Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

What are you doing with your dress afterwards?

Are you taking it with you on HM or shipping it somewhere? A knottie on my month board is planning on having a TTD session on her HM - I looooove the idea but I'm not sure it will fit our budget. I also don't see myself taking 2 more planes with the dress... should I FedEx it home?
What are you girls doing?

Re: What are you doing with your dress afterwards?

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I just kept mine in the car, but we drove.  If you're having to mess with planes, I would just ship it home.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm considering leaving it with Debi from Fit for a Bride, they will either clean it or preserve it and ship it back to your house. That would work great if you're going on your HM immediately following.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If you're a bride who doesn't plan to keeping her gown, why not donate it?  There are a few great ones out there including donating to Breast Cancer and brides in serving in Iraq and overseas.  I know this trash the dress trend is popular, but to be honest I find it pretty wasteful.  Why not put it to a good cause:) 
    http://bridesacrossamerica.com
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Having a trash the dress session doesn't mean one can't donate the dress afterwards. You don't literally trash it. I think donating it can be considered a trend too, a noble one obviously, but for the moment I like to think that I'll keep mine. I've waited 14 years to wear one - I don't even have it yet but I'm attached too it, it's a strong symbol for me, and part of a dream come true. 
  • Options
    MNVegasMNVegas member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Gemini, great idea about donating a dress. I planned on doing this with my ceremony gown, but have procristinated. Thanks for the reminder! 
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My sister was married on a Tuesday and her dress was shipped off for donation by my mom by the following week.  It's a great idea!

Also, if your dress was on the pricey side, remember that the donation is tax deductible. 
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    aerinpegadrakaerinpegadrak member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I donated my dress as well, to Brides Against Breast Cancer.  But I didn't ship it off straight from Vegas, I had to bring it home first, which I'm pretty sure was what OP was asking about.
    This is a neglected planning bio.
    This is a belated married bio, with no reviews yet because I'm lazy.

Sometimes I feel like people think that brides are delicate little flower princesses who get all dressed up and pretty for one special moment of their dreams, when really they're just normal people who just happen to be getting married. Things shouldn't have to be sugar-coated for grown-ass women. -mstar284
  • Options
    smokeybaileysmokeybailey member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_doing-dress-afterwards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:26ade7fb-5abf-46aa-af61-48e1d9b3011dPost:1972ab50-18d1-455d-bb8c-6c5ef8ec7560">Re: What are you doing with your dress afterwards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I donated my dress as well, to Brides Against Breast Cancer.  But I didn't ship it off straight from Vegas, I had to bring it home first, which I'm pretty sure was what OP was asking about.
    Posted by aerinpegadrak[/QUOTE]

My mom brought it home for my sister and then shipped it.  They just packed it up.
    Bi-oh-rama
    Now with more wedded bliss.

I don't get married often, but when I do, I do it in Las Vegas.

"Lvharpy could be your AE." - direy25
    "smokeybailey is the one shining beacon of light in this steaming turd of a thread." - daffodil_jill
    "The almighty smokeybailey has spoken." - some bitch on the Las Vegas board

• Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

One of our wedding guests is bringing it home for us, so we don;t have to cart it around while on honeymoon. Do you have any guests that are heading back straight after the wedding...?

www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Gribbles - I thought about that but feel bad asking a friend to haul my dress around, It's such a responsibility... what kind of response did you get when you asked?

Encore - To leave it with Debi is also a good idea. And a good way to get the cleaning over with!
  • Options
    jkhoutzjkhoutz member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you for the idea of donating it, Gemini! I love this idea.
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_doing-dress-afterwards?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:26ade7fb-5abf-46aa-af61-48e1d9b3011dPost:f903a91a-182f-4025-98ad-6aab3d8bff54">Re: What are you doing with your dress afterwards?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Gribbles - I thought about that but feel bad asking a friend to haul my dress around, It's such a responsibility... what kind of response did you get when you asked?
    Posted by wiwicaty[/QUOTE]

It's FI's dad who is bringing my dress and all of the suits we are hiring back to the UK, so that they can be returned ASAP. He was absolutely fine with it, and we are paying for his additional suitcase.

If you have a close family member I am sure they would be happy to help out!
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards