Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)

Got an e-mail from my reception venue coordinator this morning saying that they're closing the restaurant down three days before my wedding so I need to find another venue and that she is sorry blah blah blah.  I don't really know how to handle this since we had a contract, but didn't require a deposit at the time of signing.

I'm 11 days out for Christ's sake!  Who the crap does that kind of thing to a person?  I haven't responded to her e-mail because I'm in shock of what to say.  It's above her that the owners decided to close up and it's likely this all means her job is going poof, too...  So no use getting angry at someone who didn't do anything wrong.  But still!

More than being super angry I'm just really disappointed and annoyed I have some big obsticle put in front of me this close to the date.  At this point I'm just really tired of wedding planning (not that it hasn't been fun!) and just want to get on with things.  :(

Re: Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    OHHHH MY GOD!!!!

I would be beyond pissed, but that doesn't really do any good.

I'm in shock for you! I know what you mean about feeling DONE with wedding planning.

OK, let's get on to solutions. You have a fairly small group, so it shouldn't be too difficult. What was your per person price?

How about Firefely on Fremont Street? There have been good reviews about food and service, and I remember it not being outrageously expensive.

How about a buffet? From your bio it looks like you have transportation already, so you could do the buffet at M Resort (Studio B) I think. J_Jaye knows a lot about it. I think beer and wine is included with dinner.

The buffet at Paris has private areas. I think they require a couple hundred bucks to rent them.

Lawrys
    What's that caribbean one? Bahama Breeze
    Those are both off strip so they should be less expensive.

Be pissed, get it out of your system, and then get some stuff DONE. You will feel so much better.

I'm so sorry!! Let me know if I can help in any other way!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Holy crap! Sorry to hear that, this is like a nightmare moment. I would be in total pissed off shock. I don't have suggestions for you but I do hope you can find a new venue soon & does not cause you too much more stress.
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for all those lovely suggestions Natrasha!  I looked up a place at work and a family member is going to call since our home computer broke about a week ago (I'm usually not this unlucky) and I can't Skype from work.  But if that doesn't work out I'll definitely be checking with those!  If all else fails, Vista Suite maybe?

Thanks for the support, hgaf...  I just feel lucky we didn't write the reception name/place on the invitations, we didn't pay a deposit, and our wedding isn't on the weekend.

The only thing I'm worried about is that we may have to pay an additional cake cutting fee with a new reception venue and the only reason we went with our current cake vendor is because the original venue was a contact of theirs so we could wave their fee.  I feel like if the new place charges a cake cutting fee due to their bomb drop and me having to move venues they should at least compensate me that or something.  :(

I'm waiting to book a new venue before I mail the old venue back as it will put me in a better mood.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I feel SOOO Badly for you!! I couldn't even imagine! 

We are also doing an elvis ceromony at the graceland wedding chapel.... And wanted to do a low key kind of meal.  I'm not sure where you were looking at having it at, but the Hard Rock Cafe's menu was really reasonable and the food looks great for the price! 

...if you want me to forward the menu information/prices to you i can.

Good Luck!  I hope it turns out for the best!

Let me know how the wedding goes!!

*** and you don't have to pay a cake cutting fee they just subsitute it for the desert the comes with the meal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    mizutamababymizutamababy member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Another Graceland Chapel bride, yeaaah!  Which package did you choose?  :)

Thanks!  We originally checked out Hard Rock Cafe as our first choice but they came back with something close to $2,500 for anything more than burgers that we couldn't afford once gratuity and tax were added to that...  Unless they changed their pricing since March..?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    We just did the cheap package ... I think its the viva las vegas.  And I'm just going to buy the pictures that i want, and I think i'm going to get the DVD.  What package did you choose??

Well the email that I got from them they said that we would be in the main dining but get two large tables off to the side (which i really don't care about so it works for us)  the most expensive meal package was 39$ and that included tax/gratuity and was for like steaks/full rack of ribs -- If you want me to forward it to you I can.  They also didn't have a minimum.  At least thats what the sales/marketing manager told me.

They also said that they personalize the menus with our names/date on the top - To me it was the most cost effective and close to where we are staying so i don't have to worry about transportation back for everyone.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh goodness I'm SO sorry!

After checking out a ton of options, we are doing a VERY low key dinner at 9 Fine Irishmen in NYNY (that's how we roll).  They have a low minimum and we were able to book the 2nd floor for ourselves.  Worth a try if you are interested - the Group Dining Manager is extremely helpful and accommodating.  Very quick to respond to any questions, too.

Just breathe - everything will be OK!!
    "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    @sportsbear - Do you mind me asking how much was the low minimum at NYNY? 

when I checked i thought it was kind of spendy if having a smaller group like 20 ish because they wanted $1750 before tax/gratuity - which wasn't for private dining either.  And at 40$ - $60 a person it would have been hard to come close to the minimum before tax/gratuity :(  we really wanted to have ours there as that's where we are staying but I thought was too spendy.....  I guess thats what I was told anyways.

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_serious-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:1548d0b7-bf2a-4eed-b636-86a17964fd6aPost:e96ff5a1-9012-45a2-b3aa-f117bba9237f">Re: Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]@sportsbear - Do you mind me asking how much was the low minimum at NYNY?  when I checked i thought it was kind of spendy if having a smaller group like 20 ish because they wanted $1750 before tax/gratuity - which wasn't for private dining either.  And at 40$ - $60 a person it would have been hard to come close to the minimum before tax/gratuity :(  we really wanted to have ours there as that's where we are staying but I thought was too spendy.....  I guess thats what I was told anyways.
    Posted by amber0389[/QUOTE]

Alcohol was the deciding factor in our decision, honestly.  We aren't doing a seated dinner off of their group menus.  We have about 36 in our group and have a $1500 minimum.  Most of our people are "hearty" drinkers and we will also have a ton of appetizers to help meet the minimum.  It was cheaper to do it this way than to have the full open bar option which would have made it almost $90pp including "formal group menu" food.  OUCH and no thank you.  About 2 weeks before we are going to set up the apps and other details with them.

Like I said, it's VERY laid back and it's more our style to have it causal.  With around 20 people I can see how this might not work as well.

Late Addition:  Other places, such as Ri Ra, quoted us at least $3500 with a bunch of rules, additional fees and limitations on options. 
    "You'd be surprised how much it costs to look this cheap." - Dolly Parton Daisypath Anniversary tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry mizutama! I'm sure it will all work out! I was going to suggest a buffet reception as well... please let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    OMG!!! I'm so sorry to hear this. It's all going to work out.  I agree with PP on the buffet or possibly a smaller off strip restaurant.

What about

Ricardo's - www.ricardosoflasvegas.com/

Casa di Amore - www.casadiamore.com/ (they have some packages for lunch $18 pp or dinner $24 pp)

Firefly on Paradise - http://www.fireflylv.com/index.html

Mundo Restaurante - www.mundolasvegas.com/

Yolos - www.ark>vegas.com/restaurants_yolos.htm
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That's crazy; I can't imagine hearing that 11 days out.  Unfortunately about all you could do is have a lawyer look at the contract to see if you could go after them for something related to breach of contract but that would probably cost more than it would be worth dealing with.

Married in Vegas - June 2011

• Options
    mikkiwin8mikkiwin8 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011

I'm really sorry you're having to deal with this added stress. I have a feeling your going to find something that'll turn out even better than your previous venue. I mean, think about it..... if they had gone through with yours before closing you would have had people who had been laid off and didn't care putting on your event!
    I hope you have the time of your life!!! Good luck!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I went through this same situation but I had 3 months to find something new! I'm SO sorry. I totally get how frustrating it is.
    Just as an FYI, Natrasha had recommended Firefly on Fremont but they are closed. They're the ones that pulled this on me. I'm glad you're looking into another option. I hope it all works out!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    That really sucks. I'm sorry that happened to you and so close to your wedding. If you need any help finding a new place, I'm sure all of us working together will find you something.

A few suggestions:
    La Salsa Cantina - menus start at $19.95/person
    Studio B (M Resort) - dinner $23.99/person
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_serious-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:1548d0b7-bf2a-4eed-b636-86a17964fd6aPost:a66be62b-ce08-41d4-9f15-7057f1fe566e">Re: Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]I went through this same situation but I had 3 months to find something new! I'm SO sorry. I totally get how frustrating it is. Just as an FYI, Natrasha had recommended Firefly on Fremont but they are closed. They're the ones that pulled this on me. I'm glad you're looking into another option. I hope it all works out!
    Posted by ricekim[/QUOTE]

Dang! I thought it was one of their other locations that closed on you. I know someone had a good review of one of the other locations recently. But still... maybe look into one of the other options with no "they cancelled my reception" reviews :) :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What venue is this?
    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_serious-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:1548d0b7-bf2a-4eed-b636-86a17964fd6aPost:c3ede085-9235-4dca-bf70-371e57485e21">Re: Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE]What venue is this?
    Posted by ebonyivory10[/QUOTE]
    Her reception was at Cadillac Ranch in TownSquare
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about Maggiano's?  A lunch reception family style is $24.95 a person. Your minimum is dependent upon which room you use but I think the smallest room (Di Carlo) is $400.   
    Edited to correct minimum amount.
    Until the first full year of being one! Anniversary
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm so sorry :(

Could you do a suite reception at any of the usual options (PH, Platinum, Orleans, MB)?
  • Options
    zitiqueenzitiqueen member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_serious-vent?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:1548d0b7-bf2a-4eed-b636-86a17964fd6aPost:8333c343-4ae6-4169-9dfa-bf4b92930d78">Re: Are you SERIOUS?! (Vent!!)</a>:
    [QUOTE] How about Firefely on Fremont Street? There have been good reviews about food and service, and I remember it not being outrageously expensive. Posted by Natrasha[/QUOTE]

Firefly didn't re-open when the Plaza did.
  • Options
    MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I know you're pissed at the venue (and you should be!), but there's a chance they have suggestions and contacts that could help you.  It's Vegas, and everyone knows a lot of people in their industry.  I would tell them it's for a wedding reception and you just don't know where else to go with such little time.  In other words, play the sympathy card instead of the anger card.  For now.
    imageimageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards