North Carolina

New bride to be who knows NOTHING about wedding planning

My fiance and I live in Locust NC (Stanly CO) and are looking for an inexpensive outdoor wedding venue for October 2012.  Does anyone know of something not too far away?

Also, is it normal to have the ceremony and reception in 2 seperate locations?  My fiance thinks this is what he wants to do and it will save money, but I'm not so sure.  Part of the reason is our families are very different - mine doesn't drink and his does, so the reception is going to be interesting.  We both want the reception to be a huge celebration, probably into the late evening hours as we wont leave for our honeymoon until the next day or two.  This is another reason having it closer to home would work out better.

Thanks for any feedback!!! 

Re: New bride to be who knows NOTHING about wedding planning

• YoungDuoYoungDuo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    How inexpensive are you looking to go? That will play a huge part into where you go, so I would definitely recommend figuring out a budget or at least a ballpark estimate budget. I'm not very familiar with Locust, but depending on what your house, your parents' house or his parents house looks like, you could have a cute backyard wedding. If not, look around local churches that have pretty landscaping and other areas. As far as the reception location. Most people that I know that have their ceremony in a church typically go somewhere else for the reception. So they can eat, dance, drink and socialize for however long. That's what I'm doing.  If your ceremony is not at a church, it would more than likely be more cost efficient to do your ceremony and reception at the same location. You will really just have to look around to see what you can find!! Good luck and congrats on the engagement!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 204 made the cut image 122 are ready to party image 65 are being lame
    image 17 can't find the mailbox
    RSVP Date: October 20
  • YoungDuoYoungDuo member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And as far as your family not drinking and his drinking..consider having just beer and wine or nothing at all. My thing is, it is your party/celebration but also think about who it is that you are entertaining. If it's friends and family that enjoy drinking socially, it may be a good idea to have beer and wine or at least one of them. People enjoy drinking at weddings, not to get hammered but just because it is a celebration. Another option to think about it, it does not have to be an open bar. You can always choose a location that can offer a cash bar that way whoever wants to drink can buy their own!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    image 204 made the cut image 122 are ready to party image 65 are being lame
    image 17 can't find the mailbox
    RSVP Date: October 20
  • dumbdoedumbdoe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the reply YoungDuo (and future Mrs. Young :).  Those are all great ideas.  We have started discussing our budget but it's been difficult to get a realistic number since we really havent even nailed down the location.  Back yard might work! 
  • edited December 2011
    Hey there "Future Mr's. Young". It might help you to hire a wedding planner. I know that it is an added expense, but I am a wedding venor and a lot of my brides get a planner and it makes a world of difference for planing AND for your budget because a good planner creates a budget for you, keeps you on track, and works with vendors to make your money go the furthest. My favorite planner in NC is Erin McLean of Erin McLean Events. www.erinmcleanevents.com

Good luck!!!
    Cara G
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards