Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Why Did You Choose Vegas?

I'm just curious why we all chose Vegas. Sorry if this has already been asked.

We chose Vegas becuase our family and friends live all over the country and who doesn't want to visit Vegas? We are also pretty non-traditional people. We've been together 9 yrs and have 3 kids already. The thought of a traditional wedding actually makes me hyperventilate a little bit.

Why did you choose Vegas?

Re: Why Did You Choose Vegas?

• Options
    I have family in MD and NC and my FI has family in TN. Both of us are from divorced parents and essentially have four sets of families. We started planning a MD wedding, the guest list started getting out of control and we started losing excitement about our big day. We decided to have a smaller wedding with 50 of our nearest and dearest in an awesome location. We are so excited we went this route and are looking foward to our wedding so much. Now we can start our new life together with the people we really care about and not spend time making awkward conversation with people we see once every few years at family reunions.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    We've never wanted a traditional huge wedding - which would have been exactly that had we had a local wedding.  We also didn't want to spend $10-20,000 on a wedding.  So we decided on Vegas....  Although with all the drama that's been going on lately.  I'm really kicking myself that I didn't take FI up on his offer to elope there last march :( 

Oh and I'm SO not a planner, i hate details and overall think weddings are just stupid - not all but most.  So this way i get out of most of the traditional wedding things (like wedding showers, b-parties, speeches, decorating, i just overall hate it all)....
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    Similar reasons to PP - our guests are coming from all over, and it didn't seem fair to have our wedding in my hometown or his.  We aren't a traditional couple, so we couldn't have a traditional wedding.  We're excited to show our family and friends that you can have a cool, modern wedding in Vegas.

We love that Vegas is what you make of it.  You can gamble, sit by the pool, go to the spa, or walk around all day long. 

For our budget, we wouldn't have been able to afford a honeymoon right away, so this works well!  Oh, and we loooooooove Vegas.  It was the first place we went together when we started dating, and we couldn't imagine a more perfect place to get married!

I really hope each of our guests looks back on our wedding and goes, "damn, that was an awesome party".  :)
  • Options
    We've both been married before, we're both 40+.   A destination wedding, double duty as a vacation, was a must, Vegas was least expensive.

We have friends with a condo on the beach in Hawaii that invited us to come stay with them, so we were going to go there, but flights alone were $600-$800  EACH in February, and I couldn't seem to find a wedding package that was "just" a ceremony. ( we were going to sneak away and elope, we travel all the time, we would have just come back married from this one.) For $1500-2000 this would have cost us, we could do more with our money if we were going to spend that much to get away.

Mexico is our favorite place, but it seemed like a hassle getting married up here first, then down there again (because that's how it rolls for Mexico weddings, and if we're already married, why bother?)

If we stayed local, we didn't know what to do - we knew we didn't want a church wedding, it's gloomy in Seattle this time of year (the date was firm), and we just couldn't picture ourselves doing something so 'organized' (traditional?). There's a "Hitching Post" in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, just a few hours from here, we were going to go over there, but there's NOTHING else to do there to make a mini-vacation out of it. Reno is 'sorta' close for us, but it's kinda grungy down there now, not fun for us to go any more.

So ... we looked at Vegas prices, we got our flight + room for both of us for $650 total, and the chapel packages are great - we got a $400 one of those and picked a chapel with a web cam so we wouldn't have to take our kids, and bam - DONE! We invited everyone we knew, knowing no one would come, and they didn't. We had guest count of 12 present at the ceremony, and 3 of those were local to Vegas. I liked the concept of 'just showing up' and getting married - the colors, flowers, details, etc were not a bother.. it was rather nice, espcially reading all of the drama and chaos everyone seems to go through here on TK during their planning processes!  Hubs got the 'ceremony' he wanted and I just got married, after 9 years, that's all *I* wanted! (We got married last week, 2/29)
  • Options
    We started planning a huge at home wedding, our budget went over $15,000 and the stress levels maxed out.  We thought about it, and neither of us really wanted a huge wedding..we just wanted to have fun!  Our family is all local, so it's a lot of traveling for everyone, but I think it's totally worth the trip!

Our other reason...his family basically wrote us off a few years back, and when they found out we were getting married they were less then thrilled.  Some even said they refused to come, even though it was only 20 minutes from home... He said he'd feel a little upset if none of his family showed up, so Vegas cut our guest list, and our most important people will be there regardless!

Also, we have been together almost 6 years and have a daughter...Tradition went out the window a while ago :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm going to have to agree with PPs regarding not being traditional and not wanting to spend an insane amount on the wedding.  It's a second marriage for him, first for me - he did traditional the first time around and that turned out to be a disaster.  

Also we both have large extended families which would have meant a huge wedding and a huge budget.  My family lives in Nova Scotia and we & most of his family live in Ontario and if we decided to get married "at home" it would have been in Nova Scotia so only his family would have needed to travel and I didn't think that was fair.

I also really don't like being the center of attention so I initially wanted to just go to courthouse but I'm my parent's oldest and my mom would have been devestated if there was no "real" wedding. 

So we decided on a destination wedding.....bonus of honeymoon being included :) .....we're not big partiers anymore (we're both in our 30s and he has two little boys that live with us) so going down south to an all inclusive resort didn't really appeal to us, and I LOVE Vegas and my FI has never been so that's how we ended up going to Vegas. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    We picked Vegas because we wanted the wedding WE wanted and not what other people wanted. This was 2nd wedding for both of us. When I was planning my first wedding, everything I wanted went out the window because of interference from other people.  

DH & I did not want to have to put up with crazy interfering people, family drama, stress and the high cost of having a wedding where we live. 

We decided on Vegas and were very happy we did! We had everything we wanted and more.  We spent a week in Vegas and had a great time, so fun!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Because my parents were married in Vegas 27 years ago!

We don't want a big wedding either.  Just something simple and something everyone will remember!  I am over the whole get married in a church with the reception at a hall thing because that's what everyone I know does!  We did not want this at all!

I can say that planning a wedding in Vegas is not as easy as people think it is.  There is just as many stresses as it would be if I was to plan a wedding in my hometown.
  • Options
    I thought about doing it back home in Texas, but half of our guests list was coming from overeas/out of state so I thought it would be best if we did it in a more accessible place where there were other things to do besides our wedding.  (Not much to do in Texas if you don't have a car, which most of our guests didn't.)

Another point was that we would have felt pressure to invite people we wouldn't have really wanted there on my side since they live so close, and also my family would have probably gunned for me to get married in a church because they're conservative Christian, although DH and I are not religious at all.

My family does Vegas every year, so everyone was glad to have another excuse to go.  Some of my friends back home had never been and were really excited, and the overseas guests were down with it because flights to Vegas are cheaper and there's more to sightsee.  We liked the idea of a Vegas wedding being fun and non-traditional.  We'd already been together for 6 years by the time the big day came, and it seemed like a nice way to spend our anniversary

My mom's a big Elvis fan so she was willing to overlook the not very religious aspect out of excitement to see me get married in a chapel like the ones she'd seen on TV.

Growing up I didn't have any idea of my dream wedding, but I would tell myself that I definitely didn't want a Vegas wedding!  How could people do a quickie wedding like that!  Doesn't it feel cheap/tacky?!  But it's funny how things change when you get older.  For us it was the perfect thing, and I feel like in retrospect anything else would have felt cheap instead.
  • Options

L.A. is one of the most expensive wedding markets in the country, and once I started realizing how much everything was going to cost a la carte, I started looking at the packages in Vegas and realized that we could have a really beautiful, nice wedding for like a quarter of what a cheap L.A. wedding would cost.  It was the easiest decision ever.  We'd rather spend money on a honeymoon than a big wedding. 

• Options
    brookerichbrookerich member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2012
    We chose Vegas because we have family here and there and figured who doesn't love Vegas?? 

Plus we aren't exactly the traditional couple.  FI is 11 years older than me, we want a Traditional Irish wedding with a lot of fun thrown in.  Its both of our second weddings. 

And Vegas was cheaper than having it here, believe it or not.  Even with paying for 2 nights rooms for our guests, dinner on Saturday, a double decker bus tour, reception and lots of pictures. 

Its the best of all worlds.  Plus we can start our honeymoon immediately after the wedding!! :)
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

Same as most of the PP's. We wanted a smaller, non-traditional wedding with our nearest and dearest without the formailities, speeches etc and plus we LOVE vegas x

• Options
    I always told DF I wanted to get married in Vegas. Once we were actually engaged, I toyed with having a at home wedding but when I realized the costs knew it would take longer to save. That plus my grandmas health, his parents wanting a Catholic wedding (which would not happen) made me go back to a sooner then later Vegas wedding. I am so glad I did. We are having only our nearest and dearest, and its going to be so much fun.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in agreement, I'm not a planner and my FI didn't want to have the wedding here in GA since he has a huge family which meant huge costs.

We decided on LV to keep the numbers down (only 10 people -if that- coming).
    We splashed out on a nice package then settled for a meal at Trevi where they can choose their own food. Spent a total of around $8,000 and his parents are paying for reception too.

I didn't want dancing, DJ's and ballrooms, not even a wedding cake. Just wanted the dress, venue and some food afterwards.
  • Options
    Uhm, cause I live here. In truth though, I live in a town NEAR Vegas but considering it is the largest city to be identified with... I live in Vegas. 

Like other posters though it was the ease of planning, the great cost, and I am one of the few locals that still really likes to visit the strip. Cool

*Sneaks back to corner*
    Not everyone gets to fall in love under the wing of a 747! Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    we were planning a wedding here and it skyrocketed to over $20,000 and it wasn't about what we wanted anymore and what everyone else wanted.  I told FI that I didn't want a wedding anymore and we started looking into eloping.  I told my mom we were going to elope and she suggested Vegas so she could still be there.  FI and I loved the idea so much we ran with it!
  • Options
    We had the same wedding in Vegas that we would have had at home except the hotel was cheaper for the guests, there was more to do after 1 am, rental cars weren't needed, and we love Vegas.  It's our second home.

I miss Vegas so much.  :)
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    I love this thread! I chose Vegas because we are a very non traditional couple we've been together since we were 16, for 10 years plus we have kids. He wanted a courthouse wedding to make it legal... I wanted the party and the dress lol... plus I have always LOVED Vegas. Also I'm not a planner, and marrying in Vegas took the majority of the stress out of getting married for me. But it came with its own set of drama ... Lol! I still feel like I made the right decision!
  • Options
    I've been in a lot of wedding over the last few years.  The bride spends months (or years) planning, obsessing and planning some more.  Then the day comes and it's over in the blink of an eye.  I wanted a destination wedding because I wanted to have more than one day for our family and close friends to celebrate and party with us - I didn't want it to be be over before it began.

Also, I want to party and nothing says party like being in Vegas!!! Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    I've been in a lot of wedding over the last few years.  The bride spends months (or years) planning, obsessing and planning some more.  Then the day comes and it's over in the blink of an eye.  I wanted a destination wedding because I wanted to have more than one day for our family and close friends to celebrate and party with us - I didn't want it to be be over before it began.

Also, I want to party and nothing says party like being in Vegas!!! Wink
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Why not? 2nd wedding for us both of us and I had a full traditional wedding the first time while he has a traditional Catholic ceremony. Vegas is the perfect option!
  • Options
    A destination wedding started as a joke at first as I got increasingly stressed about a wedding at home, with a huge guest count & more money than we could ever save. Finally, I was like... you know what? We really should get married somewhere else. We decided on Vegas because it's fun & there's a lot of variety. Now that it's over, I am SO glad we did it our way. We can't wait to go back though, we hardly had any time to ourselves after the wedding!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards