just find this funny

• Options
    atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No doubt telling someone you are getting married in Vegas causes all kinds of funny looks.My favorite comment was from someone who was actually at my wedding who told me I didn't have a REAL wedding.  Huh?  I just shook my head and laughed.  But everyone still talks about how much fun they had and what a great weekend it was :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    People do react funny to getting married in Vegas.  I had a friend ask us if the wedding would be legal because "what happens in Vegas stays in vegas".  The funny part is he was serious.  His wife was so embarrassed and I still can't stop laughing when I think about it.  I was already pregnant when we got engaged so no baby rumors for us especially because she already 7 months. 
  • Options
    kikibabykikibaby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Everyone seems to think we're going to be doing a drive-through wedding, or that Elvis will be our officiant.Although I would love to have Elvis officiate.... ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I have also been asked if Elvis will be presiding and if there will be a little old lady playing a small organ who will also witness the ceremony. I wish i would have kept track of how many times I have said, "Actually, you can really have a nice wedding in Vegas."
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You will get that on the knot as well in your month boards and other locations. I love the comment of the "real wedding" I guess all of us locals need to have destination weddings somewhere else to have a real wedding. I have often wondered what people are thinking when they say things like that.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I dont allow them to get that punch line in. I tell them "yea we are getting married in Vegas, and its going to be the drive through with Elvis... Acutally we are doing it because of money and conveience since our families are spread out." I find it rather funny when the expression on their face goes from haha to oh well ok then...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Definitely about the same story as us! We will be about 7 months from engagement to Vegas! We originally were thinking of about a year engagment when we were going to have it here to have time to save money, but when we decided on Vegas we were excited that we didn't have to wait so long.  We have been getting some of the same reactions that we are having a "shot-gun" wedding...ok?  People asking why we are "rushing" into it, and not being able to "enjoy our engagement"....I thought 7 months was an adequate engagement, but most of the people I know were engaged for over a year, but I've never wanted that.  We def get alot of Elvis comments, and "real" wedding comments too!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I live in Vegas and am proud of that, but we are getting married in AZ where all of our friends live.  I get the reaction of, why bother planning a real wedding when you can just go to the little white chapel?  Like just because I live in Vegas means that I should just have a quicky wedding.  Of course these are the same people that think I must do nothing but hang out on the strip and go to night clubs, like there is nothing in Vegas outside of the strip! Ha
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Additional Note... My mother was calling my aunts to verify addresses and telling them that the reason that we are getting married in Vegas is because it is FI's 3rd marriage (a fact that most of family never even knew). That has absolutely nothing to do with it! Before I ever met FI, I talked about wanting to get married in Vegas and by-pass the big church wedding. Apparently, my own mother thinks that there has to be an ulterior motive.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thats funny that you said your mom thinks it's bc it is you FI's 3rd marriage....cause when I first told my mom we were thinking of Vegas, she said, "I thought the only people that get married in Vegas is because it isn't their first marriage, and they don't want a real wedding at home because of this." I just rolled my eyes haha
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards