Nevada-Las Vegas
Options

Advice please

So.. I'm 3 weeks away from my wedding, and contacted the photographer to follow up on details about 1.5 weeks ago.  She hasn't replied yet, and I tried calling twice and I still can't get a hold of her.  I was told today that she's away due to a family emergency.  Now what should I do?  I think at this point, I just want to know if she'll show up or not.  This is not good :(

I'm not sure what I should do - either wait a few days to see if she'll call?  find another photographer - but what if she resolves the issue by then?  

Re: Advice please

• Options
    edited December 2011
    How did you find out? Did she contact you? I would try to contact whoever you got this info from and try and find out if this emergency is going to effect her ability to shoot the wedding and then take it from there. GL :)
    2011-2012 Races
    10/29/11 LA RockNRoll Min Half (5K) 42:58
    12/4/11 Vegas RockNRoll Half 3:14:53
    1/7/12 WDW Half 3:13:42
    1/15/12 RnR AZ 2:55:27 (PR!!)
    1/29/12 Tinkerbell 1/2 3:22:37 (To many picture stops!lol)
    Me:32 DH:33
    IFV w/ DE Only Option (On Hold For Now)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh boy, that's horrible.  I would run, not walk, to another photographer ASAP or sooner.  I really wouldn't bother to wait for your current photographer and instead call your bank to see if it's possible to do a credit dispute.

Not sure what you paid with your photog, but I'm using Deacon Tyler http://www.dtyler-photography.com and his prices for the summer are great.  But if he's booked, there's a bunch of other phortographers that are really popular here (Mike, Todd, Joey, etc)

Good luck and I hope it all comes out in the wash!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear such news.

Who is your photographer? Does she have an assistant or a co-shooter that might be able to do your pics?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Oh no, sorry for the stress : (  That's a tough one because you really have no way of knowing right now how long it'll take for her family issue to clear up.  Have you ever seen any other posts about people having problems with your particular photog?  If so and it was me, I would try to book someone else.  Good luck I hope it all works out okay.
    Planning a Vegas Vow Renewal!
  • Options
    ddchhichiddchhichi member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I called her number (should be her house number) and her husband picked up.  I asked if there's a better time to reach her and he said that she's away for a month due to family emergency.  He only said that he'll let her know that I called when she calls home.  I told him that my wedding is in July and whether she'll make it - he said he doesn't know. 

I paid by paypal in Feb - don't think I can get the money back.

Yes, sunnycanadian had a similar problem with the same photographer.  But in her case, the photographer was in the hospital and offered a second shooter (her daughter).

• Options
    edited December 2011
    There was no option of a second shooter? If I remember sunnycanadian's situation, she couldn't get her money back bc in the contract it said they would provide a 2nd shooter. If they are not offering one, I would get my money back!!!

Start looking now for another photographer!
  • Options
    jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Given her history, I'd find another photograhper. I would think she'd leave some instructions with her husband on how do deal or what to say in this situation. I think if she's able to have her daughter take pics, then she should have someone handle her clients and give them piece of mind whether it's tell them to find someone else or that she's able to be there.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is the clause related to alternate shooter in the contract:

In the event that Photographer is unable to provide Coverage, Photographer will make it's best efforts to secure the services of an alternate, qualified photographer, however, the liability of Photographer in any event shall be limited to the refund of the retainers then paid if a said photographer cannot be provided.

I'll see what my FI thinks after he gets home from work.  I have a feeling that we'll just end up hiring another photographer.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    She is out of town...her e-mail has a vacation response, etc., I guess I should clarify.
    Unless she has told you otherwise, I have no doubts she'll be there, etc. I'm not going to comment about other things, but even photographers have situations that take them out of town.
    As for the comment about her history, she has never left a bride in the lurch. Sunnycanadian wasn't pleased with her choice of having her daughter shot for her when she had back surgery. She has never had reviews about leaving a bride in the lurch.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That is strange - I did get some kind of Out Of Office auto reply email last week which doesn't say vacation, instead it said that she is away indefinitely :(

Anyways, I agree, I haven't seen any other bad reviews about her.  It's a scary thing to know that I'll be getting married 3 weeks away and I can't get a hold of one of the vendors.  Better yet, I get told from her household/studio(?) that she's away for a month due to a family emergency.

Yes, I know sunny backed out cuz she didn't like the second shooter idea.  I should have made that more clear in my previous post.  At least, she was in a position knowing that a photographer is bound to show up.  Whereas, in my case, I'm still in an uncertain state.  I haven't even gotten a chance to pay in full yet.

I just want a confirmation that someone representing her studio will be there at my wedding.  Anyways, I'm just trying to focus on finalizing my wedding photography plans and I have no interest of influencing others of not trusting/using certain photographer because of my one experience.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Quite honestly, I would find a new photographer. If you haven't paid your final deposit, I think it is worth piece of mind alone to have someone that will be there. Although I haven't read any negative reviews, you do not want to be the first to have negative feedback.

Everyone has emergencies arise, but the fact that you talked to her husband and the fact that he couldn't boost your confidence in her showing up, is worrisome.
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yes, I talked to FI, if the orginal photographer does contact us before our wedding, we can tell her exactly what happened and see if we can work something out.  We can use the hours for a tour or more tme for getting ready shots, whatever.  

I just want to have that final check off my list by the end of the week. 

Thanks everyone for their advice and support.  I really appreciate it and I'm going to think about it some more before I sleep tonight. 
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

I will agree that the indefinitely would make me as a bride go what? It should be a little bit more defined...like a week, or I will get back to you at my earliest convenience.
    My understanding of the situation is that her husband wrote the vacation response, and maybe that explains the wording (I know my hubby never says things like I tell him too!).
     I won't get into other people's personal situations as I don't know everything, but  I know that Amber is her back up, as I asked that when I booked my own wedding last year. I'm a questioner...and I don't think that is a bad thing...I urge everyone to ask about every clause up front. (Do that brides!)
    Again, not a photographer known for not showing up and making alternative arrangements. Amber does have some recent photos on her Michelle's blog...
    I hope your concerns get eased pretty soon. Wedding butterflies...I remember that feeling.

• Options
    SunnyCanadianSunnyCanadian member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Good grief!

I'm soo sorry to hear you are going through this! You definitely don't need the stress of wondering if your photog is gonna show up, soo close to the wedding. At least I got an email explaining Michelle's hospitalization and that Amber would be shooting our wedding!

Honestly? Her husband needs to get a clue, especially if he is answering her business calls. "She has a family emergency and will be gone a month". You DO NOT say this, especially when YOUR wedding is within a month! And he'll only let her know you called when she calls home?  Where is her daughter? If they are indeed "partners" she should be personally CALLING YOU and giving you some peace of mind.

Not impressed at all. Yes, family emergencies happen. But this is a BUSINESS. And she's had one family emergency after another in the past year and a half which of course is terrible but if you want to run a business have a contingency plan in place.

Do you feel comfortable calling her husband back and asking for Amber's number? I would maybe try that first to see if Michelle is still going to be available or if Amber is shooting your wedding. Then go from there...if you want to go ahead and book another photographer or stick with whatever is provided.

Good luck hun, and keep us posted on what happens!!
    BFP #1 MM/C discovered at 8w2d, loss 11/18/11
    I'll hold you in my heart until I hold you in heaven
    BFP #2 7/7/12, EDD 3/14/13, stick baby stick!
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    jccswljccswl member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_advice-please?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:91Discussion:2936cf42-1239-4de6-9bff-ad48cd9eb051Post:f405e22a-ec90-42b0-9b24-0e57db77c588">Re: Advice please</a>:
    [QUOTE]She is out of town...her e-mail has a vacation response, etc., I guess I should clarify. Unless she has told you otherwise, I have no doubts she'll be there, etc. I'm not going to comment about other things, but even photographers have situations that take them out of town.<strong> </strong> As for the comment about her history, she has never left a bride in the lurch. Sunnycanadian wasn't pleased with her choice of having her daughter shot for her when she had back surgery. She has never had reviews about leaving a bride in the lurch.
    Posted by mloeks[/QUOTE]

I should apologize for my statement, I was going on SunnyCanadian's experience only and it wasn't fair. I reacted to the stress the OP is going through and I felt that some sort of professional response should've been explained given that her wedding is weeks away.

The contract is distinct personal service agreement, with this, the photographer cannot just simply make a substitution. For example, if one wants Bobby Flay to cook for their wedding and he backs out and says he's sending his brother in his place this would be unjust as you were paying for Bobby Flay's services. Photography is a specialized service, and the clients expectation is to have the work of that photographer.

(I asked my DH who is an attorney, and says this are the basic rules, BUT this should not be taken as legal advice)
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    jccswl - thanks to you and your hubby for explaining that so easily because it sums up our feelings exactly with the situation we found ourselves in. We didn't book T0ner Photography based on Amber's photos and reviews, we booked because T0ner because of Michelle's photos and reviews and didn't feel it was fair we were being offered someone else. That was why we cut our losses and booked with another photographer.

We really did look forward with working with Michelle so I am sad it didn't turn out that way.
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree that everyone has emergencies but she runs a business and has brides like you waiting and wondering.  In my opinion she should be able to get back to you in some way - maybe a quick call, short email, or even assign someone else to contact you.  If it were me I would start looking into other photographers and at least find one that has that date open - with 3 weeks til the big day you might have a hard time even finding someone.  I would go up to the top of this page and look at the photographers that people recommend on this forum and email or call every single one on the list and hope one of them has the date open!  KUP and good luck!
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    A brief update:

I just got a reply from her daugther.  They're giving me a refund as they are not sure if they will be back in Vegas for my wedding.  I'm happy of the outcome as it'll be fair for both parties.

I've also contacted Deacon Tyler and he is available that day. 

I'm glad there is closure in my photography situation.  Thanks everyone for all their feedback and support.
  • Options
    mloeksmloeks member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Good luck on your wedding day! Enjoy every minute of the day, it really does go by very quickly!

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Glad you are receiving a refund and that it will all work out! 
    Anniversary
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Oh good, I'm sure you are going to LOVE Deacon! I'm sooo glad this worked out for you. Now just sit back, relax, and enjoy these last few weeks before you get hitched!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards