Nevada-Las Vegas

What day of the week was (or is) your wedding on?

My FI and I have been struggling with finalizing a date! We are planning on the May long weekend 2012 (It's a Canadian holiday, Monday May 21 2012 is Victoria Day) and we are struggling between Saturday, May 19 and Sunday, May 20. 
 I would like to do it the Sunday, to be honest I think May 20 just sounds nicer, and it will save us some money on the ceremony and suite rental for an in-suite, and the Monday is a holiday anyways.. but would this be inconsiderate for our guests? Do people much prefer to attend a wedding on a Saturday?
I also know it is too early to book anything, but I just want to grasp some opinions on the date.
Thanks!

Re: What day of the week was (or is) your wedding on?

• guamibearguamibear member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is on Sunday. I found we didn't have to compete for vendors as much booking on a Sunday. No one seemed to mind at all. No matter if it's Saturday or Sunday, everyone for our wedding is traveling, so they are likely going to take at least one day off for leave, so it didn't seem to matter for them whether it was Friday or Monday. Plus, if you will save a lot of money booking on Sunday, it sounds good to me.
  • wallacjewallacje member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011

Our wedding is on a Saturday, I preferred that day and we wouldn't have saved a ton of money based the packages we picked. I think those that will be attending are happier with the Saturday, some have said its easier for them to take a Friday off versus a Monday. 

If I was attending a wedding it wouldn't really matter to me if it was on a Sunday.  If Sunday is the day you want then go for it, its your day!!!

• smedina0212smedina0212 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our wedding will be on a Sunday. Our venue is cheaper on a Sunday and most of our family members will not have to request a day off to attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I wont be much help as our wedding is on a Wednesday. But all of our guests are coming from overseas so it will be more than a quick weekend trip for everyone.

I would probably prefer the Sunday if I was a guest at your wedding as it means I can fly in on Saturday and not have to take an extra day off work.
  • edited December 2011
    Our is on Tuesday. It was very important for us to get married on the 7th, we'll be celebrating 14 and 1/2 years that day. I'm not getting any kind of reduced rate at the Wynn but the good thing is that vendors don't get booked as much midweek and I can take my time selecting the hair/make up person etc.. 
    I don't think it's inconsiderate for guests to pick a Sunday (heck, we picked a Tuesday) and if it costs you less you should go for it. I agree that May 20 sounds nicer. 
  • GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is also on a Tuesday, but as it's a destination wedding our guests are making a proper holiday of it.

If it was a local wedding as a guest I wouldn't mind it being on a Sunday especially if the next day was a holiday!
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • edited December 2011
    My wedding is also on a Tuesday. 
    May 20th  does sound nicer.  Just do whatever is right for you!   :)
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a Friday.  The guests who had to fly found that it was actually cheaper to fly Wednesday-Saturday than Thursday-Sunday.  The only thing to take into account with a holiday weekend wedding is that people may have standing plans.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey, what's with the May 19 bashing?!Smile  We were married on May 19, which was a Wednesday.

Actually I would go with the Sunday because of the lower prices and easier to book top vendors.
  • edited December 2011
    We're getting married May 19, 2012, so I'm biased ;)  I preferred Saturday because I know it's easier for my friends and I to take Friday off versus Monday.

Sunday nights are usually cheaper for hotels, however.  So if your family/friends want to fly in Sunday morning, they may save money on their hotel room.
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks a lot. 
    I am probably going to go for the Sunday since the Monday is a holiday.
    And in regards to aerin, I was thinking about people already having plans, since that long weekend is pretty much designated as the first camping/ cottaging weekend of the year up here.. but we really aren't expecting everyone we invite to go, so that is okay if people already have plans.
  • edited December 2011
    i would pick saturday.

if people don't have alot of time off, they could take a half day on Friday and fly out in the evening - or catch a lte flight and not miss any work on Friday.  then they could leave on Sunday.

in general, i think it's alot easier for guests to plan for an event that falls on a Saturday, as compared to a Sunday.  there is a reason Saturdays are popular - they're the most convenient for most people.
  • atlcatloveratlcatlover member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married on a Friday.  It was worlds easier to coordinate vendors by not booking a Saturday.
  • smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours will be on a Saturday but my sister was married on a Tuesday. I think you are fine with whatever you go with.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• edited December 2011

We are doing Saturday evening.  I live about a 6 hour drive from Vegas go if people want to come on Saturday they could leave early Saturday and stay only 1 night.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    We are getting married on May 29 2011 a Sunday Our guest do not since Monday is a holiday.
  • clm211clm211 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours is on a Tuesday.  Some of my family gave me such a hard time when we picked our date because it was on a weekday.  My dad said that it was asking a lot of people who were already traveling for our wedding to take time off during the week.  I then told him well what do people do when they take a vacation...they take weekdays off.  He got the point then and let it be.  Plus we have found that it is easier to book venues and work with vendors during the week AND we have found that it is cheaper to stay in Vegas on a weekday versus a weekend for our guests and for us as well.

Whichever day you two decided is fine because it is YOUR day!  May 20th sounds perfect! :)
  • RachNRichRachNRich member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ours was on a Sunday for the shear cost factor---everything was a fraction of the price on an off day.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MeatAuditorMeatAuditor member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Do whatever date you want.  That's what save the dates are for.  Anyone from out of town will either have to take at least a day off or make it a really short trip.  Just send STDs enough in advance, and you can do whatever you want.  People who want to be there will make it happen.
    imageimageimage
  • edited December 2011
    I also think you should do what you want.  People will need to take time off regardless of which day, and it is YOUR day, so do what is easiest and best for you :) 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_day-of-week-wedding?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:17a14099-79e7-4626-a671-806e7693c5a0Post:c02ccf11-8ae1-4cb3-a7b1-38116b86e66a">Re: What day of the week was (or is) your wedding on?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do whatever date you want.  That's what save the dates are for.  Anyone from out of town will either have to take at least a day off or make it a really short trip.  Just send STDs enough in advance, and you can do whatever you want.  <strong>People who want to be there will make it happen.</strong>
    Posted by MeatAuditor[/QUOTE]
    That's not entirely fair.  We considered doing a Monday, but MOH flat-out told us that she wouldn't be able to go because her husband can't take Mondays off, and had actually just lost his previous job for taking too many Mondays off (since her OB-GYN appointments were usually Mondays).  So if I'd gone ahead with that plan, I would have put her in the difficult position of having to choose between my wedding and her family's livelihood.  That's not really something a good friend does.

I don't mean to say that you need to plan your wedding around every one of your guests' calendars, but I also think that you need to be considerate and try to keep from planning an event that they'll think of with bitter resentment because it's using PTO they can't really afford to take, or putting their job at risk because they're having to miss something important at work.  Loving the couple whole bunches doesn't give someone a more flexible schedule, and I know plenty of people, DH and myself included, who have been denied time off to attend a wedding, even for immediate family.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • bcschumanbcschuman member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Well I think May 20th is a GREAT day because that is when I am getting married this year... and it is on a Friday!  We picked Friday because most flights people will want to take will be on Wednesday/Thursday because there are usually better deals and the major company around here that does non-stop (once a week) flies out on Thursday.  I wanted a day where I could relax and have fun and stop worrying about the wedding stuffl... so that is Saturday for me.  We are going to do the pool, some sight seeing with my future stepdaughter... but won't have to worry about tanlines, hangovers, etc. for the next day or two!  Vendors were not so much cheaper but definitely more available:).

I do think it is necessary to schedule around some scheduling issues... for instance of my wedding party almost all are either accountants or are married to accountants, so scheduling our wedding anywhere between Jan-April 15 would not work.
  • edited December 2011
    Ours was on a Saturday, we did our best to accomodate our families travel and work schedules. We picked a day on which teh maximum number of people could attend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    You should just go with what your heart tells you to go with. We are getting married on May 5th which is a thursday. For one i liked the date, and i'm glad i did cause it was easier to book the vendors i wanted. I could take my time choosing a little bit longer than normal.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards